Butterfly - Oil Pastels

This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 5:56 AM

I just completed this one last week.  It's approximately 8 x 10 on 140 lb watercolor paper prepped with about 3 coats of clear acrylic gesso.  The main underpainting is completed with Erengi OPs then highlighted and enhanced with Neopastels and Holbein OPs.  Tell me what you think - C & C welcome!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 10:52 AM

Hey Holly Good to see you here and posting your beautiful work

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 10:56 AM

Thanks, Fred!  Did you notice that the Challenge is up??

Holly

Holly

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
CTBarb wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 1:15 PM

Holly, this is lovely.  You have progressed wonderfully with oil pastels. The colors are glorious. Your drafting as always is spot on.   My only comment is that the relationship between the flower and the butterfly is confusing to me,  I think that I "read" that the flower face is toward me and that the butterfly is in between two petals or inside the anther with his head hidden?  If it is the anther, its placement seems too far from the stamens and maybe too big?   I don't mean to be critical, but it is such a good piece of work, that I hope to help you make it better.

Barbara 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 1:39 PM

Thanks, Barbara - I'll post my ref. photo - I have always said that me and my paintbrush (in this case, OP stick) do not play well together!  I get so-o-o lost in the "road map" of color change nuances, shadows, folds, etc., etc. when working on flowers!  Yes, the butterfly's head is between some petals or down in the flower with his head partially (mostly) hidden and, yes, I think the flower face is towards us.  There are also pieces of other flower petals from other adjacent blossoms - so, anthers (stamen? - been a long time since plant study in school!!!  LOL)  may be from other blossoms.  The original photo ref was much larger - I just cropped out this portion and rotated it.  It's colors are much more intense, too - - I am just too timid with color, I think.  I worked on this one so long that I have lost ALL of the tooth on the paper.  Thanks for your observations. 

Here's the ref. photo:

Holly

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 255
CTBarb wrote
on 26 Oct 2010 7:54 AM

Thanks Holly,  You have done a great job on the butterfly. Think I would cheat and bring his little head out front...Big Smile....Artist's license.  Remember never get too tied to your reference....Big Smile

Barbara

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 27 Oct 2010 6:37 AM

Ah, you "know" me too well, Barbara - I do get way too hung up in the reference photos, don't I ?!?!

Holly

Holly

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,280
Tom Perry wrote
on 28 Oct 2010 2:59 PM

Hi Holly,

Nice to see the oilies are working so well for you.  Hope to see a lot more of your work.  Smile

Tom

See my gallery and blog here:

http://community.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/profile/TomPerry

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 28 Oct 2010 7:00 PM

Thanks Tom!  The Neos and the Holbeins certainly helped perk up the Erengis!  I'm working on Challenge #1 up in the new All Media Photo Challenge forum now.

Holly

Holly

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 403
Points 6,565
Trusted Users
on 30 Oct 2010 4:18 AM

Lovely piece - nicely done. Oil pastels are a challenge too. Looking forward to seeing more of your workSmile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 4 Nov 2010 6:53 PM

THanks, Barbara - I've been so involved with the All Media Photo Challenge that I almost missed your comment.  Oil pastels are my medium of choice right now, but I have worked in oils, acrylics, water colours, and softie pastels as well.  I'm looking forward to retiring in 2 more years so I will actually have time for my art!  (Hopefully! Wink)

Holly

Holly

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 290
karaway wrote
on 13 Nov 2010 7:49 PM

This is beautiful! I will never tire of seeing reference photos and comparing them to the artist's rendition. I think you've done a spectacular job! The detail on the flower is stunning! I do agree with the poster who suggested using your artistic license to bring the butterfly's head out front!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 15 Nov 2010 3:53 AM

karaway - thanks so much for your comments!  I have never seen a butterfly's face "up close and personal"  Confused so I'm not sure I could even begin to expose it's head.  I thought I was ready to frame this one but after studying it over for several weeks, I think I need to go back in and deepen the values down in the middle of the flowers.  (THe only problem is that it has so-o-o many layers of OP on it already that I've lost the tooth of the paper and I'm sort of afraid to touch it anymore Surprise !)

Holly

Holly

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 290
karaway wrote
on 16 Nov 2010 9:35 AM

Well, I can't say I blame you on being a bit intimidated by the butterfly's head... I've never had the opportunity to study one up close and personal, either! :) I understand your desire to to change a few colors here and there, but I think it's stunning the way it is!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
kaylynn_2 wrote
on 5 Jun 2011 11:36 AM

this is a beautiful peice of work. ive just started working with pastels a few weeks ago its a learning process for me on this media lol. anyways love it

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS