Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 2:58 AM

WOW! that is one magnificent massive ship.  you must have been feeling great.  This is a beautiful painting.  the colors are brilliant and I can feel the dock moving under the power of this.  I can hear the dock noises all around me as I look at this one.  I can feel the coolness and dampness.  I can smell the it as well.  Great Job...  great job Tal2

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 6:29 AM

'wetpaperfan' - thanks so much for your positive comments - it is very helpful to get feedback on paintings. Much appreciated. This is the first time I have posted on Artist Daily, although I have downloaded a number of free articles which have been great reading. Thanks Artist Daily also.  

Tal2

C and C most welcome!

Judith

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 30 Dec 2011 9:08 AM

Judith, welcome to our group.  It is good to see your work and we would love to see more.  Not only is this a huge ship but it quite a large painting.  92cm x 122cm would be approximately 30" x 48."  I'm glad that you accomplished your goal and managed to finish it in 2011.

You did capture the huge silhouette of the ship quite nicely.  The sky is handled very uniquely and beautifully with great colors.  I like how the light of the sky forms a triangle that leads to and surrounds the huge ship. The dark ship against the light sky causes it to stand out dramatically.  I like how you kept the lower left corner dark so that the viewer's eye is kept to the right, at the focal point, the ship and then the cement works.  The water is well done, also.  This is an impressive work of art and deserves a beautiful frame so that it can be displayed and enjoyed.

Please visit us again.  This thread is for you to post any paintings using the posted reference photos.  The Chatter thread is for you to post any paintings of any subjects in any medium.  You will get the same type of comments on your work there.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 30 Dec 2011 3:58 PM

Judith, I just checked out your Web site and am quite impressed with your art.  I particularly like the horse portrait titled "In Form."  Beautiful.  Also, I enjoyed viewing your Van Gogh style self portrait with Friend ll.  You have many different, interesting styles.  It's a pleasure to view your work.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 5:25 PM

Hi Sammy I really like your portrait of Haidyn.  I think the blue background is perfect and it is a complementary colour to the yellow/orange tones of Haidyns hair, that's why it works so well. The overall pinky softness of the portrait is lovely, and the hair is beautifully done - you are very skilled in your medium!

Judith

C and C most welcome!

Judith

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 5:31 PM

Hi Marsha,

You did really well with this painting, making it into a little story also. The overall softeness of the snow, the cheecky squirrel and the old car with the wreath looks very lovely. You developed nice tonal values in your work and the composition is great, leading the the eye from left to right across the page from the squirrell, to his tracks in the snow, to the berries, wreath and vehicle. Well done.

Judith

C and C most welcome!

Judith

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 5:44 PM

Sammy, thanks for your comments about my big ship painting. You may be interested to know that the big ship is called 'Kittewake' and using a website called Vessel Tracker I have been able to see where it has journeyed to across the world since Jan 2011 - recently it was in the Gulf of Mexico! I love big ships and plan to do more such paintings in 2012.

Happy New Year to you and everyone in this Forum!

Judith

C and C most welcome!

Judith

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 30 Dec 2011 5:50 PM

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for having a look at my blog. It is nice to share art around the world. Having a blog only cost me $10 per year so it is very reasonable.  I plan to do a painting from one of your reference photo's one day when I get a chance. I have sent you a comment about your work too.

Judith 

C and C most welcome!

Judith

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,814
Points 46,840
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2012 9:48 PM
Judith: beautiful painting of the boat and big too. I love the sharp contrast of light and shade. Very dramatic.I commented when you first posted and said a lot then the thing wouldn't post! I am so glad you joined us and hope you will join in some of our challenges and also share your other paintings on the chatter thread. I am out of town with my kids freezing in Chicago but will be home soon and ready to start the new. 2012 challenge. I will give a tour of England so might've fun.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 2 Jan 2012 12:07 PM

Look at you all! I turn my back for 2 minutes and the whole place comes to life like nobody's business! I had to go back 5 pages to see what happened. Happy New Year, All! I've got Holly's "2 windows open" plan going,  so I hope I don't miss anyone.

Marsha- The reindeer kissing Santa is adorable! I love the little one's posture and the colors are nice. The squirrel and Old Rusty look like they were meant to share the snow together. He must have been hiding berries somewhere in the cab. I'll bet there's a nice nest inside where he can keep warm, and he's even spruced the place up for the holidays.

Sandi- The squirrel has a beautiful vista as he dines in the cherry blossoms. That one makes me want to visit Japan.

Jen- I'd love to see how you finished Old Rusty. You were off to a great start. Every time I work with oil I feel like I am clueless. Glad you're posting again and I'm looking forward to the tour of England!

Joyce- Those 2-year olds will sure keep you busy! Your daughter is blessed to have you helping. Your poinsettia is very pretty. I like the contrast and your use of positive and negative space. 

Sammy- Haidyn is sparkling like a new penny! Beautiful portrait!

Judith- Welcome to the group! Your ship is massive and a beautiful rendering. We have a coastline is common, I guess. I live in Charleston, SC, and we see lots of big ships here, too. There's a museum aircraft carrier in the harbor that I may try and paint one day. Was that 42 degrees F? Today our high is in mid 50's F.  Yesterday it was in the 70's. And yes! Sammy is an expert at any medium and a wonderful mentor!

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Jan 2012 7:36 PM

Judith- Big welcome to our group. I do enjoy your huge ship floating grandly at the port. You pick a good angle to show its massive bow and body. Very grand! I also like the colorful background portraying the heaviness of the atmosphere. Moist air and heavy work. Good job. I checked out your blog, you have many artworks in various styles. You are very talented. Hope you continue to show your work with us.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 400
Tal2 wrote
on 3 Jan 2012 9:45 PM

Sandi - I really appreciate your kind comments and feedback about 'the ship' and my blog, thank you greatly.   I often work in different mediums/styles, but  would love one day to develop a 'signature style'.  This will either happen over time I guess or I will keep on like I have been, enjoying responding immediately to events/experiences using the mediums and techniqhe that seem to suit best.

I love looking at and appreciating art from all over the world and it is great to have connected up with such a friendly and welcoming group of artists in this forum - I really look forward to being involved in sharing art comments/feedback in 2012!  Judith

C and C most welcome!

Judith

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 365
on 3 Jan 2012 10:37 PM

i think you done great.  children just won't sit still.  ifyou know whats wrong with it now  you're a step closer to fixing it if you want. i think she might not be looking down as far as picture.  still good.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 4 Jan 2012 2:46 AM

Hello everyone,  just sittin' here chillin' out....  awaitin' for what is a comin' at us... 

I've been just sketching some pictures.  keepin the ole pencil to the paper.  I'm waiting for my Daughter and grandaughter to arrive on Friday am,  I havn't seen them in two years.  all excited here. 

I got my colored pencils ordered.   they should be here this coming week.  I'm all excited to try them out.  Prismacolors..  

Thank you Cindy for the very nice compliments,  I think we have a story brewing here.   I can picture the squirrel in the cab of ole rusty with all his stored up nuts and berries.  some straw and old rags for a bed.  He will need to meet a mate...  hmmmm....  stay tuned. 

marsha

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Jan 2012 9:13 AM

Marsha, enjoy your daughter and granddaughter. I'm excited that they are coming.  Also, enjoy your colored pencils.  You will find a lot of information on how to use them at www.wetcanvas.com.  Find the colored pencil forum and then look for the classrooms or library.  Glad to hear that you are sketching.  Looking forward to seeing the truck and squirrels painting you have in your mind. 

Page 11 of 13 (194 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next > | RSS