FIRST ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE : CHALLENGE # 13 - A & B - October 19, 2011 – November 22, 2011

This post has 89 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Nov 2011 8:26 AM

Susan: Never mind- I have solved the problem. An agent from the GeekSquad told me that it's the communication problem between the site and Firefox browser. So now I am using Internet Explorer and can see you fine.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Nov 2011 8:35 AM

Susan- This is so beautiful !!  The flowers are vibrant setting off the green door nicely.  Yes, it's a very hard challenge as I found that out too. I love all your abstract shapes. My all -line art teacher told us to paint everything especially trees in abstract shapes because they are more pleasant to the eyes. This work is a testimony of his statement! You have mastered watercolor very well as usual. Great job!

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,721
Points 44,850
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Nov 2011 9:38 PM

Hi All. Well I did this tonight with my new Inktence watercolour pencils. It was fun if not a brilliant redition. Good to get back painting. I am still out of sinc with the time change and the grey overcast day of rain made it so dark all day.

Anyway here is Santa on Hot press paper and Inktence pencils.

Before I added water

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 6:14 AM

Jen- So good to have you back, we really missed you. This has been a really long absence for you. Love your Santa, he seems to be looking kindly at someone on his knees and he even has some colors on his beard that makes him more interesting!

Welcome back to the arts world.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Nov 2011 10:38 AM

Jen, Santa is a popular guy at this time of year and you've done a good job with him.  It was interesting that you showed the piece before and after the addition of water.  The water really brought out the colors.  I like his rosy checks and his colorful beard.  Nice work.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Nov 2011 10:42 AM

You have probably heard me say in the past that I think flowers, birds and butterflies are the gems of creation.  They are things that I am very thankful for.  So I'm posting this batik painting of an orchid.  It is a 5"X7" watercolor on rice paper with a wax resist. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,721
Points 44,850
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 1:44 PM
Lovely painting of the orchid Sammy. I love the effects you get with the rice paper. I will have to try that sometime.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 5:47 PM

Jen- Welcome back! We've missed you. Your Santa has lovely rosey cheeks and looks like he's insulated for the winter, as he should be. I especially like his glasses.

Sammy- It's a beautiful orchid! They are my favorite, although I could never get this type to grow in Charleston. I love the colors and details in your batik painting. 

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 6:20 PM

Sammy- You are very studious in delving into all kinds of media, and getting successful results. This is my favorite of all your batik work. The orchid is lovely with variegation of colors. Background is superb with soft, muted effect. I can't take my eyes of it and I am having a feeling of full satisfaction. Just love it!

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 6:26 PM

Hi All- This is my Fall theme again. I painted this as a homework for Johannes- my on line teacher but it fits in nicely with this month Challenge. hope you like.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Nov 2011 7:19 PM

Thank you Jen, Sandi and Cindy for your kind words regarding the orchid batik.  I throw away more than I keep but am slowly getting there.

Sandi, when I look at your fall landscape I want to sing "purple mountains majesty."  Very interesting reflections in the water and tree on the right.  In fact, that tree is down right creative with a great variety of colors.  I like the rocky shore on the left and the sandy beach with pebbles on the right.   This is a very nice, tranquil paintings. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,721
Points 44,850
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 8:45 PM
Great landscape Sandi. The purple mountains make a great backdrop to the river and trees. Love the reflections and Fall colours.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 8:50 PM

Sandi- what a beautiful landscape! Beautiful colors and reflections! It's just gallery perfect! 

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 10 Nov 2011 6:16 PM

Thanks, Sammy, Jen and Cindy for being my cheering squad. Your good words are very much appreciated. I am practicing a new kind of painting where we are painting shapes and not painting what it is. So we don't do each leave any more and trees are clumped into tree mass. I will learn how to paint water in December so my water in this painting maybe changed the next time you see it.

This is totally opposite of my miniature techniques which require realistic details to represent images as we see it. It feels like I am using the right hand for one thing and I am turning around to use my left hand to do another thing. Life is full of challenges indeed.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 11 Nov 2011 10:05 AM

Mornin' All -

Lots of catching up to do here, too!

Sammy - Your Santa is so tired -  he's a definite December 26 Santa - I think I can even hear him snoring!   Did you tweak his glasses and the shdows under the fur of the hat?  I'd love to see the final, if you did.  And, O-O-O-H, that beautiful batik orchid!  I am thankful for the "gems of creation" in flowers, birds and butterflies, too.  Thanks for sharing this one. 

Sandi - Your winking, "eggnog enriched" Santa is so cute!  His chubby cheeks and little sly smile are just perfect.  I was interested that you used the Interactive Acrylics on the ambersand clay board - did you find that it worked easily enough - I have not tried it on the clay board, because I sort of felt like it may be too absorbant for the Interactive Acrylics.  I'm guessing that if you used the Binder Medium first, though, that would not be an issue. 

Jen - Welcome back to state-side of the pond.  Hope you are recovering from all your traveling issues by now.  You have definitely been missed!  Thanks for posting your Inktense Santa both before and after the addition of water.  He looks sleepy and tired but has such a satisfied look on his face - like an "a job well done" look - Love it!  I have both the Inktense pencils and the blocks - but have had trouble manipulating them.  You have inspired me to have "another go" at it! 

Kay - I agree with everyone - your pumpkin still life makes me smile!. Just love that colorful background and the brilliant colors in the fruits and veggies!  So glad to see you posting with us again - don't be such a stranger - we miss you.

Cindy - WOW - great pumpkin still life, too!  That corn is just wonderful - no individual kernels painted but I see each one!  WOW - pastels!  I thought it was another of your brilliant water color paintings until I saw Sandi's comment and went back to re-read your orginal post.  I somehow missed that when I read it.  That makes it even more impressive to me!

Susan - I always am eager to see your abstract renderings of our challenges.  The orange flowery house is just a delight.  The yellows and greens and just a tiny touch of blue really set it off.  This one was much more difficult than I imagined it to be and you just took off soaring with it.   I just love what you have accomplished with it! 

Sandi - I agree with Sammy about singing "purple mountains magesty"  - - except NO ONE would want to hear ME sing!  Zip it!  I have missed participating in this session of Johannes's classes (much to my regret!) but hope to be able to participate again with the water sessions.  (Since I work on Saturday nights, it's like getting up in the middle of the night after only several hours sleep, then going back to bed for a couple of hours for me - really difficult to do.)  This is a beautiful piece - the reflections, light and shadows, and great fall colors.  What's not to like, here?!

I have a little more work to do on my orange flowery house.  If I get it finished in time to photograph it before I have to go to bed, I will post it today - otherwise, it will probably have to wait until Sunday. 

Hope I didn't miss anyone. 

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Page 4 of 6 (90 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS