Landscape

This post has 1 Reply | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
mickeyt52 wrote
on 13 Jul 2014 12:41 PM

I'm interested in painting rural scenes, especially old farm buildings...not dilapidated, but those that have 'settled' comfortably in their surroundings. Using images from google doesn't quite cut it...I wonder if anyone has gone right out to a farm and asked if they could take photographs (I'm not yet ready for the plein air experience), and how they responded to such a request?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 612
Points 5,340
on 13 Jul 2014 1:30 PM

Mickey—

I'm usually taking photos in the city. However, through the years, I have had to get permission before taking photos in many different types of locations. I learned this the hard way by getting kicked out of railroad yards and department stores when I didn't have permission to photograph. So long as you are not interrupting their work or intruding in some way, most people will let you take photos.

The best thing to do is try it. No doubt, you will find someone who will let you take photos. It would be a good idea to have some business cards printed so you have some professional identification. Your first job is convincing the owner that you are who you say you are.

Just a few words of caution: I think a woman should definitely have a friend with her, rather than making the inquiries and doing the photo shoot alone. The friend can be introduced as your "associate" or "photo assistant". Take all the common sense safety precautions—such as having your cell phone with you and your car nearby.

Paul

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS