How to Post Images in the Media Gallery

This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Points 895
American Artist Staff
admin wrote
on 25 Sep 2008 2:25 PM | Locked

Please see Karyn's description below....

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 8 Dec 2008 10:47 AM

In order to upload or view any images and/or post in any forums, you will first want to register and become a member.  You’ll notice the large red “join now” boxes on your screen in the top right corner.  Click the button and follow the instructions there to become part of the site. 

•   So, now that you are here and you’ve looked around a little bit, you’ve decided to post in the Gallery.  You can click on the Gallery tab at the top of the page and this will open a window showing you thumbnails of all the Galleries.  There are currently three:  American Artist Gallery, Member Gallery and Free eBook Gallery.

The American Artist gallery is a collection of images that have been uploaded by the editors and staff for the American Artist, Drawing and Watercolor Magazines.  They will discuss many of these images in their blogs.  Take some time to check those out, too, when you can.

The Member Gallery is open to the entire membership to upload their own art.  We take copyright seriously here, so don’t upload artwork images that you don’t own.  Please do not upload more than 3 images per 24 hours; this way all members have a chance to have their work on the front pages.

The Free eBook Gallery is a library of PDF downloads that you are welcome to use if you are a member of the site.  These PDFs are free content including articles from the magazines, and specially created white pages for the online audience.

Sometimes there are other galleries for competition winners or events such as the Drawing Scholarship competition or the Utrecht Competition seen on the left.

Now we’re ready to start. 

•  Neart the top of the page, you’ll notice a link to the far right under the RSS button labeled  "Upload."

Click on the link and select the "Member Gallery".  At this time, it should be the only gallery available to most members for uploading.

•  Next, there is a large window requesting the File, the name and then the Description.  You can fill this out in any order, but usually people start with the actual file. 

•   Click on the File/URL key and this will open to another window, giving you the choice to upload from your hard drive or link to a URL.   With either options, you’ll only be able to upload images of the following type:  .jpg, .gif or .png.

•   Keep your images under 1 MB and close to 500 pixels in width.  Take note that even though the system will not resize the images for you, there is an allotted amount to how much space each member will have to upload.  Keeping your images small will make them easier for others to view and will give you more space to upload in the future.  If the images are larger, they become more difficult for other members to view. 

•   Once you have uploaded your image, you’ll need to Name the piece and put in a description.  Many people like to share the dimensions of the piece, the medium and then ask for comments.  That is totally up to you.

•   Lastly, you’ll see a box for “Tags” 

This is very important, and I’ll write another post on tagging to help everyone understand its usuage.  But basically, tags allow your image to be found and searched more easily.  Tag your painting based on its medium, subject matter, substrate, location or even your name.  You can select tags that are already in the system, or you can create your own.  Put a comma between each tag that you select for your piece.  For example, if you are uploading a watercolor portrait, then you will tag your piece like this:  watercolor, portrait.  Type in each word, with a comma between.  If you type in Watercolor portrait together, then it will be more difficult to find your painting.  Refer to my post on “The Purpose of Tagging” to learn more.

•   That’s all you need to do, then click Save.  Your image will go into the Gallery for the rest of the membership to view. 

•    To remove or edit your image, you will click on the thumbnail view to open it.  Next to the image there will be several links for you so that you can alter or delete your piece.

Thanks for joining the site!  I hope you found this post helpful, but feel free to post questions if you need more help.

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 160
ehsmith1 wrote
on 7 Jan 2009 12:38 PM

Karyn

I have looked at the images uploaded by members and under some was the word downloads.

What is this indicating?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 7 Jan 2009 1:02 PM

Hello Harold,

This is actually indicating that members can view the image more closely.  It won't download the image to your machine, but rather it will open another window for closer viewing.

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 130
katchen54 wrote
on 25 Mar 2009 8:37 AM

Hello Karyn

I tried to upload a file into the member gallery but failed. It always tell me to upload a file after I enter the title, tags and  "save".  Please help. Thanks.

zhen

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 2,285
mdjli wrote
on 25 Mar 2009 8:51 AM

Ive been trying to upload a file into the members gallery since yesterday and it will not let me, is the system down??? 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 130
katchen54 wrote
on 25 Mar 2009 6:55 PM

This morning I tried to upload again and it worked. Thank for the help.

zhen

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 26 Mar 2009 7:32 AM

We had a problem with permissions yesterday.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'm glad you were able eto upload some work, Zhen.  Nice to have you here.

I'm hoping, Jorge, too, that you found the system in good working order.

Best,

Karyn

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 890
on 30 Jul 2009 10:31 AM

Hi

I can't seem to find the 'figure gallery' under the galleries prompt....Should I just upload under 'member gallery'?

Thanks.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 30 Jul 2009 1:57 PM

Hello Adriano,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, just post under the member gallery.  We removed the Figure gallery a long time ago, and I had forgotten to change this post.  I appreciate the reminder, I'll make the adjustment right away.

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 16 Oct 2009 3:56 PM

Karyn, in spite of all these wonderful directions, I just managed to flunk "upload." My file was too large and has disappeared into "oblivian." Yep, I probably just made up a word, but it (the painting) is still "out there" somewhere. There doesn't seem to be any way to cancel it, and I am guessing I am going to have to go into Photoshop and try to figure out how to downsize it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 20 Oct 2009 12:52 PM

Hello Margo,

I'm sure you're doing just fine.  You can use Photoshop to change the size of your images and it will do a fine job.  But, there are applications that make it easier.  Try this post in the "Help:" section on resizing:

http://www.artistdaily.com/forums/t/2310.aspx

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 3,295
Nat Friedman wrote
on 7 Dec 2009 2:43 PM

Karyn:

Thanks for all of your feedback...you certainly are responsive to problems. Following your advice, I reduced the photo to less than postage stamp size, and was able to upload it.  See Kisu's post in Member's Gallery of Dec. 6th titled "Shingled House"

Thanks again,

Nat

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,915
Karyn wrote
on 8 Dec 2009 1:29 PM

So glad to be of help!  Nice redo for Kisu, too.  Smile

Write anytime!

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 295
Tyson wrote
on 20 Jan 2010 10:07 AM

I was curious if there is a way to view and edit one's own group of uploads in the Gallery area on the artistdaily.com website?

In other words, can the gallery give each member a page containing all of the art they personally have posted in the member gallery?

The reason I ask, is so that I can get to my posts and respond to comments without having to search for the art I posted on the main list.

Thanks for your time!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS