learningoils wrote
on 16 Aug 2011 10:07 AM

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 205
crowdaddy wrote
on 17 Aug 2011 12:13 PM

OK, It looks like a print, but it is hard enough to tell from an original, let alone a picture of an original and or print!

http://douglaschambers.org

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 17 Aug 2011 5:54 PM

You need to use a loop to view the piece up close. A loop is a high powered magnifying glass used by the graphics industry/printers in order to check the quality of the dot pattern of a print. Up close, a print looks like a Lichtenstein artwork. You will not be able to tell with just a magnifying glass nor by taking a photograph and then viewing it over the internet. The quality of the resolution drops making the dots fuzzy.

My guess is that this is a painting because of the texture of paper and shadow near the stem and vein unless these are prints also. Since the year is 87 that may also suggest that this is an original since printing on this stock is expensive. You may be able to borrow a loop at an art/photo store or even a jeweler.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 4,625
on 17 Aug 2011 6:46 PM

Kat is correct in that you would need a loop to tell if is an original or print.  Although, the lack of a dot pattern is not sufficient evidence to judge it as an original. A giclee print does not have a dot structure and looks like a continuous tone image.  However,  good inspection with a loop can determine if it is a painting. This can only be done with the actual piece in question. 

Paul Sullivan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 18 Aug 2011 5:18 AM

Paul, Yep forgot about giclee. I wonder if you can do a giclee on this type of paper. I've mostly seen smooth prints. I would be interested in using this type paper.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 4,625
on 18 Aug 2011 9:43 AM

Hi Kat—

Yes, giclee prints can be done on watercolor paper. I have giclee prints of a lot of my watercolors and they are printed on watercolor paper. There are times when I have to look twice to be sure that I am looking at a print rather than the original.  

I don't claim to be an expert on giclee printing. I have had good and bad experiences with the process on watercolor paper. As a rule the best color is produced on a harder surface. However, with Epson fine art printers and Epson recommended watercolor paper, I have seen excellent results. 

Paul Sullivan

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 18 Aug 2011 5:28 PM

Great! Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS