Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 10 Dec 2011 8:13 PM

Fred- Love your big Santa who looks questioningly at the little person on his laps. I am not sure whether that is a boy or girl with long pony tail. Santa chose a very pleasant seat in nice surrounding to visit. The pine trees are beautiful esp. the big one. Imagine they don't have to cut and transport the Christmas tree, it is right there!

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 10 Dec 2011 9:44 PM

Sandi, I have an 8x10 photo of Haidyn here waiting for me to get to work on it so I'm able to compare.  You captured her likeness very well.  The lightening of her eyes makes them look so life-like.  In fact they are beautiful.  I like that they are not all one color or value.  Removing the bridge did help and she does look younger.  You now have the shape of her face.  I just love those folds around her mouth and you did those so well. She needs a little bit more shadow around the inside corner of her left eye (our right). The shadow is pretty light but the way it is now she looks flat there and has lots of curves everywhere else.  Also, a tiny bit of shadow on the same side of the indentation that goes from the center of the nose to the center of the mouth.  She looks flat there, too.

I think that you have a beautiful painting and should be proud of it especially since it is in watercolor.  After you touch it up, post it again.  Sometime next week, I'm going to tell her folks to check out this thread.

We have five other great grandchildren who will probably be posted here eventually but I'll post adults the next two times, one male and one female.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 11 Dec 2011 5:12 PM

Thank you Jen, Sammy and Sandi for the nice comments,

Susan I love your nativity.  Jen the wishing well has some great blends very nice, your sketch was very good as well.   Fred, gee what can I say,,  the old forgotten and abandoned truck and out house and barn or house in the back were great I especially loved the sky... and your cute critters with Santa were very cute.  Cindy, your white pointsettas were really good and your portrait was bright and delightful, the red pointsettas were nice with bright colors as well.  and Sandi,  I love your portrait and the changes you made were just the touch. 

I am working on the red pointsettas and the portrait, but my plumbing sprung a leak in the attic and we were in a deluge of water ...  To busy and too stressed to paint.  now I will sit down and try to finish... 

Marsha

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Dec 2011 5:15 AM

Watercolor pencil and watercolor  on Stonehenge paper.  9x6. 

this has been a challenge indeed.  Maybe now I shall try the portrait

C & C very much welcome

Marsha

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 12 Dec 2011 6:45 AM

Marsha, I'm so sorry to hear about your plumbing leak.  It sounds horrible and messy. I'm so glad that it is now taken care of and you are finding time for artwork.

Your red poinsettia painting is really good.  I like the looseness of the color application.  You have good values ranging from the extremely dark background and the almost white on the petals.  The good values give it a 3D appearance which, of course, is what we are all striving for.  I really like the bright, bright red.  You wisely allowed the lower and upper petals to be more quiet and subdued which allows the larger, brighter petals to draw attention. 

I have a poinsettia painting that I did many years ago.  It's in a small frame and every Christmas it is placed on a table easel.  Since I only see it one month per year, I really enjoy.  Perhaps you'll find a spot for your two lovely Christmas paintings.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Dec 2011 6:06 PM

Thank you for the compliments,  that was a tough one for me.  I am now working on your beautiful Granddaughter.  I did a WC portrait of 4 of my grandkids when I started painting in 2007,  I was pleased with what I learned.  But I haven't painted since 2008 and this one is refreshing what I learned at that time.  Thank you all for having these challenges.  Such peace I find in painting.

Marsha

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Dec 2011 7:25 PM
Marsha: sorry to hear about your leak. Water always seems to find it's way into everything. I really like your poinsettias especially the way the light meanders through it. Lovely job. Good luck with the portrait.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 13 Dec 2011 7:12 AM

Marsha- Beautiful job on the poinsettias! The values are nice and great variety with the reds and greens.

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 13 Dec 2011 5:20 PM

Marsha - Beautiful Poinsettias in variety of red. I like how you change the values of colors within same petals and you made them real. Nice job. You paint like someone with knowledge and experience.

Sorry for the water problem, as if you don't have enough on your hands at a time like this. But it will be alright when you look back next year.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Dec 2011 3:36 AM

Thank you so much for the Good Cheer regarding the leak.  I did sit down all day today and play with Haidyn,  we had such fun.  she was all dressed up in her grandma's hat and pearls....   She is such a sweetheart.   I think I made her look older than she is and I don't know how that happened...

Water color Pencil on  8x5  Winsor & Newton Cotman

C & C Always Welcome

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 14 Dec 2011 9:52 AM

Marsha, you are certainly giving those wc pencils a workout.  I have to hand it to you for tackling a portrait so early in your art career.  What brand do you have and how many colors?  You are doing so well with them that I can't wait until next year to see what masterpieces you are turning out.

I like your portrait of Haidyn.  Yes, she does look older and I can't decide why.  Let's hope that one of the other artists can put their finger on it.  You made the bottom part of her nose a little more narrow and the entire nose a little longer .  In fact, her entire face is a little longer.

The straw hat looks wonderful and so does her hair.  You took the time to do all those beads and they look real good.  You captured the big, blue eyes very well.

Often, new portrait artists fail to line the eyes up but you did that very well.  The inner corner of each eye must be in a direct line with the other.  One critique that I have is that the eyes are on an angle going down from left to right.  But her mouth is at an angle going up from left to right.  The bottom of her nose isn't at an angle at all.  Some people do have crooked smiles!!!

You are an unbelievable new artist.  Keep at it.  I'm enjoying your work.  Wondering what will be next.

I've been working on Haidyn, too, and have her face done.  I didn't use pastels as planned.  When I opened that box that I haven't used in at least twenty-five years, I decided that I need to start with something easier than a portrait.  And this portrait is important to me so I decided to use colored pencil which takes much longer than pastels or wc.  It may be next week before I post it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 14 Dec 2011 3:46 PM

Marsha- I like your Kaidyn's portrait. This is a good painting from someone who said she is new to this arts. The hat and the pearl are really well done. Her hair and eyes are magnificent with good colors. I love the skin tone and lips colors. She looks so soft and vulnerably shy.

I agree with Sammy that her face is a little too long and that may have caused her to look older. You have her facial shape correct but the chin is a little too long. Also the nose seems to be long, the distance from to the eyes to tip of her nose is too great, shortening it a bit might help.

When I first finished my Kaidyn portrait, I thought she looked too old to. After I softened her eye lines, she looked a little younger. I still wanted her to look younger so I extended her cheeks out a little more until she now has pudgier cheeks than Kaidyn in the photo.  But I like her this way.

One way to keep the correct measurement of a face in the portrait is the Grid System where you compare the grids on the photo to the grids of your painting. It takes away the headaches from making too many corrections.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 14 Dec 2011 3:53 PM

Sammy- You asked me to repost Kaidyn' portrait again after my final touch. Here it is:

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Dec 2011 4:24 PM

Thank you Sammy,  I did see what you were talking about,  I reworked her mouth I didn't have it full enough,  and the eyes. I realized I was having a difficult time with her eyes due to her hair. I changed her nose a bit and added more of the shadows and hair.  As you know reworking a WC is difficult.  It buckled on me so I now have it laying between two books to see if it will flatten out.  Due to the paper curling I couldn't get a flat on picture.  If you want to see the rework just let me know if I should post it or not.  I looked at everyone of your comments and you are spot on.  I also should have waited a day and look at it again before sending it.  I so appreciate your critique.  I also must tell you I enjoyed the Santa so much I have decided to do a few more woody looking fellows...

Marsha

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Dec 2011 4:28 PM

Thank you for your comments Sandi,  Your little Haidyn is so bright and cheerful. 

Marsha

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Page 5 of 13 (194 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS