The Art of Dawood (Marion) Sekhem

This post has 87 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 11 Oct 2011 9:32 PM

This beautiful human caught my eye during my commute from teaching about 10 minutes before she got off the bus. I saw the age, wisdom and expression on her face and had to capture it with a rather fast shutter speed (quick drawing). I wanted to add more shadows to her face but there just wasn't enough time to get "honest" ones... other wise I would have been making them up from imagination which would have taken away for the truth of the moment. She glanced at me a couple times while I drew her but I wasn't sure that she was on to me - Ha Ha. 

I was listening to a new, relaxing, meditation music selection in my new noise canceling headphones which helped achieve getting into the zone quite immediately. Between the music and a calming breathing pattern I was able to leave this world for ten minutes and create a human on my paper. I really like the lines in this drawing. I actually surprised myself when I applied the first set of wrinkles at the jawline to the left of the chin. It was a treat to watch this drawing unfold. My favorite part was creating the illusion of the eyes being recessed between the heavy brow muscles and pudgy cheeks.

Beautiful Elder Human Female
11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen on Archival Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 18 Oct 2011 1:54 PM

I boarded the bus and grabbed a seat directly across from this man. It was extremely hot and I sat on the side of the bus where the sun was beaming through the glass. I really wasn't in the mood to draw but a couple minutes into the ride i realized I didn't have any drawings of tatted people, so I pulled my sketchbook and trusty pen (trying to be discreet because I didn't want him to see that I was about to start drawing - then he'd stare at me) and started to draw. It was hard to get into the zone because I was sweating like a Tour de' France rider, the sun was beating down on me and where I was sitting was really cramped so I didn't feel like getting my headphones out of my bag (I was drawing with no music - Unawesome!!!).

I started at the left eye and by the time i arrived at the shoulders, he looked at me and said, "You drawing?" "Yea" I responded. I asked him,"do you draw?" He said,"Yea I do tats." [Me] "Have you done any of your own?' [Him] "Yea." Then he leaned forward, rolled up his left pant leg revealing his fully inked leg. [Me] "Where do you do tats at?" [Him] "The Pen." I began to explain that I was drawing him (showed him the drawing at this time) and how I draw people everyday during my commute. The conversation was great, we exchanged info and I got off at my stop.

This was a special drawing session because normal don't show people what I'm working on (especially while I'm working). I also don't hold conversations while working (at lease I do my best to steer clear of them because it distracts me. At the end of the day I made a new friend :)

Man with tats
11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen on Archival Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 22 Oct 2011 12:35 PM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 5 Nov 2011 3:50 PM

This is a poster for my next video coming friday:

This is a poster for the last video I filmed where I create a self portrait drawing

Here is a link to the video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/-g51oInpaxM

Here is a video where I paint a sketch of the Fox Theater in Oakland, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5N27sGxsFA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 23 Nov 2011 1:01 PM

A demo I did of a good friend Paula Mangin during my Drawing Tool Box Workshop yesterday in San Francisco. 

Paula Mangin
11x14
Ballpoint Pen and Acrylic on Archival Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 1,895
on 23 Nov 2011 1:48 PM

excellent!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
artpancho wrote
on 23 Nov 2011 9:39 PM

Very nice caricature drawing.  Very expressive!

Janet

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
artpancho wrote
on 23 Nov 2011 9:40 PM

Very nice caricature drawing.  Very expressive!

Janet

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Dec 2011 4:09 PM

Thanks Janet!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Dec 2011 4:10 PM

Thanks Elizabeth!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 10 Dec 2011 6:55 PM

Two women on transit bus
14 x 17 
Ball Point Pen and Acrylic on Archival Paper

Dawood Marion 2011

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
dmslowpoke wrote
on 18 Dec 2011 7:30 AM

Dawood, That is awesome!!! Great job! I also like the story of the dude with the tatoos. You never know where a new friend will pop-up!

Dan...-.-

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 18 Dec 2011 7:34 AM

dmslowpoke:

Dawood, That is awesome!!! Great job! I also like the story of the dude with the tatoos. You never know where a new friend will pop-up!

Dan...-.-

Thanks Dan!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 18 Dec 2011 9:43 AM

I love the energy of this entire thread! Keep searching for your audience Dawood! You're going places!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 18 Dec 2011 9:52 AM

KatPaints:

I love the energy of this entire thread! Keep searching for your audience Dawood! You're going places!

Thanks KatPaints!! I am curious by what you mean by "Keep searching for your audience." Could you expound? Thanks Smile

Page 3 of 6 (88 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS