CHALLENGE #3 - Dec. 13, 2010 - Jan. 17, 2011

This post has 295 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 10:54 AM

Bob your versatility amazes me. Do these things just pop into your head? This is such lovely work. You constantly inspire us to look outside tha box. Jen

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 11:22 AM

Bob - that is a really interesting and beautiful piece you did. I am always amazed by what you do. It is truly inspiring.

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
on 15 Jan 2011 12:18 PM

Fascinating approach to the challenge with beautiful results.

Monica

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 15 Jan 2011 1:50 PM

Bob, this "sandwich" is beautiful. It looks like your own unique take on the snow scene with a fence and trees that several of us have drawn. I admire the beautiful results you get in so many different and unusual mediums.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 2:14 PM

Bob- Your snowy landscape is so unique, and it's Just before Sunlight, not the Sunset. Your approach to produce it is SO AMAZING and beyond common knowledge. Jen is right, your versatility has no boundary.

Sandi

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 5:51 PM

I'm knocked out by the many kind comments-  sincere thanks!

Jen - yes - the ideas pop right in - can elaborate in the chatter section if you wish.

Today's humble offering:

Burning Just Before Sunrise (watercolor and pyrography):

Tools: note hinged/rotatable/cork-covered/lazy susaning "easel" = scrap wood + 10 bucks worth of hardware:

Quick freehand watercolor drawing to establish composition:

Quick water color washes - don't forget to rotate your work to get varied viewpoints and greater physical comfort:

Burning:

Burr (brrrrr?) in those snowy highlights with a diamond bit or standard rotary burr (Proxxon or Dremel tool, low rpm):

Uh oh - painting is to long - need to adjust it (may someday recycle the excess) - trusty saw:

See if they want to be outside:

Yes, happy outside, so I Krylon-fixed them and left them there, all  2.75 x 3.75" of them.

Have fun.

Best regards. - Bob

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 15 Jan 2011 6:19 PM

Bob, you have gotten a lot of miles out of "Just Before Sunrise."  Hope Holly has a good landscape to post next week.  People seem to have really liked that one.

The snow in this new piece came out really well and is quite convincing.  It's another pretty sky although the wood grain adds another dimension.  I like how the fence or guard rail moves into the picture and directs the eye to the right tree.  Your photos of the process and explanation are both easy to follow.  I'm impressed. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 7:15 PM

Bob: this is so interesting. I like the way the grain of the wood makes light streaks through the sky and your trees look alive.Love the texture of the snow and as Sammy says the way the wall leads you back in to the painting. I am convinced you don't sleep as Ideas are wirling through your mind all the time! Jen 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 8:23 AM

I hate to follow Bob's [and several other's]  incredibly beautiful  art with this crude tacky piece [if anyone finds it offensive or sexist it is not meant to be and I will ask Courtney to delete it] no title yet but "reading of the bans" "decision at dawn " and "the proposel" my appologies in advance   James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 9:15 AM

James - Very nice!!

Open to all sorts of interpretations - I especially like the blend of facial expressions - at least 6 stories in progress in this one.

Keep up the fine work.

- Bob

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 12:10 PM

James:It looks like the things have really hotted up between the frog and the fairy! She looks pregnant and her Dad is right behind her with the shotgun.The frog is out gambling so I don't know if this marriage will end well and goodness knows about the offspring!!! Jen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 5:07 PM

Bob- I enjoyed the process and the end result of your new version of "Before the Sunrise". Love the snow with the tracks on it. The trees seem frozen and I detected white lines coming down from the sky to the snow. Theses must be movements of the wind blowing snow. Or they might be the clouds movement. Whatever, love the way you cropped your picture. I need that saw to cut up some of mine, right through the middle parts of them.Big Smile

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 5:17 PM

James- I have to look at this painting numerous times trying to figure out the title for you. Have to interpret why and what the Turkey is doing there among the players. Bob is right in saying that there are at least six stories to this one. Oh! it looks like he is one of the players. Oh Gosh! I give up.

Actually, this is a fun and mysterious painting. Hope the Frog and the Fairy Princess reach a Big Happy Ending.

Sandi

Right Hug Sandi

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 5:47 PM

Sandi - Many thanks.

Yes - nothing like a trusty saw to refocus a painting.

- Bob

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 16 Jan 2011 5:57 PM

James, you did the "Just Before Sunrise" sky beautifully.  There are a lot of stories going on here.  That frog is sitting there trying to look innocent but I suspect he's guilty.  Of what, I'm not sure.  His fairy princess friend does look pregnant so that's a good story.  The card players don't look happy - could they resent the intrusion on their game.  What is that big red and black thing the man following the fairy princess is carrying?  You got us all guessing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 18 of 20 (296 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next > | RSS