challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 24 Nov 2012 4:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.  I'm really excited about what all of you are doing and the growth I see in your work.  It is also exciting to see new people and to have people return.  It's so terrific to be able to share and discuss our work with other artist.

Catherine, nice strokes on the angel's wing and hair.  Good values on the angel on the left.  Nice study piece.

Bob, it is so interesting to watch the progression of the musical instrument.  These photos better illustrate the color resulting from the firing.  Can't wait to see how you use those copper foil leaves.  They are beautiful as they are.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 24 Nov 2012 6:49 PM

Sam - Here is the patina process - lightning fast brush strokes with very dilute liver of sulfur gel patina solution alternating with blasts of water to gradate color and to slow it down; then stopped with a gentle baking soda rub; will spray fix leaves with Nikolas brass instrument lacquer before epoxying them into the horn interior.

- Bob

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 24 Nov 2012 6:56 PM

Bob, what a complex process.  Those leaves are too pretty to hide inside the horn!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 24 Nov 2012 7:04 PM

Thanks, Sam - but they'll live inside for the twofold purpose of reflecting sound (like overhead panels in a symphony hall) and the illusion of a little "sound fire" inside - hoping they'll catch sound and light harmoniously.

- Bob

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 24 Nov 2012 7:41 PM

I told you that I wouldn't be doing any more of the big art shows since it is too much work for hubby and me. Well, we decided to do one today just to try to unload some art. We did sell one large one (the three white ibises on the easel) and three small ones on the table. We didn't sell even one print. That's unusual. Anyhow, it wasn't too bad. I took less art to make it easier.

I was not able to get a good print of the white ibises, "Birds of a Feather."  This gives you some idea how it looks.  It is colored pencil.  The water was scribbled on and then disolved with Turpinoid, an odorless turpintine.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 24 Nov 2012 8:03 PM

Many beautiful works, Sam - ibises set a great mood - glad for your sales.

- Bob

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 9:09 AM

Bob your leaves are very interesting.  Do you hammer them into any kind of form or just use a tool on a flat surface??

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 9:11 AM

Sam your Ibis are very nice.  Do you have wild one ones where you live?  They are a very pretty bird.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 25 Nov 2012 9:22 AM

Geri, the ibises are very plentiful in our community and we often find them in our yard.  My hubby doesn't like what they deposit on the driveway.  The photo for this painting was taken on a lake that we were passing on our golf cart.  There was about a dozen of them and they posed for a long time..

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 10:24 AM

When Mom & Dad lived in Fl. she liked to fish.  She had a blue heron and a snowy egret that would fly down when they would see her on the dock.  She would throw them the little bluegill that she caught.  She called them by name and they become very tame and would get close to her.  It was a neat thing.  You just wanted to keep your minnow bucket closed of all you would have is water.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 10:48 AM

Hi Geri - I cut the leaves from thin copper foil, then put them on the little hinged lazy susan (shown below), which I've covered with a cork disc and carpet nonskid;  then tooled in the lines with the back end of a paintbrush.  The carpet nonskid grabs and yields well for surface tooling, embossing, engraving, etc.  Also nice to have a rotating surface for drawing and painting.

The pix below show the idea of working in the round with an end-grain bamboo wood engraving for (invitation card) block prints, and painting in the round.

You get the idea - working in the round is fast and fun.

I made the rotating support above for less than $10.00.

Best regards - Bob

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 12:48 PM

Bob pretty neat I thought you worked the veins more like you emboss leather

The wood engraving is done with gravers like you engrave metal with?

I am working on a simple one color woodcut on cloth to use as a memento to an 1812 rendezvous that we have every year.  I have the design figured out but I have not started cutting yet.  I will post it when I do.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 2:21 PM

Geri - Yes, I use a lot of the same gravers for wood and metal - was inspired by the end-grain wood nature engravings of Thomas Bewick - the master.

The blocks last for many decades - Bewick's are in good shape after 1+ centuries.

Your project sounds like fun!

example after printing and hand coloring:

- Bob

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 4:09 PM

BOB -WOW- Your production comes in fast and furious. All of your work is unique and beautiful. I can visualize a genius whose thought process flows swiftly and who meticulously creates each piece with special technique producing special art pieces. You are one of a kind!.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 4:14 PM

Catherine- Love your angels. Have to admire you for using pencils which I can't use due to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on both wrists. Stay with it you have potential.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Page 92 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  90 91 92 93 94  Next >  ... Last » | RSS