Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 22 Nov 2011 3:20 AM

Welcome to  ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE #14

Challenge:   Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure.   In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:   - November 23, 2011 - December 31, 2011

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note:  When you post your painting, be sure to "sign" your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post.  We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what.  An alternative would be to create a "signature line" that will automatically appear on each one of your posts.  (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let me know and I will send instructions to you.)

Happy Painting!

Challenges:

1. Monthly Theme:  This Challenge ends with New Year's Eve when we reminisce about the passing year.  The theme is 2011.  It can be anything that you remember from the year 2011 - an event, holiday, social activity, new baby, family photo, a bouquet you received, flowers or vegetables from your garden, etc.

Also, any Christmas artwork is welcome. 

2. Red Poinsettias - Public Domain Photo

3. Pink Poinsettias - Public Domain Photo

4. Decorative Santa - Public Domain Photo

5. Ice Cold Lunch - Public Domain Photo

6. Old, Rusty, Abandoned and Oh, So Lonely - Public Domain Photo

7. Toss in a Coin and Make a Wish for the  Coming New Year - Public Domain Photo

8. Haidyn Eagerly Waits for Santa - photo by Sam Hoppe of her great granddaughter, Haidyn.  She is wearing her great grandmother's hat, scarf and beads.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 185
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 22 Nov 2011 8:30 AM

Thank you Sammy, I love all of these pic's, mostly the poinsetta's. I'm sorry that I haven't been active in replies to each and every artist who has been submitting their paintings, each one is so unique and beautifully done. The little girl above looks as if she might be your daughter or g'daughter? I see you in her very much. I am ainting a Christmas painting now, if I don't ruin it, I will post it. Thank you. susan

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Nov 2011 10:11 AM
Thanks Sammy these are great. Love that one of your great granddaughter ! I might actually get to do one or two now.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 22 Nov 2011 1:42 PM

WOW, Sammy, what great reference photos!  I just love that photo of Haidyn with her G.Gramma's hat and accessories!  Those eyes and that sweet smile are just captivating!  The two snow scenes (the old, lonely truck and the little squirrel with his treasure snack) will certainly be great white challenges.  Love the poinsettias and the Santa decoration, too.  The wishing well scene reminds me of my MIL's summer house in Highlands. NC.  There's no wishing well at her house but there is a hemlock hedge with the gorgeous mountains behind.

Thanks so much for volunteering for this "go-round".  Now I just hope I can find time to try at least a couple of them!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 22 Nov 2011 2:14 PM

Holly, you're right, the squirrel and truck are challenges using white but, believe it or not, I picture the truck in a grassy field with a few wildflowers and the squirrel on a branch, snow covered or not.  Also, I picture the squirrel in the forest.  Any of the above are challenges.  I like painting with white since there are so many colors present.  I just hope that you guys have fun with at least one of these.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 22 Nov 2011 9:22 PM

Nice pictures for the challenge, I'm hoping to do one of the poinsetta's.  I'm sorry I haven't been to active in the last few challenges but will try to pull up my socks and start something. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 23 Nov 2011 1:10 PM

Sammy, I broke all the rules, for some reason, no sweet spots and centered stuff going on. I had seen a scene from California Hotel and some other cards, visualized putting ideas together. This is it, Christmas theme, will probably had Christmas lights to all the blds, primary colors.Happy Thanksgiving to all my Artist friends and their families.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 23 Nov 2011 4:50 PM

Sammy- Thanks so much for 8 interesting Challenges. Also thanks for offering to be the lead in a caravan of hosting. Have to thank Holly for pushing and pulling us on the artistic tract for the whole year of 2010. If not for her patience and a knack for finding out the right channel and saying and doing the right thing, we wouldn't be here today. SO THREE CHEERS FOR HOLLY !!!

Have to agree with Susanrae that the cute girl in adult size hat with adult accessories has the resemblance of Sammy. She will grow up to be a very beautiful lady soon. I might try painting her but there are more very enticing selections too. So many choices, so little time. 

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 23 Nov 2011 4:58 PM

Susan- You are one quick draw. I look at this scene and started singing "Joy to the World". The buildings are all aglow with happy lights on the stars sprinkling night. There! I could write my own song except I don't know how.Stick out tongue

Anyhow, good wc painting with a feel of abstract. Love the limited palette.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 23 Nov 2011 7:14 PM

Susan, the way you played the cool, cool blue against the warm, warm pink is very attractive.  I love the palm tree on the left.  Yes, the little manger scene is close to center and very hot but I don't see that as the focal point. (Of course, that is the focal point of Christmas and the reason for the painting).   Remember that we identify the focal point with strong contrast.  My eye immediately goes to the bright blue building in front of the pink buildings.  That is the greatest contrast along with the king and camel closest to us.  IMHO, those are two focal points and both are pretty close to a sweet spot.

The rays from the star don't pop out because they are close in color to the warm buildings.  The manger does invite the viewer to example it closely after the eye is drawn around the circle around it created by the pink buildings and camels with kings.

I'm being completely honest when I say that this is an interesting and charming painting.   You should enter it in the Christmas card competition.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 25 Nov 2011 3:58 PM

Thank you Sammy, Thank you, you enocurage me alot. Thank you and maybe I will submit into the contest. Sandi, I also Thank you, you are all encouragers. ;o)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Nov 2011 4:24 PM
Susan: nice nocturn. I agree with all Sammy and Sandi have said. The colours are perfect for the subject matter and give a sense of peace.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 26 Nov 2011 11:13 AM

Samy, I DID it, I DID it! Totally nervous, but I did enter in the Crhistmas Card Contest, only from your encouragment. I do listen to all of your comments. It posted twice, don't know why. I did add more lights and details to the posting. Wow.........I did it!  Have a great day. Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Nov 2011 1:42 AM

Susan: you go girl!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Nov 2011 1:45 AM

Well I tried a sketch of Sammy's beautiful Granddaughter tonight. I didn't get her tilt right or her eyes still a bit too old, lots of mistakes but anyway this is what I did.

In my sketchbook 6 x6 2b pencil

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 13 (194 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS