ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – April, 2012 #18

This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Mar 2012 10:15 PM

Welcome to  ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – April, 2012

Challenge:   Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure.   In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:   - April 1, 2012 – May 1, 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note:  When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post.  We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what.  An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts.  (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Holly know and she will send instructions to you.)

(To submit photos and suggestions for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with Holly [holland2] here on this forum and attach your photo or photos.  OR – volunteer to host the thread for a specific month.  Check out the Volunteer Hosting Schedule thread.)

Happy Painting!

Challenges: Easter is in this month so let easter in all it's forms be your inspiration.  Then try it in another medium or do an underpainting.or try a subject you might shy away from. Most of all have fun!!

1.  Just to get you in the mood!

Photo from RIL

2.From Karla's garden

by Karla Van Brunt

3.The ice cream lady, UK

by Jen

4.My Mum as a young woman cica1925?

from Mum's album

5. Flood gates on the Thames at sunset. London UK

by Howard

6. Tundra Swan

From the RIL

7. Fishing Boats, UK

By Jen

Well hope there is something for everyone. Enjoy!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 8:54 AM

WOW, Jen - What great choices!  I think my first 2 favorites are that cute little duckie sitting on top of the oranges and the action shot of the swan.  What a beautiful young lady your Mother was and what a wonderful photo.  Butterflies intrigue me - I have tried several - the first a total failure and the second turned out sort of OK - I may have to try this one.  I just love the ice cream lady - I might like to pay her a little visit several times a day!  The fishing boats look sort of forlorn sitting up on the beach instead of in the water.  The floodgates on the Thames is a very interesting photo - that one would be very difficult for me since I have never seen anything like those structures and would have a hard time depicting them (maybe not, but it seems that way to me).

Thanks for your hosing this month!  We all appreciate it (and me, particularly!) 

(By the way, folks, Jen got this all put together and posted with NO HELP from me!!  She's moving on up in the techie world - - applause, applause Wink !! )

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 8:54 AM

WOW, Jen - What great choices!  I think my first 2 favorites are that cute little duckie sitting on top of the oranges and the action shot of the swan.  What a beautiful young lady your Mother was and what a wonderful photo.  Butterflies intrigue me - I have tried several - the first a total failure and the second turned out sort of OK - I may have to try this one.  I just love the ice cream lady - I might like to pay her a little visit several times a day!  The fishing boats look sort of forlorn sitting up on the beach instead of in the water.  The floodgates on the Thames is a very interesting photo - that one would be very difficult for me since I have never seen anything like those structures and would have a hard time depicting them (maybe not, but it seems that way to me).

Thanks for your hosing this month!  We all appreciate it (and me, particularly!) 

(By the way, folks, Jen got this all put together and posted with NO HELP from me!!  She's moving on up in the techie world - - applause, applause Wink !!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 11:26 AM
Thanks Holly! The flood gates picture fascinated me with all the reflections on the strange gate shapes and in the water so thought someone might get inspired with it, and the boats could be made into an interesting painting or sketch. I put Mum in for those who liked to sketch figures and then Karla sent me pictures of her garden and I thought oh yes that will work for a challenge. She was delighted to give her permission. glad you like something in there and hope you will be able to paint with us. Another month clser to retirement for you. Yea!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 11:57 AM

All very nice photos Jen  I hope to try a few    James

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 8:37 PM

Jen- Nice and interesting photos. that should appeal to everyone. Your Mom has your likeness (Or is it the other way around?). Anyhow I love seeing old pictures and look at how they live and dress in those days.

Hope I will get to do a few of this month.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Apr 2012 8:49 PM

Great pic's they all offer some sort of challenge.   I will give it a try as well.   Good job getting them posted...  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 2 Apr 2012 1:44 PM

Congratulations, Jen, on your new found techie abilities.  You can expect to see some lovely paintings based on your excellent reference photos.   They are lovely, especially the swan. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 5 Apr 2012 8:04 PM

As you probably know, this isn't a new painting.  It is one I did about two years ago but is appropriate for Easter.  This is one of two scratch art works I did.  Using a piece of clay board coated with India ink, I scratched the image into the board using Xacto knives and other sharp tools.  Then I tinted the white marks with colored pencil.  It's 7"x5"

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Apr 2012 12:18 AM
I love your bunny and I am happy to see him again here. Very suitable for Easter.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 6 Apr 2012 11:30 AM

Very nicely done Sam  the eye coloring is beautiful        James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 7 Apr 2012 9:24 AM

Jen's mom  I was afraid to try to guess dress colors

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Apr 2012 6:01 PM

Sammy- The bunny revisited. He is so fluffy and oh..so cute and worth seeing him again. Very Appropriate for Easter. I have not tried this form of arts and I probably will not do it well. This is a super work, so delicate.

James- Nice portrait. She has the likeness of Jen's Mom. Black and white looks good for portrait esp. in the old days. Your work is excellent. Good to see you again James.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 7 Apr 2012 7:32 PM

Jen, James and Sandi, thank you for your comments on my bunny.  It was fun to do.

James, I see that you like to do portraits.   This one of Jen's mom really shows up well against the black.  Nice, soft subtle skin tones. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Apr 2012 10:17 PM
James nice job you got a likeness of her. It is difficult to add colour to the black and white but you did it!!!!

Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS