The Art of Dawood (Marion) Sekhem

This post has 88 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 26 Sep 2011 10:45 PM

Hi, my name is Dawood Marion and I have been drawing since I was really young (like 5 or 6). I currently teach drawing in the Bay Area and produce lots of drawings on trains and the transit buses during the commute to teach and going other places. I  like the challenge of trying to nail the likeness of a person within 2-4 minutes before they decide to exit the train or drastically change they're position. One of my goals is to have my work featured in Artist Daily "Drawing" publication, so I am starting here by posting my work to share it with you all. Thanks for viewing my work and feel free to leave your comments, questions and other information. 

Here are links to more of my work online:

Fine Art / Sketches:
http://dawoodsketchs.blogspot.com/

Portfolio:
http://www.dawoodmarion.com/

Dawood on Youtube:
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dawoodmarion

Pulled this one off during todays commute. It was an Asian man sitting directly in front of me. I know he saw the beginning but then I tilted my book more towards me so he didn't see the final outcome and still not sure if he knew I was drawing him.

Asian man looking out transit window

11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen on Archival Paper

Did this drawing during yesterday morning commute. I got deep into it and really tried to "Create Life On The Paper."
Asian man wearing glasses
8 x 11
Ballpoint Pen on Archival Paper

This is my good friend Ruth Smith (age 94). I teach her drawing every friday and constantly watch her progress. 

Ruth Smith 

11 x 14

Ballpoint On Paper Archival Paper

Ruth Smith (Detail close-up)

Me and Ruth after a great drawing session...

This is my good friend Bola Thompson who also joins in on the friday drawing sessions. 

Bola Thompson

11 x 14

Ballpoint pen on 

Asian woman with groceries

11 x 14

A drawing of an African woman riding the transit bus. I showed her this drawing and she really liked it as normally I don't show the work because either they leave, I leave or I just never know they're reaction. 

African Woman on Transit

11 x 14

I captured this guy on  the Muni Transit bus while crossing the Bay Bridge headed back to Oakland from San Francisco.

Caucasian Man on Transit

11 x 14

I did this drawing on the bus today in East Oakland.  The woman was so peaceful as she read her book. Her hair reminded me of an apple eating, prudent librarian reading on an orange/purpleish sky afternoon. Peaceful, simple, collected. She probably has lots of grand babies and takes care of her disabled brother. She wore a beautiful earth toned scarf with an olive green skirt and teachers assistant ran nurse shoes. 
I bet she has apple juice in her icebox and graham crackers in the cubbard with a wind chime in the window over the kitchen sink. 
African Woman Reading Book On Transit Bus
11 x 14
Ballpoint Pen On Paper

African Woman Reading Book On Transit Bus (Detail Close-up)

Thanks for viewing my work!!!!!Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,095
Points 50,480
Margo5 wrote
on 27 Sep 2011 12:30 PM

Daywood, I love your work. Thanks for sharing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 27 Sep 2011 4:13 PM

Fabulous!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 27 Sep 2011 7:42 PM

Thanks Margo!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 27 Sep 2011 7:43 PM

Thanks KatPaints!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 1,605
on 27 Sep 2011 8:16 PM

Very nice!! I love to sketch also it's fun and passes time if your sitting and waiting somewhere.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 27 Sep 2011 8:26 PM

Thanks Elizabeth!!! Yeah, drawing is what makes a 40 + min. commute seem like 10 mins. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 1,605
on 27 Sep 2011 9:14 PM

You got that right!!! Keep on drawing I hope you make the cover!! Those ladies you hang with on Fridays look like a lot of fun!!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 27 Sep 2011 9:22 PM

Ha Ha!!! Yes Ruth and Bola are awesome. Thanks !! i would love to be on the cover of Artist Daily!!!Stick out tongue

Thanks for putting that energy out there. I need to find out who to contact specifically about getting in the publication.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 27 Sep 2011 10:30 PM

This is a drawing I did today during the commute. I showed the man after I completed the drawing and he was blown away by how fast and on point the likeness captured. 

African Man looking out transit window

11 x 14

Ballpoint Pen on Paper

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 1,605
on 28 Sep 2011 4:33 PM

Very nice!! I admire your guts in showing it to people.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 28 Sep 2011 6:18 PM

Thanks Elizabeth!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 1 Oct 2011 8:51 AM

Interesting how this composition came together as these guys were not sitting together. I drew the guy in the front and when he exited I drew the other who was sitting in a different area... I actually had to move around to get the proper point of view that would make it look as if the were side by side. I really like the lighting effect in this drawing also. Thanks for viewing - Enjoy!

"Two dudes riding the bus"

11 x 14

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 765
on 1 Oct 2011 10:34 AM

Thanks Elizabeth!!! I would love to grace the cover of American Artist "Drawing" magazine some day and have people around the globe checking out my work :) Here is a vision of what that cover might look like. Heres to putting the good energy our into the universe...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 1,605
on 1 Oct 2011 6:34 PM

Great idea!! now you can really envision what you want which will help you to get it .... Putting the bar code on there is a great touch....

Page 1 of 6 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS