some inspiration

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 130
Addie2 wrote
on 25 Aug 2011 12:29 PM

Hi to everyone...I am new.   This is the first art  forum that I have joined, and actually participated in.  I guess I need your help.  For about 1 year now, my mind feels cluttered and my well of imagination  has run dry.  I really really can not come up with anything to paint...its horrifying. 

Brief history:  I am self taught.  Have taken 3 courses. I have dabbled in pastel, pen and ink, pencil, acrylic...have to try oil, sculpture, and everything else!...but am struggling with something atm.    I am now working on a childrens's book writing it and illustrating, in acrylic.  Am so close to finishing but have periods where I just can not get it together.  Sometimes it just flows so easily, and sometimes I struggle.  Sometimes it feels right and then other times I think..."what was I thinking?".  I am an emotional artist...does that make sense to others?  I have to feel something when I am painting it.  And I do my best work or I am happiest with the resulting piece, when the time I am creating this piece, is in a transcendental state.  Total peace and out of this world.  That when I am finished I wonder how it all happened or who did this?  Do not know what I do or how I do it, to get to that place, ....If i knew , it alone would suffice:)   And I would be painting non stop Indifferent yay!

Anyway, I am looking for ideas to get it together, and give my imagination a kick.  How does everyone else here get inspired?  Is this normal?  To have these long periods where you just can't seem to pick up a brush?

P.S.  Just realized that there are other threads asking for inspiration.  Will take a look at those, would've deleted this one...but don't know how.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 250
naefrond1982 wrote
on 27 Feb 2012 2:56 PM

Addie2:

Hi to everyone...I am new.   This is the first art  forum that I have joined, and actually participated in.  I guess I need your help.  For about 1 year now, my mind feels cluttered and my well of imagination  has run dry.  I really really can not come up with anything to paint...its horrifying.

It happens to me sometimes Sad

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 226
Points 4,040
Jay Babina wrote
on 29 Feb 2012 8:39 AM

I was just reading a book about the Impressionists and the influence of their lives. They painted their lives. The book showed all these less popular but beautiful paintings of the Impressionists families, picnics, children, rooms of their houses, pets. the kitchen etc. Many times new artists assume that a painting is something other than their lives like a painting of some water lilies or some fruit.

On a less philosophical thought, I would join any art clubs and societies in your area. All great artists hung around with other artists. With other artists, there is a wealth of inspiration and dedication as well as an energy stimulus. If there are no organizations in your area, try starting one.

Let others see and read your book for thoughts. Nobody is going to steal it. No artist is in full swing 24/7, and there are times you need introspection as well.

Visit galleries and Museums with friends.

Good luck with your book.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS