ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 45 - AUGUST 2014

This post has 166 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,310
Hearadh wrote
on 11 Aug 2014 3:25 AM

Thanks Nealey,

there was a sunset similar to the ref.photo overhead last night (Hurricane Bertha's final fling).

Looking in the mirror at our work simply shows us how OTHERS would see it !.

Suzy...forgot to welcome you in my haste, I don't spend much time on the PC.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 984
Points 14,330
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 11 Aug 2014 7:38 AM

Jen, sunny gnome is so cute. Having his head tilted up is a good idea to get his hat with the end in there. (I don't think that could have been easy to do) Also like his rounded tummy with the buckle. Great pose.

Sarah, what a creative take on the reference photo with your swift sunset. You have really captured the birds in their flight. And yes the sunset is turbulent but has lots of nice colour.

Suzy, welcome to the forum.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,790
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Aug 2014 12:54 PM

Nealey and Bonnie, thanks for the kind comments on my latest gnome. I guess I should start naming them! Yes, getting the pose right is tricky and I have my fellow artists holding arms and legs in poses for me . They are usually fairly co-operative and tolerant with me!! :)

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,790
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Aug 2014 11:40 PM

Today I finished up the gnome and did a quick sketch of the horse and rider with charcoal pencil in my sketchbook some issues with legs and tail. I may try and paint it. Horses are not my thing but I am getting quicker! :) No need to comment again on the gnomes but I thought you would like to see them drying out together!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 532
Points 8,330
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Aug 2014 10:54 AM

Good morning Jen!  I'm happy you tried the horse & rider.  Your sketch shows the  mass of the horse well. The neck and legs are especially graphic.  Your gnomes are precious, so carefree and happy!  Looks like they're sharing a secret and chuckling.  (One says to the other, "Hey did you see me when I was nekkid?" )

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 13 Aug 2014 7:46 PM

Well I said I would post something this month.  This is summery I guess so it fits the  challenge.  Its not the greatest I looked at it toooo long (3 weeks).  It is a WC on cold pressed Fabreano.12 X 18  

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 532
Points 8,330
NealeyPea wrote
on 13 Aug 2014 8:08 PM

Geri, great to see you posting again!  Nice gourd!  Did you paint this from your garden?  You got many shades of green in there.  You are doing better with watercolors than me.  I have trashed 2 in the last two days .Sad

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 532
Points 8,330
NealeyPea wrote
on 13 Aug 2014 8:28 PM

I did this sketch yesterday with the water soluble graphite pencil.  I haven't used any brush work yet.  I THINK this is a WIP, but I kind of like the way it looks now.  Try to disregard the grey around edges - mydrawing pad is larger then my scanner.  I will crop some, maybe..

9 x 12 GIRL WITH HAT on multi media paper

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,310
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 2:47 AM

Hello Geri,

good to see you painting again...nice and loose summery effect. Particularly like the coils of tendrils.

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 919
Points 20,310
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 2:52 AM

Hello Nealey,

I would leave this alone except for maybe looking again at the lips...too dark on the right facing.  Brush work may make her look older?

Sarah

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 12:12 PM

Thanks for the comments.  I was not very happy with the outcome of this last painting.  I just could not make it pop.  The gourd unfortunately isn't mine.  We do not have enough sun to grow much of anything at our house too many trees.  The tendrils I could not get right either.  There ok but that's about all you can say about them.  Thanks again for the kind words.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 984
Points 14,330
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 10:32 PM

Jen, good sketch of the powerful horse. As Nealey commented you did well with his mass. I love your gnomes together and you did such good work on their little toes.

Geri, so nice to see your work again. I also like the tendrils, gives the piece a little bit of fantasy as a garden has. I imagine they would be difficult to do. Great colours.

Nealey, another lovely portrait. The light and airy characteristic is very appealing.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,790
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 12:18 AM

Thanks Nealey and Bonnie I did another sketch today but did not download it yet. Only sketching at the moment as I am off to see the grands again but just for the weekend.

Gerri, so good to see your work here again. You did a great job with the gourd and it stands out well.

Nealey another beautiful sketch. I think she is done too, you have said enough and captured her well.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,790
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 12:52 AM

Well here is another sketch done with charcoal pencil in my sketch book. It is if my Grandson while at the Famers Market. There were a group of players playing an assortment of drums and they had another assortment on a mat for the children to play. The boy is a fair drummer. HE IS A LITTLE LONG BUT I THINK I HAVE ALMOST GOT HIS LAID BACK POSE IF NOT HIS AGE, Sorry about the caps but I put Jinx to bed and the lights are out so he wont know I am up. He was being quite naughty!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 1:08 AM

Turps245:
HE IS A LITTLE LONG BUT I THINK I HAVE ALMOST GOT HIS LAID BACK POSE IF NOT HIS AGE,

TALL FOR 10 ISN'T HE. ;)

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 5 of 12 (167 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS