Beginner acrylic Skull painting.. would appreciate critiques/advice

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 640
Ali22656 wrote
on 13 Aug 2014 5:10 PM

Hello,

I am new to acrylic, and painting in general. I have been doing a study on skulls, mostly drawing and decided to try this and am a little stuck and it's seeming lackluster. I have a hard time getting constructive information when it comes to the things I try to do, as most of what I get is "i think it looks good" and not much suggestion on how to better something.. and thus I am feeling stuck and was hoping some of you who know a thing or two would take a moment to give some feedback. it is unfinished yet, but there's something about it that has me at a stand still and I dont know what it is.

I appreciate your time :)

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 200
mural wrote
on 21 Sep 2014 10:18 AM

Looks great!  Brilliant details!

I used to draw a lot of  skulls.

I think the inside of the nose should be as dark as the background . To get more volume and deepness, the  eyes should be darker too,  Is that acrylic on paper or canvas and what size?

Do you have  more works like this one?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 100
studyart9 wrote
on 6 Oct 2014 4:28 AM

As you are a beginner, it is looking great. If you go for fine arts course or any other art form you have to know fundamental things about acrylic painting. In acrylic painting, always use thin paints , I think in the left side of skull eye you has used heavy and hard paint. I also agree with Mural and rest is looking great.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
on 9 Oct 2014 11:59 AM

it looks like a photograph which shows you possess great skill.  As someone else commented the eyes and nose need to be darker to gain more perspective of background and foreground within the face.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 640
Ali22656 wrote
on 9 Oct 2014 12:56 PM

Thank you all for your feedback! I've been able to finish it and am happier with the result. I wish I could have gotten more depth to the eyes but I struggles with either 2 dar or 2 light, so I  got it to a point where it didn't look terrible and kept it at that. I do have a hard time watering down acrylic for some reason so I seem to paint thicker than most. Never took any classes on fundamentals so I have just been making it up as I go. I lightened up the background some, adding red to help deepen the nose as suggested, I think the angle and lighting of the original picture also made it seem lighter than it was. Learned a lot with this one, I was trying to achieve a dramatic lighting change but struggled a bit but overall I am happy with it. In response to the size this is a 16x20 on canvas paper. Here's my finished piece.. thank all for the responses I appreciate it

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 200
mural wrote
on 10 Oct 2014 9:45 AM

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 200
mural wrote
on 10 Oct 2014 9:54 AM

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 200
mural wrote
on 10 Oct 2014 9:58 AM

Don't worry about thickness. Actually people love paintings with texture. Too smooth surface looks like a print.

" I lightened up the background some, adding red to help deepen the nose as suggested"
Yes, that works,  but you shouldn't have to.
The background should be deep because it is background.
Red brings it closer and weak.
I would suggest  blue into the nose and eyes

Cold blue into the black makes black looks darker and strong.

Here is an example about how powerful the blue on black is:

The whole element looks stronger then the other which doesn't have blue. http://www.artyou.com/item/1006

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 145
on 12 Oct 2014 2:16 PM

I think it looks great, plenty of detail and I like how theres not much colour on it, however the little bit of red does brighten it up a bit. Great job. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS