faith678 wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 10:41 AM

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 5,305
on 28 Jul 2014 12:39 PM

Faith—

You are doing some things very well. I think you have a lot of talent.

However, if you want some helpful comments, it is best to give us a little more information. What is the size of this drawing? Is this drawn from a photo? Have you been drawing very long? What do you hope to do with your talent? Have you had any training in the past? More information can be a big help in offering suggestions.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 5,305
on 29 Jul 2014 1:38 PM

Faith—

Correct me if I am wrong. I think I recognize your work. Did you post a pencil portrait of a young girl not long ago? I have tried to find that work in the forums directory and have not been able to do so.

Just a few quick comments: Your drawing of the features of the face are very good. The problem here is the head structure itself—its shape—in relation to the features. However, you are doing real well. I have probably mentioned this before but try to get used to sketching the head from various angles. Head on views can be a problem for a number of reasons.

At this stage, try three quarter views. Also try to take you own photos to work from. When you have a friend pose for you, take several shots from various angles and lighting. Try using a strong light from one side with soft reflected light from the other side. The light and shadows help to define the form. I have given this same advise several times lately. However, flat lighting can be just that much more difficult to draw. Think of each drawing as a step closer to being the artist you want to be.

You are doing real well.—Paul

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS