transporting french easels

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
carin-anne wrote
on 26 May 2011 4:25 PM

I have never traveled on public transportation with my french easel before.  I was wondering what folks do when having to treat it as luggage?  Do I even need to bring it or will easels be provided?  What about solvent and mediums?   I tried looking for a case to carry my easel in but Mabef doesn't make one that I know of.  What do other folks do?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 26 May 2011 5:04 PM

I went last year to Laguna and took portrait workshops. Easels were provided - junky easels. I think the plein air artists brought their own easels. At the last minute I found out that easels were provided so I did not take my half box french easel. Instead I packed my paints and brushes in my suitcase. Each paint (oops --oil color, do not call them paint) needed to be accompanied by a manufacturer's information regarding flashpoint and "toxicity" I folded them up and put them in a ziplock bag with the oil colors.( go to the manufacturer's website for each color.) I found a note stating that these are artists materials, are non-toxic and are within standards. I printed it and placed it in my luggage with my supplies. It says the following:

PRINT OUT AND PLACE IN LUGGAGE WITH ART SUPPLIES

The US Department of Transportation defines flammable liquids" as those with a flash point 1400 degrees F or below. Artist grade oil colors are based on vegetable oil with a flash point at or above 450 degrees F. THEY ARE NOT HAZARDOUS.

If you need to confirm this, please contact TSA at 866-289-9673 or their Hazardous Materials Research Center at 800-467-4922.

I also added my cell phone because I didn't want anyone to pitch them --- just in case. I also checked my bags because I learned that most problems occured with carry-ons. I suggest not putting the paints inside your easel.  You can also take linseed oil, but not most mediums.  Liquin has an individual print out, but I heard that many artists (via internet) had issues with liquin so I just didn't take it. If you really want to take it read the information closely and decide for yourself. Chances are you can buy it there.

Each instructor should already have a supply list somewhere linked to the Master's weekend website. Mineral spirits will be provided but mediums should be purchased on site. They should be setting up a store so you can buy supplies as needed.

Are you flying, bus, train??

edit: I just looked up your easel online and it is a full box. yes? If you are flying, I'd suggest the following:

1. ship it to the hotel.

2. pack it in a luggage and check your bags. (Consider the extra baggage cost vs. shipping both ways. UPS will be (?) on site the last day. Selling boxes for set prices, but check with the hotel also.)

3. Find out if plein air easels will be provided or not.

4. Get a cheap half box easel, mine was less than $25.

5. Usually you get a freebie bag with sketchpad, pencils, a smock, a couple of brushes, etc. I ASSUME you can count on this again. (Are you going to the plein air or the one in Northern California?)

6. I purchased a large canvas tote bag with a zipper top from LLBean and I use it for my weekly plein air outings. It's great!  and worked wonders at the weekend event.Your easel should have a strap. You can pack your paints and brushes in the easel and carry the tote bag.  I'd also consider getting a wet panel carrier from raymar.

Try to keep it light. Good luck

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
carin-anne wrote
on 26 May 2011 6:10 PM

Thank you so much for the info!  I never thought of shipping my easel to the hotel,  how convenient. I also have a pochade,  maybe that will be easier.   I will be taking portrait workshops this time at Monterey.  Perhaps we will see each other.  As for transporting my paints...what a hassle.  Imagine having to have paperwork for each color.  What a world.  I see I will be using a limited palette at these workshops.  LOL.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 27 May 2011 5:19 AM

I'm not going this year, who are you taking workshops with? Plein air in Monterey would be awesome!

Printing each color wasn't difficult to do. Some brands combined colors for one sheet.I highlighted the color names, the flashpoint and the words non-hazardous. My guess is that no one will even touch this info, but these are the proceedures and I've read stories of oil colors getting pitched at the airport. If you are not taking any plein air workshops, leave the easel at home unless they are not providing easels - be sure to check on this info. If you do take your easel, find a way to ship it home.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075
KatPaints wrote
on 4 Aug 2011 8:28 PM

Just an update in case someone needs this for reference. Check out Itunes. Go to the store and search for the podcast "Artists Helping Artists."  There is a podcast "Sisterhood of the Traveling Paints" which is excellent. I can tell that they used much of the same reference that I found online, but they have lots of other tips and stories to share.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS