ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 45 - AUGUST 2014

This post has 168 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 9:17 AM

Hello Nealey and Jen...thank you for your comments........Jen I think you would write a better story than me.

When I was a pupil our English teacher taught us poetry..we had to write out the poem in a notebook on lined paper and on the facing plain paper draw an illustration.

re. the when is it finished ?  when I think I have finished I look at it in the mirror. If I can't see anything which looks awful I leave it alone.   Having said that I discovered after uploading a painting (few years ago on another forum) of a deer that it had one very thick hind leg. NO ONE noticed but later on I lifted the colour to show two legs.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 2,370
Suzy Way wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 11:45 AM

Yes Alex, photos through the process are very useful. I use that a lot with my students to show them because they cannot remember or believe why I said, "looks good, now leave it alone" and of course, they don't.  Then there's the photo to refer to for the doubters.  Love my ipad for that!

Suzanne Gaudette Way aka Suzy Way

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 2,370
Suzy Way wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 11:50 AM

New to this site and forgot to change avatar.  

Suzanne Gaudette Way aka Suzy Way

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 1:27 PM

Jen, you have such a great imagination and I love your sun bathing gnomes. Great fun pieces.

Nealey, I agree with Geri, WOW. Your portrait is beautiful. You are getting better and better with portraits. A nice soft effect, it was so good you tried this technique.

Sarah, great view from your daughters garden. At first I felt the pot was overwhelming in the sketch but actually the dark area under the bridge draws your eye and then the curve of the bridge brings it back around to the pot again. Lovely sketch.

Sarah, also love the atmosphere you have captured in your painting of the stone moon rabbit. You are always very good with capturing the atmosphere in your paintings. We are to have a very big full moon tomorrow night. It is to be especially close to the earth. I should find something that would look good to have the moon come up behind and take some pictures.

Nealey, lots of comments on when your painting is finished. I always have a hard time finishing things when it looks good. I don't want to do anything more that might ruin it. I have paintings with no backgrounds because I'm afraid of trying something. Alex, your suggestion about taking photos as you progress is good. Often when I take a picture to post, I would see things I could improve on. You would also be able to compare when you thought it looked the best.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 3:24 PM

Hello Suzy,

I was interested in your (and Alex's) method of recording work in progress. I understand the point although I, as a teacher, wouldn't go along that path. I am curious to know if it applies only to the painting phase of the work?

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 3:27 PM

Hello Bonnie,

thanks for your kind c/c's of my work...much appreciated.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 10:56 PM

Suzy, welcome to the group. I hope you will join in our challenge and have fun with us.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Aug 2014 11:00 PM

Well I got back to work on sunny gnome two and am just about finished bar a bit more clean up. His arms are still a bit weird but they had dried a lot despite being well dampened so I hope they will hold together. Gerri I dressed him so no more naked gnomes! He is about six inches long.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 10:15 AM

You could entitle this A SWIFT Sunset.......typical scene over the village during the summer; changed the ref.sky a bit  because we have had storms/thunder and lightning plus three inches of rain today and I seem to have made the sky more turbulent as a consequence.!!!!!

Original is 6" x 3.5" on heavy Bockingford;paper,  watercolour/tempera

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 10:35 AM

Hello Jen, sorry didn't mean to ignore your gnomes too preoccupied with all the rain...almost flooded out and I live at the top of a hill!

Anyway, very flexible little chap and will fit in well with all the others.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 1:17 PM

Sarah, it seems the British weather has got even more erratic lately. Hot Summer weather and then over the top rain. Hope you all keep dry indoors. We have had a quite good Summer with no 100 degree weather and rain on and off throughout. We are all still green and it is August! The only complaint I hear is that the grass needs cutting all the time! As I don't have to cut it I am not complaining. I will take the cooler weather happily. Thanks for the comment on my latest gnome.

Your painting shows a bit of the turbulence in the sky but it is lovely with the Swifts circling in it. Very nice.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Points 21,815
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 2:30 PM

Thanks Jen,

we are catching the tail end of Hurricane Bertha...very strong winds now and cold. More rain to come.

Sarah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 10,050
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 6:16 PM

Suzy, welcome to our group!!  Hope you can post some of your art  also.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 10,050
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 6:27 PM

Bonnie hello!  Your comment on my portrait is very kind ~ thank you!  I miss your art and maybe you will get to do some this month?

There's many good comments on when art is done.  I know that when I upload to my computer, THAT IS WHEN all the mistakes glare at me.  I also always use Sarah's technique of looking at it through a mirror.  It's amazing how many perspective problems and just downright WRONG SEEING shows up.

Nealey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 10,050
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Aug 2014 6:34 PM

Jen ~ Your "sunny gnome" is coming along!  I see you bowed to peer pressure & clothed him!  <smirk>  Your comment on not remembering what you  had learned made me laugh!  I've had those moments too.

Sarah I like your "Swift Sunset" and the addition of the swifts made it  more interesting!  The stormy clouds are exceptional.

Nealey

Page 4 of 12 (169 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS