Pricing Artwork

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
Akadok wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 8:55 PM

So I decided to try my hand at painting just for fun and somehow managed to have someone want to buy my painting within 2 hours..... The buyer wants to display the original in a beauty salon and would also like to use it on their business cards as a logo.

I have no idea of pricing or anything and would really like some suggestions on what to charge for something like that? The painting is around A3 size, french feel abstract portrait. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! 

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 345
on 8 May 2014 8:58 AM

There are several ideas re: pricing....just check the internet for information, or look at comparable pieces.  For me, I look at the cost of the canvas, the materials and then pay myself a per hour amount.  This isnt just for straight painting, but also for the time for study and design work.  Dont forget to add amount for shipping/taxes, etc.  Help yourself by creating a little cheat sheet with the various sizes you use, quality of canvas; textural/non-textural and per hour amount.  Once you get used to this, it will be much easier to just judge for yourself what you should ask. 

Dont sell yourself short, but also, dont price yourself out of  the market.  When you get a "name" for yourself, you can adjust prices from there.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 345
on 8 May 2014 9:05 AM

Just saw the part about using it on their cards as a logo.  For this, you will need to check much further.  It is, after all, your creation.  This should entail something more legal/contractual.  I suggest discussing this with a copyright attorney.....and be sure to get it copyrighted ASAP.  Dont agree to anything until you know the legalities are, and something contractual is set up

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
on 8 May 2014 12:25 PM

Akadok—

Congratulations on the sale of your painting. It is always a good feeling to have someone like your work enough to purchase it.

I have spent many years as a professional artist. I have done a lot of paintings and designed a lot of logos. So, I think I can help you to some extent.

You have two different things to consider here. One is the painting price and the other is the price of the painting as a logo. The moment you completed the painting, you were the owner of the copyright of the painting. When you sell the painting you are selling just the painting. You do not sell the copyright of the painting at the same time. You still own the copyright of the painting. The new owner of the painting has the right to display the painting and consider it his property. However, the new owner does not have the right to reproduce the painting in any way. For instance, he does not have the right to use it on a business card or stationary.

For the new owner to use the painting as a logo, he must purchase the reproduction rights (the copyright) from you. I strongly suggest that there be two separate sales. One should be for the painting alone. The second, should be for the reproduction rights as a logo, the copyright. When you sell the reproduction rights, give the buyer a signed/dated paper stating you are selling them the copyright to the painting. That is all that is needed.

In either case, I can not tell you how much to charge for the painting. You will have to figure that out.  However, I believe the reproduction rights as a logo should be much higher. The logo will be the visual identity of the business. As such, it may appear in many ways. The new owner could even decide to make prints of the painting or use it on Christmas cards.

Paul Sullivan

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS