never bought sepia color, please help, oil or watercolor how can I mix it,

I have ideas, but need confirmation please, thank you Lyne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 1,455
Lyne M wrote
on 15 May 2014 5:54 AM

my bible of artist is still packed I know it is in brown tones, I've did many but I was not sure, thank you

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 1,455
Lyne M wrote
on 16 May 2014 5:38 AM

excuse me for my misunderstanding I am french, thank you for understanding have a great day

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 612
Points 5,325
on 16 May 2014 11:07 AM

Lyne—

I paint in watercolor. I can give you an idea of how I, personally, use sepia.

Most of the time I use sepia in small amounts to give a dark mix some extra depth. For an earth color, sepia is quite neutral, balanced well between warm and cool.

In the past, burnt umber was an excellent mixing color. Some years ago the pigment source of burnt umber became too rare and too expensive to obtain. The burnt umber we have available now is an attempt to match true burnt umber. Usually it is much lighter than is needed and leans to the yellow side. However, a touch of sepia mixed with burnt umber comes close to the traditional burnt umber hue. This "corrected mix" of burnt umber can then be mixed with blue hues without them quickly shifting to the green side.

Also a touch of sepia with winsor blue, winsor green or winsor violet can produce a version of "black" that can work well as a ultra dark accent.

Other artists—particularly impressionists—may abhor the use of any earth tones. Others may use it sparingly. I hope this gives you an idea of how you may be able to begin to experiment with sepia.

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 1,455
Lyne M wrote
on 23 May 2014 7:08 AM

thank you Paul, yes this will help

again thank you and have a great day.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS