The Art of Dawood (Marion) Sekhem

This post has 87 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 7:20 PM

Although art and drawing can be a solitary act, it seems as if you are out in the world interacting energetically.  I see photos of you drawing at demonstrations, on a pad on a wall, drawing people from life, on a bus..... It seems as if there is no formal studio; the world is your studio. It's almost a type of performance art. Performers have an audience and you seem to be a natural "actor." An audience can be found in many places-- on the internet (there are just so many places) at a formal or informal gathering of people, on the streets, at an event.... So that is why I say to keep searching for your audience. I appreciate the way you capture life.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 26 Dec 2011 12:29 AM

A very quick warm-up sketch

Self-Portrait (close-up)
Acrylic on Paper
24 x 18

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Jan 2012 2:23 AM

These are posters for my next drawing film. It's a film documenting the interaction between a 38 year existing teacher (me) and a 96 year existing student (my good friend Ruth Smith).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Jan 2012 3:12 PM

Inspired by the Eames furniture designs I splashed a warm-up this morning from imagination (no model).

Ballpoint Pen on Paper with Acrylic

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 10 Jan 2012 8:46 PM

I've never met Ruth, but I like her already. 96! I hope I live that long.

I was wondering what type of easel you have. Is it an H frame? Is it a pretty sturdy wood? I've started to look for a studio easel and I figured I'd ask since you're showing one.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Jan 2012 11:00 PM

Lots of work inspired by the Eames chair designs... I guess its coming from designing the interior of my new studio space. I am going to get one of those Eames lounge chairs as soon as I see one that is the right price.

Eames Cold Chillin'

17x14

Ballpoint pen and acrylic on paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Jan 2012 11:23 PM

Hey KatPaints, Yes Ruth is indeed the sweetest. I use a crappy clearance Blick Brand easel. The top part that holds the canvas down has a stripped screw rendering it useless and I had to tie a string around the bottom because it was separating... I also had to add wheels myself for better mobility. Overall it gets the job done for light weight work like paper and small/light canvases but not for larger ones. I have to get another soon because I plan to do lots of painting this year. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 872
Points 13,670
philo.yan wrote
on 7 Feb 2012 12:33 AM

Hi Dawood, I really like your drawings.  May I know if your shading is done with ballpoint pen?  If so, what is the best way to do it?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Sincerely

Philo Yan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 7 Feb 2012 1:50 AM

philo.yan:

Hi Dawood, I really like your drawings.  May I know if your shading is done with ballpoint pen?  If so, what is the best way to do it?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Sincerely

Philo Yan

Hey Philo Yan,

I create the shading with the ballpoint pen. Thanks for your interest in my work - by the way check out my latest video full of drawing tips. If you like what you hear and see subscribe to my channel to be notified of future releases.

http://youtu.be/FhxcHFwDqa8

In my next video I will begin to reveal the methods I practiced to become confident in drawing. 

Take CareBig Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 24 Feb 2012 2:56 PM

I did this as a demo during my Drawing Toolbox Class in San Francisco today.

My Bike
Ballpoint Pen
8x11

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 600
Afton Kern wrote
on 2 Mar 2012 11:54 PM

Very nice linework! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 3 Mar 2012 8:33 AM

Afton Kern:

Very nice linework! :)

Thanks!!!Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
BettiePages wrote
on 13 Mar 2012 8:57 AM

Oh my god, i just LOVE your style!!! Did you ever considered selling? If you do, i'd have just the website for you, it's where i sell my paintings..

http://www.diffuseart.com the free gallery!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Apr 2012 12:47 AM

This is a drawing I did from pure imagination. 

When I drew this I was thinking of people who are beautiful yet the spiritually blind may see them as ugly. She was a girl who everybody teased and said she was ugly all of her life, but her self-esteem stayed intact.

Sexy Lady

11x14
Pencil on Archival paper
Dawood Sekhem 2012

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Apr 2012 12:53 AM

BettiePages:

Oh my god, i just LOVE your style!!! Did you ever considered selling? If you do, i'd have just the website for you, it's where i sell my paintings..

Hey Thanks BettiePages!!!

I spend many years developing my skills and totally ignored the selling aspect. However I want to get into selling as it would help support my creative additions. Let me know about your site. Thanks Again!!

Page 4 of 6 (88 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS