Help with my underpainting? I can't tell what is wrong..

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Scalder wrote
on 1 May 2014 12:24 AM

I need help with my underpainting. I feel like something is off, but I can't tell what. I'm the only one that is seeing this, so another pair of eyes can help a bunch. 

Also, please note that the picture was taken at a slight angle so the perspective is a liiiiiittle off. 

Thanks in advance!

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 7:43 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what you think might be "off," but...

I think this is an interesting picture!  To me, (as far as I can tell from here) it looks like it's about a muse, guiding the artist's hand (?)  If this is the case, I don't think it's necessary to depict the wrist/arm.  It would look more symbolic if just the hand were shown.  If I were you, I would take a piece of blank paper and hold it over the top of the picture to see if you might want to crop some off.  I think this might improve the positioning of the subject at hand (haha--bad pun?)

...and instead of cutting the top off, I would think about painting over it with more of the same (beautiful) geometric design from the bottom of the picture.  (Or collage another piece of drawing above the hand). That could be interesting.  I like the idea of the hand coming into the painting, mysteriously--more from the edge, as opposed to being right in the middle of the picture.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Scalder wrote
on 4 May 2014 2:48 AM

Thank you so much for your response! I think I might have been staring at it too long, and it started to not look like hands anymore! I don't know if the finger placement makes sense or if things look distorted to anyone else,tor if I was just being crazy.

Interesting idea with the wrist. Taking it off may help my odd feeling. I was originally thinking about putting a wrist on the second hand, but I'll see what it looks like taking the wrist off altogether first. I put the geometric shapes in on a whim, but i think i might keep them. And putting them over the wrist totally makes sense to me.

Thank you so much!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS