Oil painting on paper

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
Laird33 wrote
on 15 Sep 2010 9:04 AM

I have completed several oil paintings on paper and wouuld like to mount/adhere them to more substantial grounds such as canvas or panels.  Does anyone know the best process to accomplish this?

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295
on 13 Nov 2010 7:43 PM

How thick is your paper?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 221
Points 4,000
Jay Babina wrote
on 16 Nov 2010 7:01 AM

Since it's on paper, you probably want to frame it under glass? If you brought it to a qualified framer, they would tape it to a backing so if it ever had to be removed it can be done easily. Then it would be framed under glass, probably with a matt. They would probably use an acid free backing board of some type.

But it your intentions is to leave it exposed and possibly framed, I would just use spray mount and adhere it to masonite (hardboard). Lightly spray both surfaces and press them together. I usually lightly sand masonite a bit first to get rid of any gloss. Cheapest place for spray mount is Wallmart in the crafts section.

The other poster asked about the thickness of the paper. I assume you gessoed the surface first before painting. Since masonite is brown you have to make sure your paper is thick enough for no show through or paint the backing board white.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 120
trumantesta wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 8:10 AM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Thank you very much Jay babina for sharing your knowledge with all forum members. As you say, I will also use spray mount and fix it to hardboard.spray on both surfaces and press them together. I will follow your instructions.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 215
on 24 Nov 2012 11:40 AM

Normally you should have done the other way around. 

I would not recommend to fix the painted paper on a rigid board either canvas or wood because both materials (paper and board) with the cold and warm temperatures will change their dimensions in a different way and the paper may crack. 

Just cover with glass and frame the paper, that will be nice and safer. 

Pedro 

Art-and-Supplies.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
emilytaylor wrote
on 25 Dec 2012 10:44 AM
Good sound !!!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 66
Points 925
ivo55 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 3:13 PM

Well, 

That is an interesting meter you bring to the forum. From point of view as a restorer the best way to do this is to stick it on a panel.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS