ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 45 - AUGUST 2014

This post has 169 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 678
Points 11,025
karend84 wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 1:08 PM

Thank you Kicker and Geri for the nice comments.

Kicker this was based on a photo taken by my Dad in early June.  It was a very cloudy day.  My parents went back to falls for their 60th anniversary.  They honeymooned there in 54.  I will frame this for them.

Geri that is so funny.  Bob wanted me to put in Godzilla taking the ALS bucket challenge Stick out tongue

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 6:03 PM

Karen, well done on Niagara Falls!  I can tell where this is ~ SUCCESS. Star Your parents are going to love it.

Jen, did you read Courtney's daily post today about selling your art?  She said it better than I can. 

Well, only three days left of August!  Time flies when you're having fun!Cool

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 10:58 PM

Kicker  Thanks for the advice. Yes getting out there and actually doing it is the key. I have entered some of the local art shows but not had any takers here and when I was in Georgia. I have got burned out from the expense of framing and such. Not at all sure I want to get on ebay. I am not that confident and wary of online stuff. so here I sit STILL.

Nealey, I will look at what Courtney says thanks. The selling yourself and promotion stuff is where a lot of artists come unstuck. I may try some of the local shows again and a guy was asking if we wanted to show stuff in his consignment store. Not sure that will be worth it either.

Karen, Beautiful! Your parents will love it as you have captured the falls so well.

Well I finished Curly 2 and then slapped paint around and did a very bad painting of the sunflowers! It may be salvageable when I go to the studio next or I may bin it!! I needs more contrast I think or dynamite might do it!! So in the spirit of......!

12x16 oil

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,521
Points 24,405
Berkenstock wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 11:37 PM

Jen I like the sunflowers the way they are.  Nice free and flowing and good composition.  It is a little darker than you normally paint but I think it works well.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 2:58 AM

Hello Jen....must say I like the sunflowers too just the way they are...unsophisticated plant so this rapid technique suits them!

I can only add beware of copyright if you are selling...unless you have had permission from the photographer in writing  (that proviso you well know of course!) just promote original work.

Karen... The Falls has ended up very wet...would please anyone! :-)

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 9:34 AM

Jen , Curly Two Turned out well.  I think his eyes just sparkle!  I agree with Sarah on the Sunflower oil.  I like the loose paint strokes too and I would call this DONE and NOT IN THE TRASH!!!  I have two friends who tried to sell arty things on EBay and had no luck.  I wouldn't bother.  To get yourself "out there" I would talk to your local libraries.  They are generally very supportive about showing local art for a set period of time.  Also, local restaurants are a great place to have your art hung, IF you think the venue is interested in promoting you and they will hang in prominent spots with good lighting.  If you have a fav restaurant that you frequent, it wouldn't hurt to ask them! 

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 12:13 PM

Gerri, Sarah, and Nealey, thank you for the positive comments, but I really must do something with the sunflowers. They look drab and sad and sunflowers are bright and happy. 

Has anyone heard from Bonnie? I have tried to contact her as she is scheduled to host for September.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 30 Aug 2014 2:52 AM

Hello Jen,

agree with Nealey re. 'selling'...my first sale was a landscape which was hung in a local pub!!!

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Aug 2014 9:19 AM

WIP of Old South Home - PMP by Vikki Wooley

I see all sorts of problems with this, lol!  The whole building leans & I should have done more drawing first.  WC is def not my forte.  All constructive criticism would be appreciated, including 'BIN IT' as Jen would say.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Aug 2014 12:28 PM

Hello Kicker,

I have noticed that you repeat the painting when you c/c.........no need to do that just mention the name of the artist  or painting ref.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Aug 2014 12:40 PM

Hello Nealey...no need to bin it! Fresh use of w/colour.

Make the foreground tones much stronger if you want to make the building the main point of interest (YELLOW always  pushes things forward) . If you have white areas it always a good idea to use as much dark tones to balance it out  . The trees need to be bolder but just as loose.in technique.

Try it out on a print on thick paper

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 3:40 AM

Hello Nealey,

I did c/c your building painting yesterday but it hasn't appeared. Sorry about that. Apart from making the foreground stronger I think it is fine as it is. Lovely loose, fresh colour.

Hello Kicker,

NO, I wasn't having a rough day.....how you came to that conclusion I don't know.. As you are a newbie  I was only trying to point out that you only needed to say, like the rest of us do, who the artist was and what the c/c referred to.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 6:18 AM

Not quite NIagra falls but a smaller one in full spate!

Water colour, heavy HP paper approx. A4

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 8:54 AM

Good morning Sarah!  I DID get your c/c on my wc WIP.  You posted it in my personal messages.  Thank you so much for your help!  I will do a tonal sketch first the next time.  That is  a very helpful suggestion and I think it will help.

Good WC of the "small falls" and Your use of the white paper for highlight is what I am striving for.  I will plug on.....

Welcome, September!  Thank you to everyone for participating in the August challenge.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 969
Points 21,255
Hearadh wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 1:16 PM

Hello Nealey,

just a quick note to thank you for hosting the August Challenge. As usual, very Challenging and enjoyable.

Sarah

Page 10 of 12 (170 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next > | RSS