ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – April, 2012 #18

This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 8 Apr 2012 8:57 AM

Thank you Sandi, Sam and Jen . I enjoy trying to do portraits from old small B&W photos it 's a fun challenge       James

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 175
Trepidation wrote
on 16 Apr 2012 2:11 PM

I am not sure that  what I am doing is right...but you sure did something right!  This bunny is fantastic and has given me a "poke" to try something like it.  I'll proabably try a lot of different media to achieve the effect, since I have too many things, and never enough of  waht I actually need.  Thank you for the inspiration.  Trepidation ( Cape Breton )

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,870
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Apr 2012 2:26 PM
Trepidation, great name :) welcome. Please join us and use any and all mediums you want. Sammy is a great artist and inspires and helps us all so no need to be nervous about joining in with us. We are friendly and would love to see your art.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 16 Apr 2012 4:05 PM

Trepidation, welcome aboard.  Your self portrait that you posted in the Member Gallery on March 9, 2012 and is also named "Trepidation"  is very expressive and full of emotion,  I like the limited palette and think it is very well done.  Also, I note that you live in a very interesting and beautiful spot on the earth, Nova Scotia.  There must be many interesting painting subject there. 

We would be delighted to see your artwork.  If you create something from the Challenge reference photos, post them in that thread.  Anything and everything else you create can be posted in the Chatter thread.

Thank you for your kind words concerning "Happy Hoppy."  Our children were here for my hubby's 80th birthday the weekend of March 18, and the oldest loved that bunny and took it home with her.  A lot of her friends call her Hoppy since Hoppe (pronounced the same) was her maiden name.

We are looking forward to seeing your work.  You may post "Trepidation" in the chatter thread so that our small group can enjoy and comment on it.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 18 Apr 2012 4:08 PM

Trepidation- I love this name, welcome to our little corner here. i am always late to the party but I am trying to catch up. Hope to see your post here soon,

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,870
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Apr 2012 5:02 PM

I did this last night. Just a quick sketch that is slightly off in proportions.  Mum was a tiny little thing just five foot high.

In my sketchbook with 2b pencil

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 175
Trepidation wrote
on 20 Apr 2012 7:18 PM

I am totally lost.  Someone come and find me and get me back on track.  Lori/Trepidation

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 21 Apr 2012 8:49 AM

Jen, isn't it fun to do a drawing or painting of a loved one?  I always find myself smiling as the image emerges.  This is a good drawing of your Mum.  It looks like her.  I went back and forth to the reference photo several time.  At first, I thought that her body is facing to our left but her feet are facing straight.  But the reference photo reveals that you have it right on.  Then I thought that Mum's eyes were open and, again, the reference photo showed that you got it right. I like this.  Are you thinking about adding color?  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 21 Apr 2012 8:58 AM

Lori, in what way are you lost?  Are you confused as to what you would like to create?  Are you confused by this forum and it's workings?  Are you lost because you can't get yourself to get started?  Whatever it is, everyone here would like to help.  Just let us know exactly what you need and how we can help.

Concerning the reference photos, you don't have to do them exactly as posted.  If a rose is posted, you can do any rose.  A swan was posted and you can do a swan of your choosing.  Of you can do just a tiny section of a reference photos.  Be creative and make it your own.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 21 Apr 2012 9:45 AM

Very nicely sketched Jen , I tryed  doing a painting of my mother in a similar pose from about the same age but was never happy with it this is a much better likeness          James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 21 Apr 2012 1:02 PM

Jen- Your drawing has very likeness of your Mum's photo. Everything is perfect even her little fingers. The face is spot on. You are getting real good at Portrait.

O.K. Finally I finished my fishing boats. I have been very busy with personal stuffs. A couple of Drs. appointments plus the Colonoscopy last week the result of which is very good, no polyph at all so next appointment is five years. Next week is blood test for my primary care and for one other doctor. I squeezed my painting time in yesterday afternoon, the result of which is not very good but I will post now. then I have to get dressed to go to a wedding of my cousin's son in Tampa.

Fishing Boats at Clearwater Beach.

Acrylic painting with some Oil Pastel -Erengi

Gesso coated watercolor cold press paper 140 lbs.

Size is 9"X11"

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 21 Apr 2012 3:46 PM

I sure like the way you did the beach colors  nice painting Sandi .                   James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,870
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Apr 2012 6:09 PM
Thanks Sammy, Sandy and James for your encouraging words. I do think she is slightly off but can't put my finger on it. Sandi lovely works on the boats. They are so colourful and the sea and sand look great. The darker punch of the grasses give great depth. Glad you got such good inspiration.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 21 Apr 2012 7:10 PM

Sandi, don't you just love the brilliance of OPs.  Very nice beach scene.  The sand is well done and so are the boats.  The motion and colors of the sea are super.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,870
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Apr 2012 1:11 AM

Well i did this quickie with pastel pencils and nupastels on 9x12 colorfix paper.  The head is a bit off looks more snake than bird!

Oh well at least I am doing some art.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS