Desert Wash

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 154
Points 6,140
WFMartin wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 10:05 PM

This is a 16" x 20" oil painting on canvas.  I used this painting as a demonstration for my oil painting class that I teach at a local recreation center.  I furnish each student with  the same, 8" x 10", reference photo, and they paint along with me, as I explain the operations as I perform them.

Here is my painting:

"Desert Wash"...16" x 20" oil on canvas

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
on 7 Nov 2014 4:23 PM

This is absolutely beautiful!  When I 1st opened it, I thought it was a photograph.  I love the contrast of darks and lights.  It gives it depth.  My only suggestion would be to make the farthest mountain in the background not so detailed.  Kind of blend it into the background so that the edges are not so severe.  I really do love it!  I have been in the Southwest many times and I feel as though I am there in this painting.   The composition is interesting as the road draws my eye down the dessert road toward the mountain. Great work!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60
asimpson123 wrote
on 18 Nov 2014 9:47 PM

Really beautiful painting.  Having spent a bit of time in the desert, you nailed the cacti.  The colors, the road, the greenery are all well done.  The focus point seems unclear - is it the foreground or the furthest mountain?  Otherwise, a great painting to look at. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS