Beginner drawing

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
fortuna86 wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 1:55 PM

Hi everyone,

After years of thinking of how I would want to able to make drawings, I've finally picked up some pencils and actually made a drawing.

Here's what I made. What do I want to know:

1) What can I do better?

2) How can I do that? (techniques, tips, ...) 

Thanks guys!

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
giospro wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 6:58 PM

I would start to learn the basic figure drawing, learn how to draw thru your drawings to 3/4 views (2D) with circle/cylinders etc. to get started, it will make your draw more round instead of flat, there are many books on figure drawings, I would chose the ones that you like better at your level, most people on a lot of these art forums seem you give the beginners advance books in stead of learning the basic tools to learn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 584
Points 5,050
on 16 Aug 2014 1:21 PM

Fortuna—

After thinking it would be nice to be able to draw, you decided to do something about it and made a drawing. You deserve a lot of credit! Taking a first step is never easy but you did it and your drawing is very good for a first effort.

Drawing is something that is a life-long learning process. Most of this learning is done by drawing as often as you can. I repeat this over and over because I know personally how true it is—"You learn to draw by drawing." There are basic principles of drawing that can be taught through books and videos. However, much of drawing is a skill. Like any fine skill it learned and sharpened through practice. With every drawing you improve the physical coordination between your sight, your mind and your hand.  It can become something wonderful. It can be a way for you to express your feelings about the word around you.

All this takes work and devotion but the wonderful thing is that it is fun. So, you have stared the journey. The rest is up to you.

Have fun—
Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
fortuna86 wrote
on 16 Aug 2014 3:11 PM

Thanks guys!

Here's today's attempt (credits to a helpful youtube video)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90
studyart9 wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 6:33 AM

Well, its an amazing art sample. You have done great art work.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 45
melainek wrote
on 10 Sep 2014 8:24 AM

Beautiful job. What caught my eye, tho, was the space between eye and eyebrow. Maybe just a little too much. But really nice job.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS