ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – April, 2012 #18

This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 23 Apr 2012 4:52 PM

Jen, this is nice.  Your swan looks good and all his head needs is to be a little more bulbous at the top.  I like the colors you used in the white shadows.  Also, I like the water splashes as he lands and stirs it up.  The choice of colors for the bg are good since he stands out so well against them.  Nice painting.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 24 Apr 2012 10:02 AM

My wife walked by while I was looking and pointed at this painting and said beautiful I agree

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 25 Apr 2012 5:16 AM

Jen - I love the drawing of your mum….   it was spot on.    I should try one of my mother.   I have several old photos…   yours is so nice.

your swan is beautiful…. 
Sandy -   your fishing boats are so inviting and colorful.   looks like they are outfitted for fishing and already to go.  nice ocean color and very nice sandy beach,  reminds me of Monterey bay…  hmmmm homesick again…..

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 25 Apr 2012 5:24 AM

Well folks,  I finally got to sit down and do something,      Mi Teintes Cranson grey 10x12.   color pencil and watercolor, ....  

I wanted to try out this paper,  I think Iike it.   I will have to try some other colored papers as well.  This is a swallowtail on Cone flowers.   I just wanted to do one with the wings open.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 25 Apr 2012 9:33 AM

Marsha, I'm so glad that you have managed to find time to create another charming piece of art.  The color combination is very pretty.  You have great detail on the butterfly and it looks so good.  I don't blame you for wanting the wings open.  The flower that he is sitting on has good values and color.  You used less detail on the other two so that the focal point is strong.  I like the background.  Very nice.

I often use Canon Mi-Tientes for colored pencil and I prefer to use the smooth side.  It looks as if you used the smooth side on this piece.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 26 Apr 2012 9:12 PM

Marsha- Very nice painting.The swallowtail is perfect and has good proportion with the open wings. It is in the sweet spot and I like that you used stronger color for the flower to add attention for the butterfly. Well done.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 27 Apr 2012 5:07 AM

Marsha this is excellant the swallowtail looks ready to fly at the slightest movement gorgious          James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Apr 2012 5:31 AM

Thank you everyone I loved working on it.  I will have to try another butterfly to compliment it,  I have a great picture of a Monarch in our back yard.   I will try that to go with the swallowtail. 

thanks again

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,395
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Apr 2012 11:27 AM
Marsha I love your butterfly and the flowers work well too. You are good at taking a picture and running with it. I am sorry I haven't been commenting but we are trying to hold the art group together and there are legal things and costs to look at and I am overwhelmed and everyone is raw so feelings close to the surface. Hopefully we can sort it out.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 28 Apr 2012 11:06 AM

Jen--My heart goes out to you. Dealing with sorrow is tough by itself. Dealing with business is tough too. Maybe you guys need a business consultant . Anyhow good luck to you in this matter.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 May 2012 11:20 AM

LTHANKS FOR HOSTING  FOR APRIL, JEN!  What a great job everyone did.  I am still working on your swan - I will post it eventually. 

I'll be posting the new May Challenge in just a little while and then I have 2 VERY SPECIAL photos to post over on the Chatter thead. 

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 4:33 PM

Hi Folks - I started this swan back in April but put it asside when I started having so many problems.  This is the second one I finished that I had set aside.  It makes me feel good to be painting again and even better that I can actually get up the stairs and still breathe.

It's 11x14 oil on canvas board. There's a glare on the upper right - I wish I could figure out what I'm doing with  the camera!

Holly

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Jan 2013 4:51 PM

Wow! Holly, when you come back, you come back strong.  This is a wonderful painting and I am so glad that you finished it and that you feel well enough to finish it.  The swan is exquisite and the wonderful golden-brown background is so perfect for setting off those spread wings.  The lighter foliage works well behind the black beak.  The color of the water is beautiful with good variation of values and hues.  You did a good job with the splashing water, too.  Very well done and beautiful.

If I didn't have paintings under the bed, behind the doors, etc., I'd ask how much it costs.  This would be an asset to anyone's decor. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 5:03 PM

Thanks, Sammy - This one made me feel pretty good too - - it was just sort of ho-hum when I left it in April.  I have finished your December 2011 truck in the snowy field, too.  (I will post it just as soon as Courtney finds this thread to number it - I figured if I posted my swan to make the thread jump to the top, then she could find it . . .  at least she got December and January #'d for us).

Holly

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Jan 2013 5:09 PM

Holly, the old truck in the snow reference photo is in Challenge #14 - November 22 - December 2011.  I did find # 18 once but can't fine it now.

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS