Logo Design for Illustration and Videography Business

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
slynch1 wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 12:11 PM

Looking for feedback on a logo design for an Illustration and Videography business

Logo: Origami Hummingbird

Is it apparent what the logo is supposed to be?

What are your initial thoughts of this logo?

Still need to work on text...left out name of business.

JPEG Image does not represent the best quality.

Thanks!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,000
on 21 Aug 2014 12:52 PM

Slynch—

You mentioned that the name of the business has been left out. What ever it is, the name should be an integral part of your total signature. The name may justify the use of an origami hummingbird. However, I am not sure how this relates to your business. As an isolated design it is not an obvious symbol for the practice of "videography / illustration". Keep in mind that even an abstract design can work as a logo with enough exposure. However it takes a lot of exposure to establish a visual relationship between a design and a business. Make the design distinctive enough and it may still work. I'm sure you are familiar with some of the bizarre logos used by art studios.

You asked if it was apparent what the logo was supposed to be. I think it is obvious that it is a hummingbird. The origami concept may be lost because the fold effect may be taken as part of the stylization of the bird.

Here's something to keep in mind when designing a logo: Design it in solid black—even though you may eventually print it in a second color.  This means that your design will be simpler and have more impact—and will be easier to recall. When you make your design roughs work in pencil. Pick out the ones that work and refine them with a black sharpie. Stay away from the computer until you have several black sharpie roughs—then work in Illustrator or some other point oriented application.

Through my career, I have designed hundreds of logos professionally for everything from steel companies and hospitals to government defense projects. The best advise I can give you is keep it simple.

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
slynch1 wrote
on 3 Sep 2014 10:15 AM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for providing this extensive feedback. These tips will definitely help us to create a better logo. The hummingbird was my first real attempt at a logo and feedback.

We are currently working through new ideas. It is challenging to think of logo ideas that will represent both videography and illustration....I suppose we are going more after "creativity" and "collaboration"....more branding as a publisher rather than two distinct videographers and illustrators.

We still have a lot of time left for planning and I'll definitely use this site again for feedback.

Hope you have a great week!

Shea

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,000
on 3 Sep 2014 10:36 AM

Shea—

When you have a group of pencil or "Sharpie" roughs, I'll be happy to offer my thoughts. You are right, logos are very challenging.

I think your thoughts on the general direction of your design are good. Keep in mind that your logo does not have to somehow explain what you do. The design can work off of the name of the company. Think of airline logos. Some refer to flight and some are beautiful designs based on initials.

Have fun. Make a lot of roughs. If you are interested in my thoughts on your roughs, just let me know.

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
slynch1 wrote
on 3 Sep 2014 11:43 AM

Thank you Paul, we will continue work on ideas and I will definitely reach out to you for feedback.

Shea

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS