ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 45 - AUGUST 2014

This post has 168 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Aug 2014 10:58 PM

Kicker, welcome to the group. This is a nice sunny painting of the farm store. You have a lot in a small painting. Nicely done. I hope you will Join in again.

Karen, this painting of the Falls looks to be another winner. Great job so far.

Gerri, Sarah and Karen, thanks for the nice comments on my sketches.

I worked some more on my Grandson's portrait today. I scraped off the first lot and am better pleased with the second go. A long way to go yet. I did move his chin over a bit. Early days yet just getting in shapes and light and darks.

10x10 oil

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 10:03 AM

Thank you all for the critique of my wc.  I'm glad you pointed out how the big tree cuts the scene in half.  I didn't see that.  I don't do landscapes so there is probably a lot I need to learn.

Jen ~ Your WIP oil paintings of your grandson is coming along nicely.  And thanks for being so prolific this month!  I'd hate to see this site die out too.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 10:09 AM

Hello Kicker and welcome to our group!!!  Your painting of the old farm is great!  This scene is around the block (a country block!) from my home.  I have always wanted to draw this, but never get around to it!  Thank you for sharing and I hope you keep contributing.Cool

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 10:13 AM

Berkenstock:

Kicker welcome aboard.  It will be nice to have another MALE to hold up our side.

Nice little oil too.

Geri, you might want to be careful assuming Kicker is a male ~ remember what happened last time!!!!ROFL

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 10:25 AM

Karen ~ I like how your Acrylic of Niagara Falls is coming along!  I know this is a WIP, but I'm not seeing the massive spray & mist - the force of the water.  The 3 combined Falls here have the largest flow rate in the world!

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 711
Points 11,635
karend84 wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 11:07 AM

Jen your grandsons portrait is coming along nicely.  Check his left ear (viewers right).  To me it looks a little low.

Thanks for the comments on the falls. Nealy thanks for the comment on the power of the water and mist.  I used a photo my parents took when they were there a few months ago.  First time doing a waterfall.  I added some layers to the mist.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,340
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 1:31 PM

Hello  Kicker,

welcome to the group...hope you keep posting.

Karen....at first glance I thought the white water was snow! Is it finished now? Thanks for your c/c's of my work. I had hoped to paint but I have had three electrical appliances die on me in the past week and  it has been frustrating to replace them.

Geri...I know you feel a little lonely on this Forum but is it just a gender thing  or choice of subject matter to c/c ?    

Jen.......portrait  coming along nicely ...ear still not quite right

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Aug 2014 5:21 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes his ear and other bits still need work just getting things started but hopefully I will get him right. I find it harder with oils as I can get details and subtle changes better with pastels so this is a good learning curve for me.

Kicker, Gerri is a fun guy who just likes to have another guy on the team as he is vastly out numbered by women. Nothing sinister. :) 

Karen, I think you are getting the mist well and I know you will get the power of the ever flowing water too. Look forward to seeing how! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,340
Hearadh wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 3:03 PM

this is my version of the PMP ref. photo by Jim Humphreys. Changed it a little.

Water colour, heavy Bockingford         original painting is 4.5 x 3.5 inches

The orange has scanned a little bit too red and the dark red in the background left facing hasn't  scanned strong enough.!!!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 6:47 PM

Sarah, you did well on such a small sized canvas, the lemon looks very real and the pot has good dimension too. It is a shame the scan is off and the rest looks great too. Some colours just scan better than others.

Well today I made more progress with my grandson, Curly's bother who is now curly two!

Still some issues, the red is showing more than it is but some fairly close likeness.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 7:02 PM

Karen, I'm seeing the movement and the mist now!  This is going to be nice!

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 7:07 PM

Hello Kicker!  Thanks for your comment on my wc "lakescape".  I am leaving it as is, and IT IS ALREADY SOLD!!! 

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 7:17 PM

Sarah ~ That's truly awful that three appliances went on the blink at once.  They say bad luck goes in threes.....   Your still life wc has some good parts to it, tho I think the lemon is more developed than the orange.  Your background is good too.  You have some interesting patterns and colors that catch my eye - so much nicer than a flat grey wash.  I know that the originals always look better than the scan - we just have to deal with that, I guess.

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 7:27 PM

Jen, this oil of "Curly 2" is coming along.  I see now that his face isn't quite a full forward view(?) so maybe you should measure the distances between the outer eye and face edge on both sides?  It may be correct - sometimes photos lie!!!

Boy, I sure see the resemblance to you, esp. in the mouth area.  Success!!!!! Yes

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 11:10 PM

Thanks Nealey his Mum likes it so I must be close.

Congratulations on the sale, that is such encouraging news. How do you go about selling a painting? I just stick mine on the wall at the studio or give them to my children! 

Page 8 of 12 (169 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS