Painting Journey

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
Don Paint wrote
on 18 Apr 2014 9:44 AM

What is the meaning for nowadays artist to continue the painting job if we cannot gain any feedback, any response, and any sales at all?

If painting is something for self-enjoyment, it is good.  But how can it be sustained ?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 614
Points 5,330
on 19 Apr 2014 6:10 PM

Don—

It is difficult to make a reasonable living doing nothing but fine art painting. The fact is that most artists have to support themselves in other ways. This is usually the case until they think they can take a chance at trying to make it doing fine art full time. As one artist put it recently, art is a luxury that many people feel they can do without.

Some of us can work in careers that run parallel to fine art, occupations that allow us to use our art and design talent. Art teaching, graphic design and illustration are examples of this. However these fields can be highly competitive and may demand specialized skills.

You have mentioned that an artist needs feed back, response of some kind and sales. This may seem obvious but the first step is to have your work seen. Enter your work in as many local exhibits as you can. Ask about showing your work at local shows and festivals. The world will not come to you. You have to call attention to your work. As you gain some success with minor exhibits and sales, keep an accurate record of this. In doing so, you will be establishing credentials for your self—information you can use when approaching a gallery.

There is another dimension to doing artwork. Art can add an enrichment to your life. You can experience the special thrill of creativity and accomplishment. This is something few people ever have the chance to feel. You should always continue to develop your talent. At a later time in your life, you may be able to devote yourself to art full time.

Personally, I worked a long career as a graphic designer and illustrator. These were two fields I truly enjoyed. Now, that I am retired, I work full time as a fine artist.

Good luck—

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
Don Paint wrote
on 20 Apr 2014 10:02 PM

Paul -

Great to learn from your experience towards the life of fine art.

I agree to your suggestion that the artwork have to be seen and keep accurate records.  Although the process is long, it can call attention to one's work and probably it will be appreciated by someone in someday.

Do you think join those on-line exhibition or contests will be useful?  I note that most of these activities are organised in US.  There are many and many artists painting with high quality work, but it seems to me that most paintings fall into beautiful landscape, flowers, portrait etc.  Would it be the main stream in US paintings?  Maybe decorative art has the highest market in US.

I am happy to hear that you have been a designer and retried to be a full time fine artist now.  I wish to be full time artist, but as you said, it is almost impossible to earn living as artist today.  I just squeeze my time after my full time job, and enjoy creative painting in my small workshop.  Hong Kong is quite different to US and other countries over the world.  We have very small working area because of rocket high rental cost.  We cannot make large art piece because of no space for storage.  Exhibition is less for local artist, but a billion of auction market on great art piece here.  We create art works, and hide them up for small group appreciation.  I do look forward to exploring more oversea's exhibition opportunity.  If you have some suggestion, I am happy to learn from you.

If you have time, please go to my website to enjoy my artwork, and welcome to your comment.  http://donchan.fineartstudioonline.com/workszoom/1352476/fly-with-memory

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

Grateful if you could share some of your art work to me.

Thanks & regards

Don

• Filed under:
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 614
Points 5,330
on 24 Apr 2014 4:24 PM

Don—

I have visited your website and I want to compliment you on your work. You have a lot of talent. I think your watercolors are especially good.

I want to encourage you to try to find ways of exhibiting your work locally. This may take some imagination. However, showing your work locally is the first big step.You might think of places you could show your work for about a month at a time. Hospitals and hotels are good possibilities. I have had two one man shows of my work in the lobby of the Mayo Clinic here in Arizona. I think hospital and hotel lobby areas are good for exhibition. There are many people in these areas and you do not have the visual competition of other art work.

I had a painting in the Shenzhen Watercolor Biennial. I know there are so many excellent watercolor artists in China and in the Hong Kong area. Have you had a chance to meet any of them? Can you ask any of them for a short meeting? Admire their work, show them your work and ask for advice. We all have to make our own way but occasionally we need a little help.

The trick is to never get discouraged. You asked about some of my work. Here is a link to my website:
http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Best of luck—

Paul

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
Don Paint wrote
on 27 Apr 2014 11:11 AM

Paul -

Thanks for visiting my website and your appreciation. I liked watercolour painting very much in the past.  However, when I have a chance to contact with oil painting, I find it amazing and its texture is thicker.  It provides me with better imaginative dimension, and apparently can make viewers to have deeper thinking when look at the painting.

Thanks for your suggestion to make more local exhibition in some public space.  I will try to explore any opportunity of it.  Unfortunately, in Hong Kong, almost all exhibition space needs expensive rental cost.  It hinders many artists to show their artwork.  Moreover, there is less channel to contact with local artists because we do not have many social interactions between each other like western culture. But, I think it is good to have more sharing among the artists.  As you have mentioned, artist should need someone to help in reality.

I visit your website too.  Your watercolour paintings are excellent.  I especially love the contrast of the tone in sunny scene.  Every painting shows a nice feeling and happy emotion.  I believe this reflects the painter's characteristics because you should be optimistic and happy living.

Best regards

Don

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
Don Paint wrote
on 27 Apr 2014 11:11 AM

Paul -

Thanks for visiting my website and your appreciation. I liked watercolour painting very much in the past.  However, when I have a chance to contact with oil painting, I find it amazing and its texture is thicker.  It provides me with better imaginative dimension, and apparently can make viewers to have deeper thinking when look at the painting.

Thanks for your suggestion to make more local exhibition in some public space.  I will try to explore any opportunity of it.  Unfortunately, in Hong Kong, almost all exhibition space needs expensive rental cost.  It hinders many artists to show their artwork.  Moreover, there is less channel to contact with local artists because we do not have many social interactions between each other like western culture. But, I think it is good to have more sharing among the artists.  As you have mentioned, artist should need someone to help in reality.

I visit your website too.  Your watercolour paintings are excellent.  I especially love the contrast of the tone in sunny scene.  Every painting shows a nice feeling and happy emotion.  I believe this reflects the painter's characteristics because you should be optimistic and happy living.

Best regards

Don

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS