My first acrylic painting was a mess.. need some advice

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
prisoner33 wrote
on 12 Jul 2014 12:19 AM

Hi, guys,

I decided to do something for my wall, so I need it big and colorful. Then I watched a tutorial on Youtube and followed step by step. However, the outcome was just a mess.

I painted a city with reflections. I don't need perfect details for the city, so I think the upper half is not too bad, but the reflection is just a disaster.. Although I just want to do "abstract" painting, but I just screwed up...and it looks like horror picture right now...

Can anyone help me on the reflections?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,358
Points 1,619,545
American Artist Staff
Editor
on 12 Jul 2014 9:46 AM

Hi,

From what I know of painting water and reflections, the reflections are darker than the actual objects on land. Be mindful of that and I think it will help. All best,

Courtney

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
kristiekoz wrote
on 16 Jul 2014 9:13 PM

First off, for this being your first painting you did a great job! I have not experimented with reflections yet but I think that your reflections still work for this. Hang it on your wall and be proud! Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
kristiekoz wrote
on 16 Jul 2014 9:14 PM

PS - Don't forget to sign it too! Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 100
studyart9 wrote
on 13 Oct 2014 12:22 AM

Your painting is looking nice. As per your question first you has to know the rules of reflections, I didn't said to go for deep study. Like composition of colors to the edges of water, in stable water reflection get darker etc. You can also join art workshops for shot duration of time. As "kristiekoz" said everytime sign your painting. Good Luck for your next...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS