Have any of you been to Europe?

This post has 20 Replies | 10 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,095
European wrote
on 2 Feb 2009 2:24 AM

Hello Smile

I'm from Europe, and live currently in Spain. We normally get a few american tourists in the summer, and a few more in September/ October.

So I wonder, have any of you ever been to Europe? If so, which country? Did you like it?

• | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
Points 875
yewtree99 wrote
on 3 Feb 2009 2:16 PM

I wish I could live in Europe, Im currently living in a desert area. Not one of my most favorite enviroments. I am planning on moving to Europe when i graduate High School.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 14,985
j.b2 wrote
on 12 Feb 2009 2:23 PM

I would love to be able to go.

But it will take a powerball win to get the money..

I hope to make it before I'm too old to enjoy all there is to offer...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
steve2 wrote
on 18 Feb 2009 7:35 PM

I have childhood memories in Italy and Germany - Dad was a GI lawyer - state dept stuff - we went all over -

the fountains and bells in St Peters plaza was a major source of delight for me as a tottler -

I would chime out  "Ding Dong Laqua ! "  as we scooted by in the army jeep -

and of course the Excelsior hotel at the bottom of the Spanish Stairs and The Trevi Fountain

( seems that bit about returing to Rome if you toss a coin in is subject to speculation ) -

we also live in Naples and later on in Heidleberg

castles and museums and GREAT BIG ALPS with snow and waterfalls  !  - probably why I believe I am an artist now

when I grew up and it was my turn to serve -I opted for the Navy and wound up on a carrier in the Pacific -

.... not bad ! -  but Not Europe !

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 980
Chip Warren wrote
on 4 Mar 2009 12:28 PM

Travel to Belgium at least once a year.  Side trips to Amsterdam several times and Paris a couple times. 

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 400
on 5 Sep 2009 5:48 AM

Hello,

I was fortunate to travel Europe 25 years ago.  I put a back-pack on and traversed through Italy, Greece, Switzerland, France and Ireland for 3 months.  I didn't have a traveling companion, and found uniques experiences that presented themselves simply because I was fully engaged with the local people.  It was, bar none, the finest experience of my life.  Being immersed in a culture where art permeates every turn from architecture to textiles and every medium in between was the most pleasurable memory I have retained.

I don't know if I could state which country I preferred most.  Each culture/people/physical nature had it's individual beauty that made it special for each area.

Much time has past now, yet remained adamant that I would one day return to Europe and continue the personal journey started many years ago.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,770
jaydub wrote
on 8 Sep 2009 9:33 AM

I was in hungary , last year, to meet my wife maria varga. Hungary was different from where i live in many ways. The houses are organic, the streets are very skinny, and NO fast food dumps, as a result people there are not overweight like here in U.S. Buda/Pest was amazing, such history! Thousands of years of human endeavor set aside in the Buda area,running abrupt against post-modern busy body manufacturings of human living/working spaces of Pest. To sit in a side walk cafe eating in Budapest was something i thought would never happen.

However, Rome's Leonardo da Vinci Airport in Fiumicino, a seaside town near Italy's capital, Sucks big time! Example..

ROME - It's an enduring problem in the eternal city-seemingly endless baggage delays at Rome's Leonardo da Vinci airport?

Now, Rome's mayor says he is determined to resolve the issue after he joined the legions of Rome-bound travelers left waiting for their bags at the airport in Fiumicino, a seaside town near Italy's capital.

"I, too, have become a victim of an incredible inconvenience that continues to repeat itself at Fiumicino airport-the long wait for baggage," Mayor Gianni Alemanno said.

He summoned baggage handling companies, airport management and civil aviation authorities to City Hall for a meeting early next month "so that this shame can end as soon as possible."

After a flight Monday night from Venice of scarcely an hour, "I waited for more than an hour, in a crowded room and with air conditioning which barely worked," Alemanno said in a statement.

His jacket draped over a baggage cart, Alemanno leaned up against a pillar and waited in his shirt sleeves along with wife for his bags to arrive, according to photos published Wednesday on the front page of national daily Corriere della Sera, which said it obtained the pictures from a passenger who took them on a cell phone.

"It's an unacceptable situation for an airport that should be of international caliber," the mayor said in one of three statements his office issued Tuesday night about the problem.

Alemanno's wait was hardly unique or particularly lengthy: Frequent travelers to Rome say it's not uncommon to wait up to two hours for bags to materialize, if they arrive at all.

Italy's national civil aviation authority ENAC on Wednesday announced its own summit on the problem.

ENAC said on Tuesday alone, about 20 fines were levied, amounting to a total of around ?40,000 ($57,000), against Alitalia and ground services companies including baggage handlers, because of delayed or lost bags.

Fines can be levied if the wait for bags to be put on the carousel takes longer than 30 minutes for domestic flights, with a little more leeway for international flights. But there's a loophole: Just putting a few of the flight's bags on the conveyer belts within the time limit is enough to avoid a fine.

That might help explain why a couple of bags always seem to materialize quickly, raising what turn out to be foolish hopes when the rest of the bags tumble out much later.

On Tuesday, two Alitalia flights for Milan's Linate airport took off without loading any luggage at all, leaving the passengers to wait hours for other flights from Rome to arrive with their bags, Italian news reports said.

Fiumicino's baggage problem has defied earlier efforts to solve it. Two years ago, in the middle of the peak summer travel season, Italy's then-transport minister promised measures to improve the chaotic baggage-handling system after thousands of outbound bags were left unloaded.

Some Alitalia unions have blamed the problems on labor cuts after the national carrier was privatized last year. One union for Alitalia on Wednesday called a one-day strike for Sept. 18 in protest.

Not only baggage but getting boarding passes is unreal..one of the passengers after waiting 40 minutes or so went behind the counter, and went in to the small cubby hole where an alitalia employee was doing something on a puter and grabbed him by the collar and yanked him up out of his seat. After about 5 minutes of yelling the roma police came and finally found a beautiful board pass agent, who acted like she was walking down the runway modeling alitalia work wear. The custom process was done barely by young  kids, for whom were so lackadaisical , the passengers were doing the jobs for them. Oh last but not least .. the buses taking us from the planes to the terminal, if you did not see the others bracing themselves..in time you and your luggage will be spawling all over the bus.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,095
European wrote
on 13 Jan 2010 7:05 AM

Nice to see that some of you have been to Europe. Me myself have only been to America once, almost 6 years ago! We went to New York, and from there we went to Washington D.C. on a daytrip. Nice place and I'd love to go back one day!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,705
Dice wrote
on 14 Jan 2010 10:04 PM

I was stationed in Germany in the early 1990's while serving in the Army. I didn't travel as much as I should have.

Which I now regret. With this crazy world the way it is I could seriously

see myself going to Europe with only a back pack and portable easel. Living the life of a bohemian and having some fun

where ever I wound up.

Europe is too beautiful and full of rich history for anyone not to want to visit and maybe live permanently. Viva La France!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
on 15 Jan 2010 7:04 AM

Europe is constant source of inspiration to me (Like a battery charger) and over the last twenty years, I have been trying to go twice a year to different regions. In March I backpacked through France, Italy Germany and England. The highpoints were Cezzane's studio & terrain in Aix en Provence and hiking to the five hilltowns in Cinque Terra. Paris is always my friend and I visit a small section at a time to experience it properly. Your country of Spain is probably one of the most vibrant centers for contemporary art. I enjoy in particular the unspoiled regions of the southeast. I always have the added bonus of 40 years of Architecture (Now concentrating on my art) and I now carry my watercolor sketchbook everywhere.

John Ackerman

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 3,195
on 15 Jan 2010 7:19 AM

Hi.  I've been to England, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy, as well as Georgia and Slovenia, but I've never been to Spain.  I understand that it's beautiful.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 4,660
YSokolov wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 7:28 AM

I was born in European part of Russia. Ivanovo city. I lived there until I was 16, and I have seen a lot of different parts of my country. St. Petersburg (remember when it was still Leningrad), Moscow, Kirov, Vladimir, and many more. Most of all what sticks in my mind is when we went to vacation at my grandmother's in a small village of Zapashka. It was so close to Volga river that we went there very often. You know the scenery in some of the Ilija Repin's paintings near seaside or a river, that's exactly what it looked like when we went. The river is so massive, and yet the shallow end seem endless. You could walk into the river about 50 yards and still have water only up to your waist. Russia has a great history and I do still  draw inspiration from my old country. 

Y. Sokolov

http://tinyurl.com/yvsokolovArt

YVS

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,331
Points 19,200
Antonin2 wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 10:58 AM

Well, I am french and lived in Burgundy between Auxerre and Vezelay...the cherry trees blooming...the vineyards...each hills hide a little village...the sky... France made me an impressionist painter.

Oh yeah, and I am going to visit Marly le roy, Barbizon, Louveciennes and Giverny (Monet's house). I will post some pictures for you guys ;)                                                                                     

http://antonin-paintingthemoment.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 14,985
j.b2 wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 1:16 PM

Antonin, Please post photos, I think we would love to see them. Have Fun!

Looks like a beutiful area!!

And so far nobody has sent me "Winning Loto" numbers so I can make the trip. And if I do go I'll have to take my daughter Cherie so I can have someone who speaks French!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 4,660
YSokolov wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 1:46 PM

I really am a big fan of French Impressionism, and would love to see those images of Monet's house. Have a good trip!

YVS

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS