Stripes - thoughts please

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
LeanneMorril wrote
on 8 Apr 2014 8:27 PM

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a project to paint a piece to enter into a paint and print competition in New Zealand and I was hoping to get some feed back on my concept and advice on techniques to use.

I had in my mind an idea to do an ode to Ralph Hotere, a Kiwi artist who passed away last year. He is one of New Zealand's most acclaimed painter and print maker see the following link.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/arts/8345086/Ralph-Hotere-dies-age-81

Inspiration for this piece came from Sean Scully who did a painting entitled 'Vincent 2002' in an abstract way which was in turn inspired by Vincent Van Goghs 'Vincents Chair With His Pipe, 1888'.

My idea is to take Hotere's 'Black Phoenix Installation' and reinterpret it on canvas, using deep dark sombre colours and the occasional splash of gold (see following image).

here are a couple of my experiments, they are a little messy as they are works in progress so a little imagination is needed.

Anyhow your thoughts, advice, critic would be very much appreciated.

Leanne

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 235
RWMcRae wrote
on 21 Apr 2014 5:22 PM

I like the idea a lot. It looks like Scully's painting looks woven - are you planning on going woven also? As far as color schemes, I like the middle painting the best. The metallic blue against the white and black looks pretty stunning.

Art: (n) Long periods of staring at a canvas, interrupted by frantic bouts of activity followed by swearing.

The Arthouse

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 310
on 8 May 2014 9:29 AM

Here is where you need to decide whether you are going to make these starkly graphic, with hard edges, or more painterly.  If the latter, then think about adding more depth, with either texture, pattern, metallic or blending/highlighting.  This is a good base/study, but now refine. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS