challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 11:56 AM

Geri-The colors all work together in a strong way yet a soft way. It looks great!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 12:02 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 12:07 PM

I drew this early this morning. It's too big at 12x18 to put through the scanner and I had to use my phone and email to myself. This is the biggest sketch I've ever done aside from drawing on a wall at my other house. It's sketch paper using an 8B pencil I did a really fast sketch and then tweaked it off and on up til now.  I'm trying to get geared up to start trying my hand at figure drawing. The orchid painting from yesterday isn't all the great but parts of it are alright so I'll scan those two little pictures and post them in a couple of days.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 1:07 PM

Alex ( I wonted to name our daughter Alex) Thank you for your comments.  The eggs are in that position because originally there was a burner next to them and running off the canvas.  I was having a terrible time trying to paint them and for some reason they magically disappeared.Wink

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 1:16 PM

Catherine we used to do quick figure (clothed) drawings in college.  We drew on newsprint and I liked to use Cont'e crayon or a regular dark colored wax crayon.  In the few seconds that you had to draw the crayons forced you to do very loose drawings with no detail.  Just a thought that maybe you would like to try.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Nov 2012 1:23 PM

Catherine, this is a great drawing of orchids.  It would be really pretty in color.  I particularly like the leaves since you varied the shapes and used lots of values.  One thing to point out is that if the curve at the top of the pot is that rounded and you can see down into the pot, then the curve at the bottom of the pot would be more curved.  I hope that makes sense to you.  

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 1:59 PM

Geri- I have a soft charcoal pencil, a china marker that just seemed to show up in my stuff lol and also a Cont'e Sanguine pencil so I could any of those. I have a big drawing board set up in my living room that I think would be just fine to stand at and do quick big drawings. A while back I bought a 42 inch. mixed material angel that has a wreath of roses in her one hand and the other empty and her wings can be removed. She's in the living room and I have her on an end table that makes her about the right height for an acutal adult size person. I can work on her until I am able to actually take a class. I can see that I start out doing a loose drawing and then instead of stopping I get caught up in the details. I could have done more than one loose drawing if I hadn't used the time doing details on this one.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 2:04 PM

That makes total sense Sam and I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out. Maybe I will try to go back in and correct that. Yes, they would be pretty in color and I'll have to do a fast sketch on watercolor paper next time so I can paint it. I'm going to post two more pictures if that's ok. One is of another orchid I have that hasn't bloomed yet and painted a few months ago. The other is a vase of little sunflower looking flowers and some things from my yard that I painted last month. I painted the orchid inside and sat outside to do part of the sunflower and vase picture.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 2:05 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 2:20 PM

Sam I will have to post the other picture tomorrow. It's in my member's gallery under Quiet Celebration. I can't seem to find it anywhere in my pictures here in this laptop.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Nov 2012 3:40 PM

Catherine, you manage to put the watercolor on and leave it without overworking.  That is a big plus.  The orchid leaves are great.  Wonderful shapes, colors and good values.  I particularly like the purple on the leaves.  It may help to put a little darker value in a few spots of the roots and the shadow side of the pot to give it the feeling of roundness.  I like this one a lot and praise your masterful use of watercolor.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 7:02 PM

Thank you for the compliment Sam. I've been a little "art needy" today. I'm not usually like that but it's so nice to have a place to show my work and get honest feedback and good advice. I went ahead and rounded that pot out more and it looks much better regardless of the fact it's leaning to the left a little. Thank you for your time today as I know you're still busy with your daughter. I hope she is healing quickly.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 5 Nov 2012 12:39 AM

Just sitting around and decided to draw a cement ornament I have out in the back yard. 

one color "Marine Green" prisma color pencil.  time 2 hours.   5x8 Strathmore pad.  No Background.

Titled "I Love My Leisure Time"

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Nov 2012 3:11 AM

Very cool. I Iike the green color. I might have to pick up a couple of colored pencils.  You're shading is very nice too.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Nov 2012 7:25 AM

Your frogs are very well done and cute too.  Good job.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 80 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  78 79 80 81 82  Next >  ... Last » | RSS