Please critique my textured acrylic canvas artwork "elephant strength"

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 95
sm.obrien wrote
on 6 Apr 2014 11:35 PM

Hi Everyone

I have used watercolour before however this is my firest textured acrylic canvas.

The painting is 65cm x 45cm and is entitled "elephant strength"

The inspiration is we all need the strength of an elephant to overcome life's challengers/obstacles.

Please let me know your feedback, how does it make you feel and is it good enought to sell?

Thank you in advance

Sarah

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 255
on 7 Apr 2014 3:34 PM

Shalom

It does convey the strength of the  old animal and wisest of them all, the perspective is amazing and the texture adds to the beauty of it all

(I might add some shading to the tusk...maybe?)

Thank you for sharing (from one who loves elephants)

s. steiner

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 255
on 7 Apr 2014 3:34 PM

Shalom

It does convey the strength of the  old animal and wisest of them all, the perspective is amazing and the texture adds to the beauty of it all

(I might add some shading to the tusk...maybe?)

Thank you for sharing (from one who loves elephants)

s. steiner

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 370
Msblueeyes wrote
on 7 Apr 2014 7:47 PM

I would buy it.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 6:53 PM

Hi,

I like how you created different textural areas.  It looks like you scratched into the paint to create the wrinkled skin, and that's perfect!  I like how the tusk looks like a geometric-abstraction.  The warm amber color you used for the eye is nice in contrast to the grey surrounding it.  I think it would be good to use that same amber color to glaze some areas of the painting--particularly over the tusk (I would also add some gray shading/textual lines).  This would soften the white glare, which is a little distracting; and it would allow more attention to be drawn to the other, aforementioned areas of interest.

I think you could sell this picture--UNLESS, of course, there could be any issues regarding copyright infringement!?  ;-) ...in which case I would use the very same techniques to paint another (series of) paintings with different compositions.  The current composition is nice in that the elephant fills the canvas, suggesting boldness, power, and size.

I like your message about overcoming life's challenges... this design could easily be made into a nice poster if you made a longer (bright white tusk) with some inspirational/meaningful (and hopefully not trite) text somehow integrated into the white space!  I think you could definitely sell those posters.  (But again, in that case, I would be sure to use your own, original composition).

...or if you're not into that, I think the paintings could also stand on their own!  

Thanks for showing this, I am inspired by the way you handled the paint :)

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 310
on 5 May 2014 12:38 PM

I agree, the tusk needs to be longer & have more shadow to show the curvature.  Dont forget the varnish....will bring out more of the texture and various gray tones

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
lucy_fog wrote
on 23 Jun 2014 8:56 PM

It made me feel very intimidated and small. Strong painting. I was surprised by the style and technique when I first laid eyes on it. How did you achieve all the different textures? Do you mind sharing? This will sell. I have trouble selling my best works; find it difficult to part with them. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS