Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 5 Dec 2011 1:10 PM

Susan- I love the colors in your 3 Wise Men painting. Great Christmas card!

Jen- You rendered Haidyn just beautifully! She looks like such a sweety. And I think you did a nice job with the well, too. I really like the shingles.

Fred- It looks like Old Rusty stopped for a potty break and got snowed in. It's a beautiful watercolor. The pink and blue in  the sky and the subtle colors in the snow are outstanding!

My poinsettias had a heck of a time. I started with a line drawing, tried to put in some color with wc pencils and made a big mess when I added water, so I pulled out a set of cray-pas and continued with the fumbling. Oh well! Learning is fundamental!

No Reserve duty until the 6th of January, and my Hubs is healing well from his shoulder surgery so maybe I can get back to real life. 

Hope you all are happy in the season.

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Dec 2011 2:28 PM

Cindy, it's so good to hear from you.  You have been missed.   It's good to hear that your hubby is healing well.  I love your pink poinsettias.  You didn't plan to do a wc underpainting with oil pastels but it works well.  The nice, rich dark bg makes these beautiful flowers pop.  I like the details of the foliage and the coloring of the flowers.  Another nice Christmas painting for you.   

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 5 Dec 2011 2:54 PM

WOW, Cindy - I sure wish my "fumbling around" would look that good!  You have done a beautiful job on the pink poinsettias - regardless of your frustration with all the different media you used.  I think the line drawing underneath has given a particular interest to the blossoms.  Great value differential in the blossoms and the foliage, too.  Love it!

Did I miss something about hubby's surgery?  Must have.  Glad he is recovering and you can get back to your normal life routines.  And good that the Reserve duty is on hold until after the holidays.  Sounds like you will have a "stress" free holiday (other than the normal ones, that is). 

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 6 Dec 2011 8:17 AM

Thank you for your nice comments, Sammy and Holly! Hopefully I can start a new one today that I'll be happier with. Zumba this morning... Hope you have a great day!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 6 Dec 2011 4:48 PM

Sammy, this is a 4x6 wc postcard and I can send it to you, if you'll give me your address. So much fun to paint and she's beautiful!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 6 Dec 2011 6:11 PM

WOW, Cindy!  What a great job and in water color, too!  Such a sweet little face and you just captured it all so beautifully.  I am especially impressed with her mouth and teeth - teeth are so difficult because of the shadows and contour and you really got them right!  Sammy will be so thrilled and  pleased to have it!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 6 Dec 2011 9:05 PM

Thanks Holly. I was pleased with this. I haven't done very many portraits; and it was a challenge to work with the fleshtones and contours as well. It went a lot smoother than the poinsettias. I may try the red ones tomorrow. Your op holly card on the Christmas card challenge is beautiful!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,595
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Dec 2011 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the good words on my wonky wishing well! Cindy great job on the poitseta I like how it turned out in the end. Your WC of Haidyn is really lovely. Portraits in WC are really difficult so well done. You have captured her perfectly. Fred I love the rusty old truck in the snow with outhouse to match! You have rendered the snow and rust really well.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 6 Dec 2011 11:03 PM

Cindy, how SWEET you are to create such an adorable portrait of Haidyn and then offer to send it to me.  I am thrilled!  I'll send my address via private conversation.

You have captured her likeness very well.  Good skin tones, hair, eyes and hat.  You got all the little curves around her mouth and, as Holly said, the teeth are well done.  Keep on with painting portraits.  You're good at it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Dec 2011 6:13 PM

Fred- I love both versions of the broken down old car. They are both beautiful. Imagine I am saying that the "broken down old car" is beautiful but you really did it well. The sky is spectacular as usual. You also are good in portraying all the colors in the snow. Super painting.

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy- I just love your poinsetta purplish/pinkish colors. And then you presented us with a beautiful portrait of a joyful girl child and it's in watercolor too. WOW, is there anything you can't do well? I am so jealous! Keep on painting please, you are really good at it.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Dec 2011 1:24 PM

Well, here's the latest. Not the greatest. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Dec 2011 2:29 PM

Added some wc pencils, so maybe it's a little better now.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Dec 2011 3:57 PM

Hello artists,  I have been looking at this post now for two weeks and have enjoyed looking at everyone's beautiful entries into this challenge.  I just got a set of watercolor pencils and decided to try my hand at it.  I haven't been painting in years and was fairly new at it then.  But Santa called and how could I resist,  here is my contribution as well as my first post in this Artist network.  I can't get it right side up for some reason....????

Marsha K

C&C welcome  especially how to turn the picture right side up......

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Dec 2011 4:11 PM

Marsha- It's a beautiful rendering of Father Christmas! I especially love the holly wreath around his cap. And I can turn my laptop sideways to get an even better viewSmile. Welcome and thank you for joining us!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Dec 2011 4:18 PM

Marsha,  welcome to out little group.  We are delighted to have you join us. 

I hope you don't mind that I adjusted your image to the upright position.  For a new artist who hasn't painted in years, you're pretty darn good.  This painting of Santa is super.  His face looks like porcelain with great colors.  I love the wc runs at the bottom right and the fact that his beard doesn't end but the white just continues off the paper.  You did a good job with the holly and pine branches.  Beautiful textured bright blue background.

Hang on to that set of wc pencils because you use them well.

Page 3 of 13 (194 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS