GOOD AND BAD critique welcome. Share your opinion. Acrylic mixed media Abstract

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
LieneLazdina wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 5:44 AM

Hello fellow creative minds,

Here you have a few of my latest abstract paintings, that I am looking for any sort of critique. Ive had a long pause of not painting and just getting back into it now, so would appreciate any guidance on abstract from other artists and creative minds out there.

And how do you price your paintings?? any formula you use?
The size of these are:
whiter two are ''twins'' 20''x24'' canvas
the colorful one is approx 20''x30'' canvas

THANKS,
Liene

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 376
Points 5,805
on 2 May 2014 12:09 PM

I cannot offer you any guidance on abstract art or the pricing of art, but I do want to say that I enjoy your work very much.  Particularly the one with the brightest colour.  This colour behind the abstract work gives it life to my minds eye, like it's gone POW and sent things flying.   I has depth.  I find it very interesting and enjoyable to look at.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 345
on 2 May 2014 1:49 PM

Love these...dont mess with what you are doing.  I love the fresh mix of punk and oriental art.  I am a texture freak and appreciate the addition that belongs without being intrusive to the rest of the piece.  Any more added would take away from the rest.  You got it down pat.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 562
Points 4,740
on 3 May 2014 12:49 PM

Liene—

I like these paintings very much. In the dark/light paintings your handling of space and shapes is excellent. While I like all three paintings, these first two are especially good. You have a marvelous study in contrasts here. The textured areas and the subtle shapes in the light areas work wonderfully. I am not sure you need the "evergreen branch" shapes. Regardless, the gold-brown touches of color work great.

I'd like to add a couple of raw design comments that have little basis in logic.
These are my personal thoughts and feel free to ignore them:
With paintings like this—especially abstract paintings—a larger size adds immeasurably to the power of the painting. Even a 20% or 30% increase in size on the first two would be a big help.
Regarding a similar point— you are dealing with space. The shape of the area on which you are working plays a big part in the total design. I think these first two would be more interesting on a more vertically shaped canvas. Two things can happen with a square, or close to square canvas. It can explain its shape too quickly or there can be unneeded tension between the vertical and horizontal dimensions. You might try exploiting this "square tension" some time as the basis of a design. 

Keep up the wonderful work—
Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
LieneLazdina wrote
on 14 May 2014 11:36 AM

Thank you for your opinion, Valeriemalley,

I really appreciate any words. often it happens that I look at them every day and start doubting if they are finished or not, see more and more things i think should be changed, and eventually only see the faults... And its good to know what others see with a fresh eye look, you know. Thanks

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
LieneLazdina wrote
on 14 May 2014 11:41 AM

To Abstracted Perceptions:

ooo! Thats so interesting what you said: the part about mix of punk and oriental art. It was created without thinking about that at all, and now im keen to research about that type of art, thanks for that ;)

I am with you about the textures, I just simply cannot imagine any of my works without textures, love love love textures, and want to try more and more new ways and techniques (can you advise any good sources online or printed about textures, where you find new ideas?).

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
LieneLazdina wrote
on 14 May 2014 11:57 AM

To Paul Sullivan,

Just had a look at some of your works, and they took my breath away, my partner is a photographer and he saw me looking at your website and said: nice photographs! And I replied to him: they are paintings!!!! so beautiful. One day when I get a bit bored with acrylics I will continue learning further watercolor painting as well. In the meantime,I need to improve on my patience, because no doubt you spend a decent time on various steps to create a finished peace.

Thank you so much for such an in depth opinion, its exactly what I was looking for. Reading your comment was like putting the words down, because I felt that something could be improved, but wasnt quite sure what exactly, plus now when I dont have my art teachers around, its sometimes hard to find that valuable opinion&critique from someone else (that knows about art). Thank you very much Paul, I hope I get some of your valuable opinion on my future posts. That would be wonderful!

I strongly agree about the size of abstract paintings. I am now looking to order larger sized canvases and see how I manage to fill up bigger spaces. I am trying to increase the size slowly, and train myself to create good composition, values and textures on bigger size. So much to try, learn, its so exciting!!! Why did I not paint for ten years??? Silly me! It brings so much joy into life..

Listen up everyone! Go and paint, draw and create! It will only bring you more happiness :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 562
Points 4,740
on 14 May 2014 12:56 PM

Liene—

I just came in from the studio for a few minutes and read your kind words. You made my day!

Increasing the size of your work slightly is the way to begin working larger. I love your work. Just keep doing striking works like these—things that come straight from the heart.

I am a great believer in preliminary work—thumbnails, sketches, notes and color studies. Keep putting your impressions and feelings on paper and canvas. You have a lot to share with the rest of us.

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 155
KellyW91 wrote
on 22 May 2014 7:20 AM

I loved your work..awesome abstracts :) I'd love to see more .... 

Exporting Art - A DEDICATED ONLINE RESOURCE FOR THE ART WORLD

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
Dominik77 wrote
on 28 May 2014 7:03 AM

imho they look good! not to much colour, nice texture... well, i can't paint abstract pictures which look that good, that's for sure.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS