Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 7:23 PM

Jen- Nice squirrell, he looks like he was concentrating on his munchee and really enjoying it. I can see the the gleeful look in his eyes. His tail is bushy and standing up. Quite a guy! Excellent job.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 7:30 PM

Marsha- How cute, Santa with his little darling deer. I like the skin tone on Santa's face. His hat looks like velvet and  Rudolf's eye looks so innocent. What a lovely post. Good job

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,915
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 7:47 PM
Thanks Marsha, they are little pests sometimes but I do love to watch them at play. I love your woody Santa and his loving friend. It makes a fun Christmas card too. Great job!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Dec 2011 12:43 AM

Marsha, you're amazing.  You tackle any subject regardless of how difficult and you do a good job.    I think Rudolf is adorable.  You did Santa very well, especially his beard.  I like the green bg.  You can be proud of this one. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2011 5:39 AM

Thank you Jen, Sandy and Sammy.   I appreciate the kind words. 

Sammy I do have Haidyn's two photos both mapped out don't know if I will get a chance to finish them this year.  I'm sure you will enjoy her at Christmas. 

I may work on another Woody,  I will be ahead of the game for my next year's Cards.  Everyone in this challenge is so good, I've certainly enjoyed meeting you all.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Dec 2011 6:24 AM

Marsha, we have enjoyed you as a member of our group.  You fit right in.  You can go back to any Challenge thread and post a painting of one of the reference photos.  As you saw, Sandi just posted her candle still life on glass in a previous Challenge thread.

Also, you may not know that if you paint anything that is not from a reference photo, you can post it in the Chatter thread and you will get the same type of responses plus some chatter.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 22 Dec 2011 5:28 PM

Hi All- Here is my Squirrel that I've just finished. I dragged it for a week, doing a few minutes at a time in between other chores. This is called "Squirrel with Cherry Blossoms". Had a hard time with flowers as usual.

Watercolors on 11"X15" cold press paper 140 lbs.

Actual size of painting 9"X11"

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2011 6:11 PM

What an adorable Squirrel,  out of the winter and into spring....  I wonder what he is eating....?   I love the branch and blossoms.... and snow capped mountains in the background.   darling....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Dec 2011 6:52 PM

Sandy, great job with the squirrel.  Good values.  Nice highlight in the eye.  You had to come up with your own feet because I think in the reference photo, his feet were buried in the snow.  Nice lighting and shadow on the branch.  Those kind of flowers are alway tough.  You did them well.  I like the variety of colors.  It's good that you kept the sky light.  The branch and squirrel stand out very well against it.  Love the distant snow-capped mountains.  Good job!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,915
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Dec 2011 10:20 PM

Sandi: Great work on the squirrel. You have captured his alert but knibbley pose up in the tree. I love the Cherry blossoms and snowy mountains. It gives it a very Japonese feel. Good adaptation of the ref.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,915
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Dec 2011 10:24 PM

I made a start on the snow bound truck today but it wont be finished until next year as this was my last class of the year. Anyway I thought you might like a look. Still a lot of colours to go and I am still getting used to the slickness of oil paint after the pastels. it is for the art Auction again so 6 x6 canvas in oil.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 23 Dec 2011 7:01 AM

Jen, good start on the lonely, old truck.  Excellent drawing.  It will be fun to put the rusty colors on it.  I like the conifers in the bg.  I'm looking forward to seeing it completed in January.  Oil would be a challenge after working with pastels.  Congratulation on trying a new medium.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 24 Dec 2011 7:27 PM

Marsha, Sammy, Jen- Thanks for very encouraging and nice words, I had vision of a squirrel that lives in Japan and it was excited about Springtime coming and it went around digging up nuts and such and feasting until it gets plump. Cherry Blossoms are very symbolic to Japanese people. They celebrate the flowers when blooming season comes. They symbolized the flowers with the intensity and ephemeral nature of life-extreme beauty and quick death.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 24 Dec 2011 7:31 PM

Jen- Nice beginning of the jalopy. The snow looks believable already. Hope you will have time to get it finished. Can't wait to see how it develops.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 26 Dec 2011 11:43 AM

Merry Christmas to everyone, wishing you all the best.  It seems that I just don't have the time to work on the challenges the way I did.  My daughter had a baby and here husband is a few thousand miles away from home so I am spending most my free time helping her with the baby and a 2 year old, which is fun but so tiring.  Here is a picture I did last Christmas. 

I love looking at all the art here and I feel bad I haven't been able to keep up but please remember I am 100% loving each picture and looking forward to a challenge soon.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Page 9 of 13 (194 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS