The Art of Dawood (Marion) Sekhem

This post has 87 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,224
Points 51,350
Margo5 wrote
on 1 Oct 2011 6:48 PM

Elizabeth is right. It looks good on their magazine. Now all they have to do is realize that and put it on there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 1 Oct 2011 7:11 PM

Thanks Elizabeth!! Yes it really helps in willing it to existence.Geeked

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 1 Oct 2011 7:12 PM

I agree Margo5... Thanks for your good vibesWink

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 6 Oct 2011 9:04 PM

I did this drawing during my commute returning from teaching today on the transit bus. This was a very difficult drawing to complete because she kept looking up at me every few minutes as she was busy on her smart phone. Not sure if she liked what she saw or just checking to see if I was looking at her. I had to really connect with her energy to be able to know when she was going to look at me. Don't know if she knew what I was doing. We did eventually make eye contact once or twice, after the second time she changed her position drastically so I started another drawing of someone else to give her a break so when she would look up I wouldn't be looking at her. After about 6-8mins she turned back in position and I turned the page back to complete the drawing of her. 

She had a beautiful spirit as she smile apparently because of what someone was texting her. Her smile would linger on her face as she would stop reading texts momentarily to glance out the window of the transit bus. 

Beautiful girl on transit
11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen on Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 1,895
on 7 Oct 2011 5:54 AM

Sounds like you deal very well with the trials and tribulations of sketching strangers. Keep up the good work!! Nice drawing...

You should look up the sketchbook project online sounds like something you would be interested in participating in.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 7 Oct 2011 11:17 AM

Another drawing done in transit on the transit bus. This guy was an unknowingly great model, he played his part and didn't recognize that I was starring at him. Thanks man!!!

Man with cap backwards +  (Detail Close-Up)
11 x 14 
Ballpoint on Archival Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 7 Oct 2011 11:23 AM

Thanks Macchio!!! I've been doing drawings on public transit for about 4-5 years now and developed what I called the starring game, this is where I sense when a person is going to look so I don't get caught. Oh and yes I've seen the Sketchbook Project where you send a sketchbook of your work to the library. Honesty I don't get it... seems like you are sending someone original copies of your work for free (not into that type of activity). Perhaps I need to look into it further for more clarity. If you can explain how that can be beneficial that would be great. Thanks!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 8 Oct 2011 4:35 AM

This is a drawing I did of a student at Oakland School For The Arts today. I liked the gesture so much I decided to leave the table out of the drawing.

Im finally starting to edit and compile tons of drawings in preparation for my first drawing book, not sure if this one will make the cut but I like it not the less. Actually I have been getting lots of good feedback on this image on Facebook so it just might make it Ha Ha.

Student writing
11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen on Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 8 Oct 2011 3:47 PM

I really liked the lines in this drawing. The man exited the bus before I could grace the drawing with shading but life happens perfectly because when I looked at it the day after, I realized it was beautiful how it was. Knowing "when to say when" is the subject here huh lol. 

I started this drawing at the nose which has been the starting point for many of my latest works. Especially the nose between the lens of glasses. I also really got into the wrinkles in his neck and at the corner of the mouth. The belt buckle seemed to have made it's own statement in this drawing as well Ha Ha. 

One more thing I'd like to point out in this drawing is the stitching on the ball cap and coat - stitching, moles, pores and patterns of hair growth have been emerging quite strongly in my recent works. It's a good challenge for me to see how delicate and careful I can be when creating these detail while on a bumpy transit bus. I find myself slowing my breath and sometimes holding it as I process the subject matter and communicate it through marks on the page, it's almost as if I'm trapped in time during those moments.

Man right profile
11 x 14
Ballpoint pen on paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 1,895
on 8 Oct 2011 6:09 PM

Daewood it actualy isn't for free because you pay 15$ for the sketchbook... and not sure but I think you get it back. I actualy paid for the sketchbook but never sent it in because it was a little As far as being beneficial any kind of exposure is good you just have to find what works for you...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 1,895
on 8 Oct 2011 6:11 PM

This is superb!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 8 Oct 2011 8:30 PM

THanks Elizabeth!!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 8 Oct 2011 8:31 PM

Just finished a good painting session. I set up my easel on Telegraph in front of Xolo's and painted The Fox Theater (plein air). I also recorded the process so I will be posting photos of the painting tomorrow (too dark to photograph now) along with the video. Lots o' Fun!!! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 9 Oct 2011 11:41 PM

I quick sketch I did of the Fox Theater in Oakland. 
Here is the video where you can watch me creating this sketch:
http://youtu.be/e5N27sGxsFA

Fox Theater
24 x 18
Oil

e5N27sGxsFA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 750
on 9 Oct 2011 11:41 PM

This is a quick sketch I did of the Fox Theater in Oakland. 
Here is the video where you can watch me creating this sketch:
http://youtu.be/e5N27sGxsFA

Fox Theater
24 x 18
Oil

e5N27sGxsFA

Page 2 of 6 (88 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS