Challenge # 17 - March 2012

This post has 85 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 1 Mar 2012 12:32 AM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE #17

Challenge:   Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure.   In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:   - March 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note:  When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post.  We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what.  An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts.  (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let me know and I will send instructions to you.)

Happy Painting!

Challenges:

1.  Monthly Theme:

Let’s Celebrate Spring!  March 20th is the first day of spring.

The theme for this month is signs of spring.   Paint any sign of spring that you can think of: plants, blossoms, fruits, vegetables, new births, clothing, bonnets, sports, weather, etc.   I tried to find a kite flying reference photo without success.  That is definitely a sign of spring and of March.   Some of the following reference photos contain signs of springs.  

2.  Crocus – one of the first signs of spring.  Photo from Public Domain.

3.  This Garden at the Canadian Section of Epcot in Disney World is a sign of spring.  There are so many ways that this can be cropped.  I began to crop it for you but then decided that it would be interesting to see how you choose to crop it or if you opt to paint the entire scene.  Photo taken by me, A Gal Named Sam.

4.  Model A Ford, my hubby says between 1928 and 1931.  One of the challenges here is to relocate the gas pump so that it isn’t so centered.  Or, as Holly’s oil painting instructor says, “Go ahead and break the rules.”  Photo from Public Domain.

5.  Still Life with Grapes.  Grapes can be a challenge but are so beautiful when painted with lots of colors and values.  Some of these grapes are nearly lost in shadow and some reflect beautifully on the glass table top.  This is a good value study.   Photo from Public Domain.

6.  New born animals, both domestic and wild, are a sure sign of spring.  Your challenge is to get the horses to stand out from the background.  Photo from Public Domain.

7.  My daughter, Nancy.  I think she’s gorgeous but then I’m bias.  I like to paint portraits using photographs taken in strong, natural light avoiding reference photos that are taken with a flash.  Some of the leaves in the lower part of the photo were too close to the camera and look blurry.   Ignore those.  Photo submitted by my daughter, Nancy.

8. Fledgling Robin – definitely a sign of spring.  This photo is beautiful as it is with the red background.  However, you could challenge yourself to place him elsewhere such as on a nest or a branch or whatever comes to mind.  Photo from Public Domain.

I’m eagerly looking forward to the great works of art you will create using these reference photos.  Enjoy!  Sam/Sammy

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Mar 2012 7:03 AM

OH SAMMY - these are just fantiastic!    Thankl you SO MUCH for such a wonderful array of fantastic photo references! 

I just have so many ideas about painting spring for March 20 - unfortunately, I don't do well without a reference - - maybe that's going to be my big challenge for the month!  Those little crocus are so fresh and springy too - mine have come and gone (and I cut on my daffodils last week when we had a threat of snow - - which didn't come, by the way.  WOW on the colors and all the possibilities of crops in the Canadian section of Epcot.    Oh, I should have worked on Sgt. Reckless when I posted him a while back - would have been a really good warm up for your Mama and Baby horses - how sweet they are.  Your daughter IS gorgeous - and I'm NOT biased (except maybe to the photographer who I assume is you!)  What a great portrait study - do I brave up and try another one in oils this time?  We'll see - after the mess I made sweet little Haidyn, I'm sort of afraid of another portrait attempt.  That adorable little robin looks like he wants his Mommy and a good worm or two.

Oh, and I almost fogot to mention the still life - I'll bet I could do that one - - it seems I've had a little experience grapes lately. 

Great challenges, Sammy - - THANK YOU SO MUCH! 

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Mar 2012 7:54 AM

BTW - Sammy  - - Your hubby is right about the year range on that Model A - they were only manufactured during those years - - the 1928 is, of course, the most coveted and valuable.  My first hubby restored a 1929 (in the late 60's/early 70's) - we had lots of fun going to shows, etc, - - My son now owns it and treasures it even over his Harleys!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Mar 2012 1:34 PM
Sammy great photos. When I feel more energetic i' ll have a go. Love that one of your beautiful daughter! Thanks so much for doing this.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Mar 2012 1:34 PM
Sammy great photos. When I feel more energetic i' ll have a go. Love that one of your beautiful daughter! Thanks so much for doing this.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Mar 2012 3:21 PM

Sammy- As always you have a variety of Challenges. I love the beautiful colors of the crocus, the garden at Epcot is beckoning at me, the model A should be a nice challenge since I have never tried painting car. The still life is up my alley since I have sold my still life that has a bunch of grapes mixed with other fruits, Mama an baby horses are so touchingly tender, your gorgeous daughter with a sweet smile and last but not least the ruffled, fluffy and pitiful baby bird that is asking for your kindness. What great choices. I have to do some deep thinking now!

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 10:43 AM

Sam's daughter

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 11:52 AM

At the pumps

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 11:54 AM

James- Wow! Where have you been? Soooooo.. glad to have you back. Hope you have been well and the Princess and the Frog are doing well too.

Love this portrait of Sammy's daughter. The colors are beautiful. Good brush strokes. The hair is well done and good proportion on her face and nice shadows too. She looks so gorgeous and could be your other princess. Please do more artworks and start posting again. We all love your work.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 12:03 PM

James- Apparently we crossed post. This model A is terrific and is such a show piece. Good colors, good proportion, the red shadow underneath set it off so well. This scene must have taken a lot of imagination. Wonder is it you who is behind the steering wheel?

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 12:56 PM

Thank you Sandi {I hope Sam and Nancy will forrgive me ]  we moved to town [pop 400] last summer I have been doing extensive remodeling on our new home been very busy ,I've also had a bad case of lack of inspiration . The first car I ever rode in or drove was a 1928 model A ,the first car I ever owned [in my mothers name since I was only 15 you could get a licence at 15 then1949 with your parents sig ]  was a 1929 model A coupe like this  mechanical brakes  gas tank forward of the windshield  no heat I remember them well                         James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Mar 2012 1:37 PM

James. welcome back stranger.  You have been missed and we'd like to hear more from you.  Great portrait of my daughter.  It does resemble her.  You're not afraid of the darks which is so good in giving objects shape and form.  I like the play of darks and lights on her face.

I love the Model A at the pumps.  The car looks so good and the strong shadow under it anchors it so well.  Very nice painting.  Is that you in the driver's seat?  My hubby said he learned how to drive in a Model A.  I think he said 1931.Of course, that was before my time! Wink 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Mar 2012 1:49 PM

James, I didn't see the posts by you and Sandi until I sent the previous one.  It's interesting that we both asked if that is you behind the wheel.

Where is your small town of 400 people located?  It must be in the country.  I hope you enjoy your new home and location.  And, I hope that you now have more time to create art.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 2:46 PM

Thanks Sam .It was my intent to give this an 1930 setting but it could havebeen as late as 1960  model A's were as common till about 1955  as beattles werea generation later ,you could buy one for as little as 25 dollars [500 dollars in todays money] that is'nt me, my first four cars were 2 model A's a  1932 model B, only year made and a 1941 willys sedan all within one year       Oh yes Readstown southwest Wisconsin                       James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 2:53 PM

Hi all James I like both of your paintings,very nice work. Here is my  Mar. spring challenge input,the bears come out of hibernation

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 6 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS