Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 27 Nov 2011 8:20 AM

Susan, good for you.  I like the changes that you made to it.  Changing the manger scene from orange created more harmony and the rays from the star shows up more.  Good work and nice painting. 

Jen, you captured Haidyn's sweet smile and pudgy cheeks.  I want to reach in there and pinch those cheeks.  I like that you put the stray hairs across her face.   It's a darling drawing.  I think that I'll give it a try with pastels. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Nov 2011 12:40 PM
Sammy : thanks for the kind words. She has such an innocent joyful expression and I tried to capture that. I thought about trying it in pastels too. I am just into faces at the moment.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 27 Nov 2011 2:23 PM

WOW Jen, this is more than just a great job! It's so perfect, great drawing!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 29 Nov 2011 7:20 AM

Susan - Your Holy Night painting is just wonderful!  I agree with all of the comments Sammy, Sandi and Jen made.  I don't think you actually broke the rules, you just bent them a little - and sometimes 'going with the flow ' makes things just right - and this one certainly is just right!  I'm so glad you decided to show it in the MOVE OVER HALLMARK, CHRISTMAS CARD CONTEST!  It is even more special for me because is brings up wonderful childhood memories of the Christmas "murals" that my father always did on the mirror hanging above our fireplace.  The themes of his "mirror paintings" were always something to do with the Holy Night and were silhouetted (like yours) and usually in dark blue (like yours) - I remember one of the Madona and Child, one of the 3 kings at the manger, and one of lambs and a donkey at the manger - - there were others, too, but I can't recall them right now.  Such wonderful memories you have evoked for me - thank you! 

Thank you, Sandi - and I blush at your praise!  Hosting these challenges has been fun for me, but I've had to neglect you all way too much over the last several months!  Hopefully, when I retire (it's getting closer now!) I will be able to give more time and effort to the challenges and comment more, too! 

AND THANK YOU to everyone who has volunteered to host for a month (or several) in the coming year!  I will post an updated calendar in first part January,  just in case anyone else wants to jump in and volunteer for a month.

Jen - WOW - what a great drawing of Haidyn!  I don't think the eyes are too old at all.  As a matter of fact, the only places I see that may need a little more contouring are in the contour of her left (on our right) cheek and a little correction to the contour of her upper lip.  This is great work!  I have really enjoyed watching your portrait progress - so much so, that I may even tackle this one of Haidyn - oops - did I say that out loud?!?  I originally thought I would try the truck and the wishing well, but I think I'll start on Haidyn and then see if I have time to work on the others.  (AND -  I'm still working on the Pumpkin Still Life and the Dalhia from Challenge #13 - guess I'll eventually finish them - and will post when I do.)

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Dec 2011 12:41 AM

Holly and Susan: Thanks for the good words on my Haidyn drawing. I am improving but still got a way to go!

Holly: Thanks for all the hosting this year. I will be in Chicago until the 4th January so my hosting may be a bit delayed for the month!

Here is what I did tonight. I am not pleased with it. I did it on some plain pastel paper and I don't like it after the sanded stuff. Mainly pastel pencils with some nupastels but it does not blend as well and the greens were not good. The well is a bit off too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 2 Dec 2011 7:26 AM

Jen, you are much to hard on yourself, the picture is nice and the colours are blended well together.  Easy to look at the only thing I would do is make the sky a little lighter. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Dec 2011 3:48 PM

Jen - I like both your portrait and the Wishing Well. The drawing does have the likeness of Heidin photo and her hair and eyes are very well done. It portrayed the eagerness and innocence of a beautiful girl child. The only nit I have is her hat might need more details to accentuate her face more.

The Wishing Well has nice color combination and is painted creatively. It has loose strokes that I like a lot.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Dec 2011 7:35 PM

Jen, your wishing well has an impressionistic quality.  I like the variety of colors on the roof, bricks and grasses.  You were very loose and free with your strokes which gives it the appearance of an overgrown, grassy area.  I like that.  The mountain is staying back there where it belongs.  You have created a nice paintings.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 2 Dec 2011 10:35 PM

This is very lovely and calming, its very peaceful.  Very nice work!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 3 Dec 2011 3:53 PM

Hi all ,This is my entry to this challenge,also thanks Jen and Sam for your comments on the leprechauns it gave it a great storyline The Witch converts the gold dust to coins as it arrives at the pot of gold

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Dec 2011 7:06 PM

Fred, fantastic painting of the old, cold, rusty truck.  You did a great job and he does look rusty.  The outhouse and the distant shack are in the same sad shape so he's in good company.  You have a way with old wood and with skies.  I love this paintings.  Thanks for sharing.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 3 Dec 2011 11:58 PM

WOW, this is so very good, very impressive.  Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 4 Dec 2011 1:25 PM

Hi Sam and Susan Thanks for for the comments ,I done a little more on the snow and have a better photo

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Dec 2011 1:50 PM

Yes, Fred, your work on the snow has added depth and interest.  I like it even more.  I hope you plan to frame and hang this one.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 5 Dec 2011 7:00 AM

Jen - You did a fantastic job on the wishing well - good detail, good shadows, good distance perspective, love the misty-foggy sky in the distant mountain - what's not to like!?  I know what you mean about the non-sanded paper - once you get used to it, you are hooked!

Also, Jen - don't worry about being a day or so late posting the January challenge - I'm sure we will all be recovering from family, parties, food and traveling, etc.  -  I'll send you the format/template later on today so you can start playing with it.

Fred - Your old lonley, forlorn and cold truck is fantastic - you managed to give us another one of your glorious skies, too!  I like the additional work you did on the snow - it's difficult to get all the color nuances that show up in snow and you did a great job with it.  (I can almost picture a bear in that truck - Wink - !)

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Page 2 of 13 (194 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS