ALL MEDIA CHALLENGE 44 - JULY 2014

This post has 80 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 20 Jul 2014 5:19 AM

Sarah, thank you for your comment on my photo. Me with gray hair!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 24 Jul 2014 3:25 AM

Hello Alex....silver not grey!!!!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Jul 2014 9:47 AM

this isn't as 'finished' as I would like it to be but the egg-tempera dried even quicker than usual in the heat-wave we are experiencing.. The very dark areas are supposed to be much darker but have scanned more brownish. Original  painting  6.5" x 5.0" on heavy HP Bockingford.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 27 Jul 2014 10:09 AM

Sarah, I always admire your work with egg tempera, which can be such an unforgiving medium. You have beautifully combined the suggestion of the raccoon's body with the delicate and highly-defined areas that are in focus.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 523
Points 8,150
NealeyPea wrote
on 27 Jul 2014 10:28 AM

Sarah ~ Great painting of the raccoon!  His eyes & whiskers are nicely defined and I like the hard edge brush work on the bark and greenery.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 27 Jul 2014 3:47 PM

Before I melt.........thank you both Alex and Nealey for your kind comments..it certainly was a challenge.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 7:28 AM

Sarah, this is a wonderful painting of the raccoon. I am not familiar with egg-tempera but this is lovely. I like his face with bright eyes and white whiskers with the suggestion of his body behind. I also like your background vegetation and the wood log in front. His environment is a perfect setting for him. Well done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 8:33 AM

Hello Bonnie,

you and Alex and Nealey have all been so kind...especially when I didn't think it was 'good' enough to upload..

Egg tempera is egg yolk and pigment. I used to make my own but now I can buy it in tubes. Time consuming to use but a painting/design can be left and returned to as often as you like.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,365
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 11:18 PM

Sarah, Great painting of the Raccoon. He works so well with his woodsy bg and has a very alert and quizzical expression. Nicely done.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,365
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Jul 2014 11:24 PM

Well I am back safe and sound and had a lovely time.

The studio survived a big storm but the shade tree was not so lucky! Today they cut it down. :(

I started this fishy painting before I left but could not get into it and I still am not feeling good about is. but here is where I am.

12 x 16 oil on canvas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 29 Jul 2014 4:01 AM

Thanks Jen...flash flooding, extreme heat and thunder storms here!

I must ask you Jen...did you make a composition thumbnail for the fishy  or did you just plunge in? (sorry, unintended pun) The vegetation looks uncannily like the fallen tree!!!!  Looking forward to seeing the finished work..

p.s.....out of curiosity, after seeing Karens Iris (Wet Canvas Challenge) I looked in on the site (I used to post there at one time)  I also had a look in on PMP...I am still a member although I haven't uploaded work onsite for as long as I have posted to AD's and I noticed SAM was featured as member of the month....have you heard anything from her or Marsha lately?

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,330
karend84 wrote
on 29 Jul 2014 6:14 PM

Sarah your raccoon is wonderful.  You feel like he is looking right at you watching every move.

Jen you have a nice start on the fish.  You just need to go a little further and you'll figure out what to change.  I can see an angel fish in the back.   

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 30 Jul 2014 12:08 PM

Hello Karen,

thank you for your kind comments...the painting is on a small display easel in my kitchen...where I paint..........I shall have to move it as I can feel its eyes watching me!

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,365
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Jul 2014 3:56 PM

Sarah, no I didn't do a real thumbnail. I took several references and combined them into a picture. I should have taken more time to connect the dots. I  just don't have a complete picture and it is not turning into the colourful painting I had in mind. I may scrap the whole thing and start over. 

I haven't heard from Marsha or Sammy in several months.

Karen, thanks for the positive support! I just am not inspired at the moment. I probably just need to settle down from my trip.

i hope more people join in it is very quiet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 523
Points 8,150
NealeyPea wrote
on 30 Jul 2014 7:08 PM

Sarah ~ I also saw that Sam was the featured person of the month.  So now we are "friends" on PMP, although I have not contributed anything on that site yet.

Turps ~ Good for you to plunge into painting right after coming home!  If you envisioned a colorful paintin and are not happy so far, try it Jackson Pollack style.Stick out tongue Glad your trip went well & hope your husband's surgery comes out well.  Yes it sure has been a quiet month here.  I hope Geri gets a computer online again soon.  I miss seeing a lot of the "regulars" AND the new people.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Page 5 of 6 (81 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS