ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 45 - AUGUST 2014

This post has 168 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 5:10 AM

Gerri, he is eight. So a little tall in the drawing. Just a little off or his head is too small! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 7:25 PM

Sarah, Bonnie and Jen ~  Thanks for your comments on my last sketch.  Other than some small tweaks (the lips & hair) I think it is done.  Thanks for helping me to decide!!  I don't want to lose the freshness either.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 7:35 PM

Jen I think this is an effective scene.  Did you do this from a photo or on the scene?  You captured his action well.  He may have been foreshortened a bit  if your view was above him.....

Have a happy weekend with the grands and hope your hubby is doing well!

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Aug 2014 3:22 AM

I asked Jen if I could include her gnomes in a composition which was also partly inspired by the sunflowers ref. photo. It is 8" x 6.5", acrylics. Jen has seen it beforehand.

The unfired gnomes made me think of milk chocolate and the sunflowers the sun of course hence the title....Sunflower fairy pointing to a meltdown!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 18 Aug 2014 5:20 PM

Sarah I am re-posting your message to me here.  I was under the impression that PMP gallery photos were free for us to use.

Hello Nealey,

a query about PMP photos...did you get permission for us to use the photos because I understood that one had to give due acknowledgement to the photographer. I ask because I would like to use one of them..

regards,

Sarah

If anyone knows, please post here.  The portrait that I sketched, I did also post on PMP site & thanked the photographer.  If I should label each PMP photo I posted with the photographer's name, please tell me.  I'm not clear on this......

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 18 Aug 2014 5:25 PM

Sarah, this is a very different approach for you, I think, very whimsical!!  Did you paint Jen's gnomes, or are they cut from her photo?  Your sunflower fairy is lovely!  And yes, the gnomes do look like chocolate!

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Aug 2014 10:31 PM

Sarah, as I said I love the way you have incorporated my gnomes into your painting. They don't seem to take the fairy's warning too seriously. I have often thought the freshly made creatures look like chocolate so it makes sense. Great job with the fairy and flowers and another story book cover in the making! 

Nealey,

With regard to proper sighting of reference photos. PMP does ask members to sight the photos maker when showing paintings made from them on their site. When I have used wet Canvas photos I have tried to site the origional contributor it is important because the photographer owns the copyrite to the photograph but allows people to use and sell paintings made from the photograph. I should imagine this is how PMP RULES TOO.  Perhaps you can go back and find who made the photograph. Perhaps Sammy who is and active contributor could help answer that. Hope this helps. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 3:06 AM

Hello Nealey,

thanks for the c/c...I used the print of the gnomes, tore them out, and painted around them. Difficult to get the perspective/shadows right but I did my best.

I asked about PMP because as a member (although not posted there for a very long time) I was recently sent a long directive about the need to always acknowledge the photographer.

Hope this hasn't caused you a lot of trouble. Not my intention.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 3:16 AM

Hello Jen,

if I could I would store the choc. gnomes in my yet to be delivered new fridge/freezer!

Pleased you liked what I 'made' of them.

As for PMP it is a golden rule that you do give credit to the photographer....especially as the very long directive recently sent to all PMP members makes it clear. Maybe Sam just pointed Nealey in that direction as a source without mentioning the 'rule'.

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 11:15 AM

Jen & Sarah ~ thanks for responding so quickly.  I had a hard time sleeping I was so upset with my faux pas.  I am a recent member of PMP also and I should have known better....  I have the names of the photographers and will try to edit the post.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 11:55 AM

Hello Nealey, as my mother would have said  'dinna fash yerself lassie' (don't worry about it)

I don't think anyone has even tried to use a PMP photo yet so forget about beating yourself up!!!. I don't envy you finding the 'photos again..

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 645
Points 10,380
NealeyPea wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 12:09 PM

Sarah, thanks for replying....I've already cited the photos - got up late last night & re-found them.  I'm hoping to finish a wc today, so I need to be calm!!

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 5:07 PM

Nealey, I hope you have calmed down by now. I am sure you are not the only one to make this mistake and you have corrected it. There are many people who don't care and just take so you did the right thing. Please breathe again! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 19 Aug 2014 8:37 PM

Jen, always enjoy your sketches. You are very courageous to tackle this one. I think he would look a little long because he is propped up on his knee. He does look like he's having a good time.

Sarah, what a fanciful painting. Love the sunflower hat and skirt with the wonderful sunny colour. Very imaginative idea to combine Jen's gnomes.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 22,355
Hearadh wrote
on 20 Aug 2014 2:49 AM

Thanks Bonnie, I enjoyed the Challenge even though I don't like milk chocolate!

Sarah

Page 6 of 12 (169 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS