challenge CHATTER !! - Dec. 7 - 13, 2010

This post has 524 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 1:56 PM

Hal- I so love this new and improved version of your trees. They look so leafy and have lots of depth. Love the dark blue shadows on the evergreen trees. The lighter colors of the bushes/trees in front make them pop. The biggest yellow one in front is sure in the sweet spot and is a focal point. The tallest evergreen on the left seems to be the second focal point.

You really nailed it, Hal. Super!

Sandi

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 9,315
halsart wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 2:14 PM

Thank you Sandi.

Hal :  The Sunset Beckons:

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 2:20 PM

Hi all , another in my sports series I don't know anything about tennis so it was kind of difficult to imagine a humorous situation but I did hear about bad boy Mc Enroe so here it is. Hope it will make you 0  done on 140# canson CP 9x12

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 9,315
halsart wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 2:26 PM

Well done Fred, it's really well done.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 15 Jan 2011 2:50 PM

Hi Fred, about half an hour ago I wondered when the next bad news bear would show up ... And here he is! I thought "what is that thing on the referee's neck and why is he looking so pained?" OMG. It's a TENNIS RACKET!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 15 Jan 2011 6:24 PM

Fred, I am right to assume that the bear on the lower right hit his partner (the bear sitting on the log post) over the head with a tennis racket and the official is trying to remove it.  I wonder if this happened accidentally or if it was on purpose.

The way you placed the bears in a circle keeps one looking around the painting with interest.  Another good and fun painting.

Sam/Sammy

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 6:36 PM

Fred- I left you a comment in WC but will repeat it here. " I don't play Tennis but I sometimes play Badminton games. Sometimes I feel like wanting to whack someone's head like this. This painting makes me feel so good and much fun".

Sandi

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 7:03 PM

Fred: just dying laughing. I watched the Mc Enroe temper tantrams and although he never went quite as far as wacking his raquet over the umpire's head I am sure there were times he wanted to! Of course he is now a responsible middle aged Dad so there is hope for your bears eventually! Great job. Jen

Okay, well here is the latest version of my boat. After I downloaded the picture I looked again and I think it is still off. I was going to bring the painting home but somehow I left without it so can't do anything until Thursday when I go to art class again. Not sure I am up to doing any better. Anyway Hal is it more boat like or did I make it worse? Jen

Not sure what the dark spot in the middle is. Probably my stomac shadow!!!! I worked on straightening the sea lines too. They are better but still a bit of a dip there. Really need to take a beter picture.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 9,315
halsart wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 7:35 PM

Jen that's a large improvement.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Jan 2011 9:32 PM

Thanks Hal I tried. Big Smile Jen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 5:51 AM

Jen- My remark about your production is meant to be a complement, not a complaint. It's a tease. Actually I admire you for your discipline and staying focus. You start a painting and stay with it until finish. I, on the other hand, am always distracted. I'll do my oil, then my watercolor, then when there is a Challenge I would go to OP to keep practicing it. So it usually takes me some times to finish any painting. Then I have to give some attention to my DH by practicing dancing with him, that takes some time too.

Please keep showing your paintings, we all enjoy seeing your work. You are not flooding this forum yet. Don't be too sensitive. O.K.?

I really love your last version of "Coming Home". The bow of the boat is perfect. The sky is so pretty and the water is colorful reflecting the sky well. You are getting very good with seascape.

Sandi

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 16 Jan 2011 7:39 AM

Jen, the bow of the boat now lines up with the center bar of the cabin window.  Good improvement.  I like the wake behind the boat.  It gives a sense of speed.  The water on the bottom left isn't going downhill as much as it was.  The sky is still beautiful.  This is a super painting and one you can be proud of.  Sam/Sammy

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 9,315
halsart wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 11:03 AM

I have a secret to share with my friends here on the Challenge Chatter:

have another secret for my friends here in the oil gusher.
Deborah Secor, who has published pastel instruction books through the Northlight bookclub has a free Pastel Lansdscape instruction book to download on her blog. It is a full book (35 chapters) which I have downloaded but not yet read. There is no fee. http://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/

I met Deborah in the Gouache Corner and she suggested an artist Eric Tiemens to me. He paints very dramatic paintings in gouache.
http://www.virtualgouacheland.blogspot.com/
She also sent me an instructional video of his and wouldn't accept payment.

I'm in her debt.

The following painting was an effort to emulate the style of some of Eric's paintings:

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 9,315
halsart wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 11:28 AM

I have secret for my for my friends here on the Challenge Chatter.
Deborah Secor, who has published pastel instruction books through the Northlight bookclub has a free Pastel Lansdscape instruction book to download on her blog. It is a full book (35 chapters) which I have downloaded but not yet read. There is no fee. http://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/

I met Deborah in the Gouache Corner and she suggested an artist Eric Tiemens to me. He paints very dramatic paintings in gouache.
http://www.virtualgouacheland.blogspot.com/
She also sent me an instructional video of his and wouldn't accept payment.

I'm in her debt.

This is my attempt to paint in the style Eric uses on some of his paintings:

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2011 12:20 PM

Sandi: Thanks for your good words. I wasn't  being sensitive I just wanted to be resonable and not post too much if the group thought it was too much. I have weeks of doing one after the other and then I can get stuck and take ages on one. Jen

Sammy: Thanks to you too. I'll look it over again when I get back to the studio again as I think it needs one more tweek. Jen

Page 32 of 35 (525 items) « First ...  < Previous  30 31 32 33 34  Next >  ... Last » | RSS