Canvas shrinkage

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Late Bloomer wrote
on 29 Sep 2009 6:37 PM

The back of a canvas got wet & shrank off the stretcher bar (splined). Is there a way to relax & restretch the canvas?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
annmiltiades wrote
on 17 Oct 2009 5:39 PM

hey!  same thing happened to me!  any help out there?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 20 Oct 2009 1:26 PM

Lets start with a little more information. . .

First, was there anything on the surface of the canvas?  Was it primed, painted at all?  If so, what was the treatment?

Second, what kind of canvas is it?  And, how large a frame?  Store bought or home-made?

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
annmiltiades wrote
on 20 Oct 2009 5:22 PM

the painting was finished--oil.  the floods came to ga. and the back was saturated with water on my way my into art class. now there is an inch of unpainted canvas on one side!  was not varnished-- canvas bought, stretched, large!  thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 21 Oct 2009 6:26 AM

You say the canvas was bought, was it bought already on the frame?  Or did you stretch it yourself?  Did you size it?  Did you prime it before painting?  If so, what did you use?

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
annmiltiades wrote
on 21 Oct 2009 6:48 AM

bought it stretched . had paint on it and gessoed over the paint.  cannot believe the canvas shrunk that much!  almost 3/4 of an inch.  do i rewet and try to stretch and staple the side or let a frame shop tackle it?  difficult to match the 3/4 inch with the same paint.  the painting is finished except for varnishing.  also need advice on correct way of spray varnishing--lay canvas down flat? how many coats? i tend to get gloss and flat areas/spots. more varnish doesn't fix.  do i use medium on dull spots or retouch varnish to even out gloss?  oh, large canvas!

thanks so much for help!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 21 Oct 2009 8:04 AM

Lets tackle one thing at a time

When you say you bought it stretched and it had paint on it. . . what do you mean?  Did it have another painting on it, or just the manufacturer's primer?

Do you know if the canvas was cotton or linen?

Did the painting crack at all when it pulled off the bars?

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS