Critique requested (Gently - chuckle)

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
on 10 Jul 2014 12:53 PM

Okay, it's been 21 years since I've painted.  I work in oils and decided to start painting again.  I'm attaching a picture of where I am now in the process.  Would love suggestions and feedback.  This is pretty scary for me, I don't usually put things out there for people to look at and critique ... I can't seem to get a picture that really shows "how" it really looks .. this is close

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,375
Points 1,722,310
American Artist Staff
Editor
on 11 Jul 2014 3:13 PM

Hi there!

There are some really good passages here. The landscape reads realistically with the hints of sunlight and shadow in the crevices of the hills. Is there a storm moving in? The gray expanse on the left is in strong contrast to the sunlight on the right. If that is your intention, I would continue to try to blend the two together. Keep up the work! Congrats on getting back to your art!!

Courtney

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
on 11 Jul 2014 7:34 PM

Thanks Courtney!  I live in the southwest and sometimes the expanse is such that you have a storm on one side and sun/clouds on the other.  That's what I'm trying to accomplish and I agree with you of the need to blend to two more.  Thanks for your confirmation.  I've "piled" sooo much paint on this canvas, correcting this and correcting that.  I'm heavy handed with the paint.  It's good to be back at again.  Thanks for your input!

Lejuana

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
claudlili wrote
on 11 Jul 2014 8:31 PM

Hi,I hope the critique was open to anyone and you won't find me rude. I actually LOVE the sky just as is and the top part of the landscape. The only thing I would change is the foreground. As things get closer to us they tend to be more in focus,the darkest darks will occur closer rather than in the distance,the more brilliant colors also. It's a wonderful painting!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
on 12 Jul 2014 1:23 AM

Oh yes, open to anyone! Thanks for your insight. I'm still working on it and am feeling stuck with what to do with the foreground. It's been a long time, and I don't have an actual picture to reference. I usually have a pix & copy that almost verbatim, but with this one I just started painting. Of course I have tons of reference pictures taken over the years, but I don't usually "compose" the layout. It's good to have a place to share, receive input etc. I feel very happy that you like it... It's nice to have feedback from others than family or friend . Thanks! 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS