Need advice on eyes

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
on 7 Aug 2014 6:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

First post. Having a hard time with this painting of my parents (I have a BFA but am not a professional artist. Just do it for fun.) I would really like to fix this painting so that my father's eyes are looking at the viewer. I have repainted several times with no success. In the original source material he was looking to the left. I need a fresh pair of eyes (pun completely intended) to guide me to make adjustments to the pupils. 

Thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 5,870
on 8 Aug 2014 3:05 PM

You are working with acrylics, so you can play around with this.  If I were working on this, on both eyes I would take out the highlight and colour in the eye with the eye colour and the dark centre of the eye - then I would try a tiny dot of white right on the top edge of the dark, sort of centred but toward his right ear side, you should still see the colour of the iris, and do the same with the left eye, centred but toward his nose - much like your mother's left eye.  Then try a tiny smudge of white from the dark edge, diagonal to the top dot, and to the outer edge of the iris.  You can darken this white with iris colour a bit if it's too stark. If it does nothing for you, you could make it a dot by colouring in the iris.   Now with the left - you could try a very as in VERY tiny dot on the edge between the dark and the iris, (on the diagonal to the top highlight - centred but toward the ear) should you smudge this, I don't know  - you could try, and if it doesn't work, colour the iris in again leaving a dot.  I would darken your mothers highlight on her right eye a little bit to resemble the highlight on her left eye.  You could try putting a small dot of white on the whites on the eyes next to the iris.  Also, because the eye is moist, you could try very, very small highlight on the eyelids right under the iris at the bottom of the eye, but be careful with this, you want just a subtle glistening.  You might try googling eyes and look at some pictures of eyes and notice the highlights on eyes that are facing you.  Wishing you well on your project.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
on 8 Aug 2014 7:51 PM

Thank you! I will definitely try this out tonight. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
on 8 Aug 2014 7:51 PM

Thank you! I will definitely try this out tonight. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Laurelzz wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 8:10 AM

Hi Lindsey, Did you achieve what you wanted yet? I'm new to this forum, so just found your question. In the photo you submitted, the eye on the viewer's right is looking at us, but the one on the left is crossing it a little. When the subject is facing forward, the irises should be the same size, and the white shapes on both sides should be the same shape and size. In the photo, there is more white to the left of the eye on the left, than there is next to the eye on the right.

Beyond the eyes: you did very nice modeling of the forms of your dad's forehead, cheeks and lips. I don't see modeling on his 'muzzle' below the lower lip. Also your mom's face needs more modeling/shading. 

Nice job!

Laurel Sternberg http://www.laurelpaintings.com/

Laurel Sternberg

http://www.laurelpaintings.com

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 660
Ali22656 wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 11:52 AM

This looks nice! It seems as though your father "feels" to be looking away due to the darker coloring around the right iris, not present on the left, so it's making it seem as though it's looking further to the right than the other eye? Also it may help if the highlight was moved from the center of the pupil and a tad further off the pupil just bit, it might help it seem more like he is looking directly at the viewer.. awesome highlights and shadowing in the top half of the face, but I agree with previous comment, you may want to add more contouring etc to the bottom portion of the face/ beard area. Experimenting with facial hair, I've experienced adding highlights to the hair in the areas you want to "pop" out, like the chin, helps but hair has always been tough for me. Great job though it is looking good.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS