challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 5:01 PM

I have checked out Fred's Bears and they are wonderful.   would make a great Christmas present for some kids....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Nov 2012 5:08 PM

Marsha, the face and hand look to be cement or some hard substance.  The contrast with the soft background is stricking.  Please tell us a little bit about this work.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 5:10 PM

Thanks Catherine, this is a creation of my mind.... a bit deep bit I was in a weird mood and had seen some old statues and pulled this together...  I tend to do a lot of imagination pieces...  I have to get out of my mind....  I have some other ideas going on as well. 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 5:33 PM

Thanks Sam...

It is a colored pencil...  the face and hand are stone, (cold) ,  the cast shadow is supposed to depict land, yet is floating in a dark watery place,  one recessed eye is looking inward the the other is looking outward there is a light in the distance but far away...  the sky is dark and reflected in the water  the hand is either helping or pulling or getting ready to cover the mouth or the eyes... or all of the above...   The light is coming from within as well.  

Hence the Title  "DEEP"     /////    deep explanation,    hmmmm   you asked...!

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 13 Nov 2012 12:05 AM

Marsha, there is a lot of emotion involved with your painting "Deep."  It seems the figure is being introspective and isn't sure he/she likes what he/she sees.  The floating sensation may be a sense of disconnect.  She sees a colorful world but it doesn't seem to be very welcoming.  I think every viewer will respond to it differently.  That's creative.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 4:31 AM

Hi all - - There is no "sneaking in" to catch up for me.  I am so behind in even reading most of this - - although, like Grizzly, I am able to at least marginally keep up thru email - - but even that misses a lot of posts.  For about the last 2 weeks my breathing has been improving at a very steady rate - - for about 6 - 8 weeks prior to that - - - I even got kicked out of rehab because my oxygen level was so low.  I'm so tired of all this mess - - sometimes, even when I am feeling better, I get just overwhelmed with all I have missed and all that I wanted to be doing and couldn't - - and then it just goes 'round & 'round in circles of what could easily turn into selfe-destruction.  I've been struggling to just get up the energy to go upstairs to my studio (and I can do it now, and breathe at the same time.)  I have so many paintings that were started and just left abandoned - - I couldn't figure out where or what I wanted to start on - - finally, I just pulled out a new canvas and started working on Sammy's old truck in the snow field - - can't remember right now which Challenge # it is, but I will post it there when I complete it - - probably later on this week or weekend.  I have even remembered to take several photos thru the process, so maybe I'll post it as a WIP.

Reading thru this thread, has brought a little tune to my head that just won't go away - - I'm gonna give it to you guys just so I won't be singing alone.  "Do you want to swing from a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar, and be better off than you are - - - - OR WOULD YOU RATHER BE A FROG???"   So many cute frogs and bears.

I am so encouraged for our group with all of the new folks and some of our old favorites returning - - I'll be so glad to be active again.  SAMMY, you are our Angel of Mercy!!  Thank you so much for being you and for caring!!!!

Love you all, guys - - keep painting and posting - - your work has kept me movitavate to breathe so I can paint!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 5:15 AM

Holly Holly,   hi there.... I'm glad to see you here...  I'm sure I speak for everyone that we wish you to get well...  

glad you popped in...

Sam...  you have great perception.....   It looks like my painting scared everyone away....

I also used OMS for the water I forgot to add that...

I have been working on some happy ones I will post them very soon.....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 13 Nov 2012 7:13 AM

Oh, Holly, it is delightful to hear from you. And even more delightful to learn that you are painting. We can't wait to see the old truck which was posted in the 2011 December Challenge.

Yes, we have some new members and Alex is back.  Her work is always so enjoyable. We've contacted Cindy since she is so big on making cards.  She hasn't responded and I'm concerned that since she is in the reserves, that she may have been deployed.  Goodness, I hope not.

Do keep us posted as to how you are doing even if you aren't able to post anything.  We worry about you.  And to answer the question, I'd rather swing from a star.  I hope you are able to do that too.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 9:25 AM

Gee Holly, Great to have you back and sincerely hope you have improving health and I'm looking forward to seeing your work again

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 9:42 AM

Hi everyone, and warmest Seasons Greetings - Sincerely sorry to be away so long.

Touched by Holly's return, and have received kind notes from Sam and Marsha.

I've been too busy with work and family matters to participate, but hope that things will calm down sooner than later.

I've been doing more plein air engraving and engraving from life on 4x6" copper plates, and have been doing more borosilicate glass sculpture in the recent past - some pix and links to YouTube videos:

Copper banded butterfly fish, Alan Ladd, cherry blossom:

YouTubes with some of my original music and art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4n22B__fM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBmahb6qxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUKYcZ9xgNI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzl5NzjauX8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJy23-bHNkY&feature=relmfu

For Marsha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpaFar-XCs

Hearfelt and humble best to all for the Holidays.

Fondly, Bob in SF

PS:  Holly - remember my remote post about Qunol - a must for many who may suffer chronic health problems since Coenzyme Q10 is the first and rate limiting step in the development of all energy creation in mitochondria (cellular power plants occupying 25% of the volume of each cell in the body), ie ADP begets ATP (the real "energy currency"); certainly worth a try if your doctor agrees; (see also: Mizuno K, et al. Antifatigue effects of coenzyme Q10 during physical fatigue. Nutrition. 2008 Apr; 24(4):293-9. Epub 2008 Feb 13)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 3:26 PM

To show that I do have happy thoughts...  Here is " The Greatest Gift"   Watercolor  4x6 card

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 3:34 PM

That is a very sweet painting Marsha. You know we can't be happy all the time or something would be wrong with us.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 5:09 PM

Holly great to have you back and feeling better is a bonus!  Waiting to see the old truck picture.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,852
Points 47,555
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 5:54 PM
Holly so good to see you again. If we could all breathe for you we would. What a bummer! I am delighted you are feeling well enough to paint again. I have done that old truck and it is fun to do. I look forward to seeing your rendition! Take care of yourself and just take one day at a time. We all miss you and pray you can get sorted out and on the road to recovery. Have fun! Not sure I want to swing from a star as I prefer my feet to stay on the groung when swinging but surely don't want to be a frog although James frog seems to have fun!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,852
Points 47,555
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Nov 2012 5:57 PM
Marsha I am not sure I could paint my darker side and fears at least not in pastel. Maybe with oils and a big brush. You certainly made and earie but beautiful painting. I love the Santa delivering to baby Jesus. A really sweet idea done well. Glad you are back on the light side!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 86 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  84 85 86 87 88  Next >  ... Last » | RSS